2 yeast 1 starter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fritobandito

Reaction score
I'm planning on making an all brett beer with a few different strains of brett. Could I make one 1500 mL starter and just pitch both vials into it? Or should I keep them separate.

Just found out that White Labs does not recommend both strains in the same starter. One strain will outcompete and outgrow the other.

That would also happen in the fermenter once the strain(s) are pitched. No?

Eventually yes, but not as quickly as in a starter. The starter is primarily for yeast to multiply, the faster propagating yeast will quickly win out. During fermentation the yeast shouldn't spend a lot of time actively multiplying, with a large starter of each strain you can get the characteristics of both yeast in the finished product. And keep in mind that brett works slowly in comparison to sacc.

There's really not a lot of data or research into what type (killer or neutral) beer strains are, at least from what I've tried to find. From what I could find, and from what I've read about people doing, almost all, if not all, appear to be of the neutral type. This as opposed to Champagne yeast, which is killer, as are some other wine yeasts.

I do not think Brett is killer, I believe it is neutral and that you will be ok, but you never know until you try it because there isn't really any data out there on this, especially pertaining to private label stuff like what White Labs and Wyeast carry.

Also, Brett as the lone primary fermentation agent will work on the same time table as sacc strains, fermentation will not take longer. Here's some good reading for your upcoming brew

Back