best yeast for high temp fermentation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

corrales_305

Reaction score
so this is my first time brewing and i chose a american amber ale because ales are easier to brew ive heard. anyway i live in miami and the temp is always pretty hot even in the winter. so its 78 degree at night right now and it gets hotter during the day. i wanted to know which yeast is recommended for higher temps. im still going to have my fermenter inside my house where is usually anywhere from 75-78 degees i would lower the a/c more but my wife is alway frick'in cold.....i cant understand it she is from chicago and we are in miami and she is still alway cold!!!!! i know getting a fermentor fridge is a good option but i dont have the cash right now ....also i have a fridge outside my house but i guess i would need one of those temp controller things if i was going to use it as a fermenting fridge. do i need a temp controller if i use it or can i just raise the temp to max and use it? i think there would be alot of temp fluctuation, but in not sure. what do you think? if i cant use it what yeast should i use at 75-78 degree range. for this batch i started im using safale 05 i hope it works well with the temps!!!
dreamstime_14463648.jpgthis is what my wife does all day ...RAISE THE TEMP!!!

That is too warm for US-05.

If that is the only temp you can ferment at, either look at a swamp cooler or embrace the heat and brew something like saisons, which like the heat.

Look at the Wyeast owr White Labs websites and they will list the recommended temp range for each yeast. Just remember during peak fermentation the temp of the wort will be 5-8 degrees higher than the ambient temp.

Swamp cooler for sure. Nottingham works well in those temps in my experience.

Sent from my Galaxy S 4G using Home Brew Talk for Android

make a Belgian beer, most of the belgian yeast like temp around 70-78 and grain bill is simple, you get strong beer with wired profile. Im planing on brewing belgian beers in the sumer all the rest in spring and fall

Even with Belgians you're going to want to start out lower and then ramp up to ambient temps. Otherwise you will have rocket fuel for the first few months with some of the higher gravity brews. Pitch yeast between 65-68. Try to hold under 70 for 2 days and then ramp up to ambient by day 4 or 5. Saisons can be fermented pretty warm all the way around.

3787 or 3522: Patersbier, Dubbels, Triples
3724: Saison
3944: Wit (belgian white wheat)
1388: Golden Strong (like a Duvel)

Submerge your bucket in a tub of water 6-10 inches high. Keep rotating frozen water bottles every 6-8 hours or so.

Even with Belgians you're going to want to start out lower and then ramp up to ambient temps. Otherwise you will have rocket fuel for the first few months with some of the higher gravity brews. Pitch yeast between 65-68. Try to hold under 70 for 2 days and then ramp up to ambient by day 4 or 5. Saisons can be fermented pretty warm all the way around.

3787 or 3522: Patersbier, Dubbels, Triples
3724: Saison
3944: Wit (belgian white wheat)
1388: Golden Strong (like a Duvel)

Submerge your bucket in a tub of water 6-10 inches high. Keep rotating frozen water bottles every 6-8 hours or so.

+1000 to this.

If you really can't do a swamp cooler or a ferm. chest, try doing some LOW gravity saisons. I'd use Wyeast 3724, 3711 or their Farmhouse ale (seasonal strain right now).

thaks for all the suggestions guys!!!!!next brew i will try to brew something more heat compatible!!!

OP, you realize in your picture, that the person is turning the temp down?;)

Many Belgian yeasts do well at higher temps, but not all. You definitely don't want to just get any Belgian yeast and use it around 80. The strains that I know can do well at higher temps are 3724, 1388, and 3787. Definitely avoid 1762 for elevated temps, and others I'm not sure about. I'll echo other sin suggesting to start low and either raise temps steadily or just let it free rise.

yes....... well i just slaped her because i caught her putting the temp up so she switched her finger to the temp down button and right at that exact moment i snaped the pic.....now i gotta slap her again for making me look bad in the presence of the brew forum...lol:D

yes....... well i just slaped her because i caught her putting the temp up so she switched her finger to the temp down button and right at that exact moment i snaped the pic.....now i gotta slap her again for making me look bad in the presence of the brew forum...lol:D

Yes....

because wife beating is always funny. :rolleyes:

i know getting a fermentor fridge is a good option but i dont have the cash right now ....also i have a fridge outside my house but i guess i would need one of those temp controller things if i was going to use it as a fermenting fridge. do i need a temp controller if i use it or can i just raise the temp to max and use it?

For S-05, I like to start fermentation around 64-65 degrees.

Get yourself a cheap plastic tub at Wally World or Target. Place in tub or somewhere out of the way (away from the heat ducts, if possible). Fill partially with cool water. Get yourself some ice or make some extra before you brew. Put the ice in the bucket until you get the water temperature around 64. Put the primary in the water bucket, wet a towel with the water from the bucket, and put it over the primary so that it continues to draw water from the bucket. If you have a fan, have the fan blow on the setup.

Best bet, put the bucket and stuff some place where it really annoys your wife....that's the quickest way to get her to agree to making a fermentation chamber. :)

yeah that was im gonna do. get a tub fill with water and.... put it in front of the mirror she uses to put her make-up on in the mornings........24 hrs till she begs me to build a fermentation chamer..then its off to brew some lagers that take low temps for months...:ban:

Well it appears too she has man hands. Be careful, she may slap back.

As for your OP, I agree with others that a swamp cooler will work. A tub, towel and 2 liter bottles of frozen water can cool a fermenter down pretty well.

I am currently fermenting my first saison. It's at 82 degrees. I used the private collection 3726 from Wyeast and it tastes awesome.

Is it producing a lot of acetate? I'm also looking for a good high temp strain, I used 1388 recently with my main fermentation at 65 and a satellite fermentor at 75. The satellite still produced some ethyl acetate, not much but still enough to annoy me. Does saison do any better?

McDingleberry said:
I am currently fermenting my first saison. It's at 82 degrees. I used the private collection 3726 from Wyeast and it tastes awesome.

Mine went as high as 97F. Tasting it today...a little excited.

Is it producing a lot of acetate? I'm also looking for a good high temp strain, I used 1388 recently with my main fermentation at 65 and a satellite fermentor at 75. The satellite still produced some ethyl acetate, not much but still enough to annoy me. Does saison do any better?

I would say there is some, but not too much. Right now it has an awesome balanced belgian flavor in my opinion. I get bubble gum, some clove, and some banana.

If you are looking for a relatively clean yeast that doesn't add much flavor, then this is definitely not it. As soon as I open the fermenter, I am smacked in the face with that distinctive "Belgian" aroma.

You can get an STC-1000 controller shipped on eBay for about $25, then another $15 to put it in a box and wire it up. A Love controller will run you about $75.

With a temp controller you can easily get that extra fridg managing your fermentation to within 1 degree.

McDingleberry said:
As soon as I open the fermenter, I am smacked in the face with that distinctive "Belgian" aroma.

to quote from Anchorman, "It smells like a used diaper filled with Indian food!"

I would say there is some, but not too much. Right now it has an awesome balanced belgian flavor in my opinion. I get bubble gum, some clove, and some banana.

If you are looking for a relatively clean yeast that doesn't add much flavor, then this is definitely not it. As soon as I open the fermenter, I am smacked in the face with that distinctive "Belgian" aroma.

Not looking for clean per say, I like esters, just not fusel alchohols.

thatjonguy said:
Mine went as high as 97F. Tasting it today...a little excited.

Still good! Loving the 3726...but it would be better with some age.

Back