help needed (flamenting)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

polland1983

Reaction score
hi 2day i have started my 1st trail brew b4 i use my real kit but am having alot of problems i am brewing a cheep alki pop using 3 oranges 1, 5ltr bottle of still water 1/2 lb of sugar beer yeast yeast nutraints and will b adding orange concintrate wen and if it flements

1st problem or mistake i made was just putting in nutraints but added yeast 10mins ltr wen realized it didnt have yeast in

then the amount of yeast i added was a sachet for 22.5 ltrs wen the batch is only 5ltrs

now 2 the stupid part wer i think i have messed it all up completly. i noticed the sugar was all stuck at bottom so i tightned cap turned upside down and shoock 2 get it 2 fall 2 top it worked and only small amount went back 2 bottom but now no yeast sedaments r floating at top will this still flement ? should i do anythingels i do not want to add anymore yeast as it already has way more than it should have.

any advice will b greatfuly welcomed as this is my 1st time brewing anything

(hope i have posted this in right place)

that link you posted goes a long way in explaining what you're doing. essentially you're mixing sugar, water, a little fruit juice and some yeast.

if i understand your situation (i think i do, not sure) i believe that you'll be fine. doesn't really matter when you add the yeast nutrient, and your shaking didn't hurt anything. fermentation should work just fine.

honestly, that recipe/method for fermenting sugar water sounds disgusting. "alki pop" sounds like something a 8 year asks his mom for. glad to hear that you'll be moving on to making real beer.

lol i know its prob not gona taste gd but was realy cheep 2 get stuff 2gether i have all the stuff here for making 22.5 ltrs of coopers draught but 2 scared 2 use it thats y i thought id try this cheeper option 1st 2 try give me a better understanding of the way the flementing prosses works and give me a bit more confidence wen using my real kit its done oposit tho lol

Step 1 - whatever you do, don't flament anything. Only heartache awaits.
Step 2 - read "how to brew"
Step 3 - brew beer

This is all you need to know.

sweetcell said:
"alki pop" sounds like something a 8 year asks his mom for. glad to hear that you'll be moving on to making real beer.

While I had the feeling he isn't exactly of age, it surprisingly had nothing to do with "alki pop"... well, almost nothing, anyways.

Alcopop is a term, mostly used in Europe (where AFAIK it's the most popular term), that refers to sweet, usually fizzy, ready-mixed drinks. What we typically refer to as "coolers". Think Mike's Hard, Smirnoff Ice, Bacardi Breezers, Zima, etc

Yes, 'alco-pops' are usually like soda with some generic grain spirit added (mostly vodka). Full of artificial flavours, colours and overly sweet.

Flementing? Might want to see a doctor about that.

While I had the feeling he isn't exactly of age,

Alcopop is a term, mostly used in Europe (where AFAIK it's the most popular term), that refers to sweet, usually fizzy, ready-mixed drinks. What we typically refer to as "coolers". Think Mike's Hard, Smirnoff Ice, Bacardi Breezers, Zima, etc

What is the legal age in Scotland?

So alcopop = cheerleader beer

lol cfonnes yeah i just kinda spell the way i say things i can spell normaly but just bn talkn like this on fb and stuff for years so lost the will 2 spell normaly which aint a gd thing wen fillin out forms and writing letters n stuff but im kinda proud of the scotish accent bn from scotland it is heavily scotish
and emjay i am 28 but i do have a 2year old daughter and she can spell better than me haha

and lol yeah alcopop is like what girls drink i suppose but usualy not as strong as 15% which im aiming for yeah legal age for alcohole is 18 but my dad took me for my 1st pint in a pub at 12 which is resonalble coz he was took for is 1st drink with my grandad at the age of 10 lol wen u reach double figures here ur a man haha

heres a question for ya all wen flementing has finished and all my yeast is still mixed in with my drink will i taste the yeast or should i say is it ok 2 drink yeast ?

since i aint using my air lock on this cheep alcopop stuff i didnt have much idea if it was bubblin so i closed cap for about an hour then wen i opened there was a massive gas release so its doin its stuff :) :) :)

Haha this is great! Yes pollard it's okay to drink the yeast. . . . But you might be the one that gets Hershey squirts and as my daughter calls it - poopgas.

If it's a plastic bottle then it will continue to expand as the CO2 builds up. Only way to know if flamentation is done is when you have a stable gravity reason over several days.

ok fermenting lol sorry sweet cell we just say it difrent 2 u guys and i spell things the way a say them il start callin it by its right name tho so i dont confuse u haha

wat is a stable gravity ?
fermentation 101:

yeast turn sugars of various types into CO2 and alcohol. sugar is denser than water, alcohol is less dense than water. so as sugar water becomes alcoholic, it becomes less dense. "specific gravity" (also known as relative density) is a way of measuring the density of the brew. pure water has a density of 1.000, unfermented/pre-fermented) beer, also called wort, typically has a starting gravity (or Original Gravity, OG) of 1.040 and higher. as the yeast munch through the sugars, the gravity drops - until there is nothing left for them to eat and the gravity stops dropping. that's called your Final Gravity, FG. no matter how much longer you wait, the gravity won't drop anymore - that's when fermentation is complete.

there are two tools you can use to measure gravity, the cheapest and most popular one is called a hydrometer (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydrometer). they way to be sure that your brew has finished fermenting is to get 3 readings, over 3 days, that show the same unchanged density.

your "alki pop" recipe doesn't call for this, since the goal there is to make your brew with as little equipment as possible. instead, they tell you wait 7 days and you're essentially hoping the the brew is done. there is always a chance that it isn't.

if your beer kit came with a hydrometer, you can use it on your sugar-water brew.

kl yeah i have a hydrometer thingy il have 2 search n find out exsactly how 2 use it plus i wanna find out if it can b boiled 2 sterilize coz the cleaning powder i have called vwp smells like clorine u get in a swimming pool i have used it on a few bits of equipment i am using and dont trust it as it says on tub its irritant that cant b gd on like a hydrometer which i think would have parts u cant rinse off right i have ordered sum 1 step stuff for when i make 1st batch of beer in hope i will feel more comfertable with that

i would like to say a big thank you to everyone who has gave me some advice this site is great and you all have realy helped me alot and made me feel a hell of alot more confident about starting my 1st real brew

lol cfonnes yeah i just kinda spell the way i say things i can spell normaly but just bn talkn like this on fb and stuff for years so lost the will 2 spell normaly which aint a gd thing wen fillin out forms and writing letters n stuff but im kinda proud of the scotish accent bn from scotland it is heavily scotish
and emjay i am 28 but i do have a 2year old daughter and she can spell better than me haha

Good to the see the rest of the world is following us down the path of illiteracy.

what i dont understand is if my spelling and my comments bother you so much then why take the time to read and reply to them

what i dont understand is if my spelling and my comments bother you so much then why take the time to read and reply to them

Well, because they're too awful to look away from. Much like a car crash or Jar Jar Binks.
Please learn how to write in English - not for your sake, but for ours.

kl yeah i have a hydrometer thingy il have 2 search n find out exsactly how 2 use it
typically you pull a sample from the brew into a tall thin cylinder (like this: http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/economy-test-jar.html) and then drop the hydrometer in there. this limits how much brew you lose to testing... i say "lose" because it's best to not return the sample to the fermenter. instead, you should taste it (or throw it out). you don't want to risk contaminating your batch. wasting (more like spending) a quarter of a glass on taking a sample is a small price to pay, you'll have plenty left over.

plus i wanna find out if it can b boiled 2 sterilize
depends on what the hydrometer is made of. if its glass, i believe it can be boiled but you need to be really careful with it when it's hot - it can easily be broken. and once it's boiled, you need to be careful not to re-contaminate it before you use it.

a much better solution is to use Star San or Iodophor. Star San cost a little, but a little goes a long way and it saves you sooooooooo many headaches.

You've never heard of the Cheezburger network? Failblog, lolcatz, etc? Google them, you will thank me later. Your productivity at work may suffer though.

I commented on your deliberate misspelling and grammatical issues because you are on a homebrewing forum that can offer you a tremendous amount of information. For free. Not taking the time to write your thoughts out coherently brings down the quality of the forums and turns people off from wanting to engage you in a discussion about brewing. It also comes across like you're an underage poster even though you are not.

thx sweetcell you been a great help il look for star san or iodophor i think i have seen a video of someone use it and after use he bottled it up foor re-use again if its same stuff he was using that craigtube guy he makes it all look well easy

Ok, first off, best thread ever! There is a little bit of fascination with trying to decipher polland's writing.
I'm curious if it's actually pronounced "flementing" in Scottish.

Darwin, are you aware that he's not actually writing in English? That Scots is actually recognized as a separate language? For all you know, you're the one misspelling things. :D

I'm not sure there's any excusing alkipop though. LOL

Polland, welcome to the forum. We're all glad you're going to brew beer, and we're here to help.

darwin lol the forum wont suffer coz my spelling

actually, it's against rule #7 ;) :D

rule #7 said:
Please, no "txtr" or “l337” style typing. Abbreviations are acceptable for specific terms and even the occasional lol or ROTFLMAO, but in the context of a conversation, please spell the words out. It helps to create a more readable and inviting forum experience for everyone.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/faq.php?faq=vb3_board_faq#faq_rules_regulations

lol you guys are great and yeah i have had a few whiskeys 2day and for all you that dont like my gramer or is it grammer i am trying lol and for the haggis comment i just had a genious idea if you could brew a beer using some of the spices used in haggis that would be a dam amazing brew :) im getting face paint on now for the blue face pic hope you all like haha

lol you guys are great and yeah i have had a few whiskeys 2day and for all you that dont like my gramer or is it grammer i am trying lol and for the haggis comment i just had a genious idea if you could brew a beer using some of the spices used in haggis that would be a dam amazing brew :) im getting face paint on now for the blue face pic hope you all like haha

Haha like "Braveheart Bock" or something similar. There's a great recipe challenge for someone :rockin:

To me Polland'a posts are sincere, honest, and I enjoy them. A new personality on HBT and I look forward to his future posts and threads!

Or he putting us on.

Cheers 2u n yur bru ya fonetekley speekng Scotsman!

Back