I just froze my starter!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paulster2626

Reaction score
So just about to pitch the yeast, and where did I pit that starter again? Oh yeah, I stuck it in the freezer for 20 minutes to try to clear it up a bit. Except I forgot it was there an now it's solid as a rock. Going to thaw it, then pitch it. We will see what happens!!

image-2522916730.jpg

Just listened to the white brothers on an '09 episode of the session. They said let it thaw naturally and plan for 10% viability loss. iirc

Let it thaw overnight, pitched it yesterday morning, and still nothing. This sucks! I'm betting the blow off will be bubbling like a mo-fo when I get home today. Hope so, because I really don't want to buy another $10 package of yeast.

This is a Rochefort 8 clone too - so lots of time invested in making candi sugar, long mash and boil times, etc. Can't lose this one!

Let it thaw overnight, pitched it yesterday morning, and still nothing. This sucks! I'm betting the blow off will be bubbling like a mo-fo when I get home today.

Hope you are right but my money is on them having been destroyed.

Just popped the lid. There is a mild krausen. Ferm chamber is a tad on the chilly side (58F) so it'll be a slow go for a couple days until she really gets rockin.

I can safely forget about this one for a while. As always, looks like everything is gonna be okay...

EDIT: And now it's ROCKIN! Blow-off is going nuts, and I nearly passed out from the CO2 in the chamber. I will post a full review of the beer for future search-savvy brewers. Sadly this won't happen until January!

Back