What to do with empty yeast vials

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NTXBrauer

Reaction score
I know everyone here, that uses white labs yeast, has empty vials laying around. What are some interesting ways you reuse them?

They make great airtight containers for waterproofing matches.

I use them for spice jars mostly.

Also make uhhh....smoking utensils out of them for friends (I do not partake anymore).

You can make them into tap handles. There's a guy on HBT who machines pieces that all you have to do is drill a hole in the lid of the yeast vial and place the machined piece inside and glue it.. It's already threaded so you're all set. Here's mine. image-3523254016.jpg

If I find his post I'll attach it.

You can make them into tap handles. There's a guy on HBT who machines pieces that all you have to do is drill a hole in the lid of the yeast vial and place the machined piece inside and glue it.. It's already threaded so you're all set. Here's mine.

If I find his post I'll attach it.

Great Idea...I like it. :mug:

I clean and sanitize them, then pour a little bit of each starter back into the vial before I pitch.

I also use one to store my hydrometer. I have a little 1.06 hydrometer that fits perfectly inside a vial, which I can then just toss into my kitchen drawer.

I clean and sanitize them, then pour a little bit of each starter back into the vial before I pitch.

I also use one to store my hydrometer. I have a little 1.06 hydrometer that fits perfectly inside a vial, which I can then just toss into my kitchen drawer.

How successful have you been creating a new starter from the vile you filled? Do you use more than 1 vile to create your next starter?

How successful have you been creating a new starter from the vile you filled? Do you use more than 1 vile to create your next starter?

I've been doing two-step starters. What I end up with in the vial looks like about one quarter of what you'd get in a new vial from White Labs. I figured that would be around 25 billion cells, so I worked out the details on yeastcalc.com. It's a little more work to make the starter, but it's a lot easier than washing yeast and it is nice for storage (and to have the original strain label!).

I use them as tap handles. I made them myself by ordering large ferrules. Then a trip to the hardware store to get a stainless bolt and washer. Drill a hole in the cap and you can fill it with whatever you like.

I have one stuffed with artificial hop comes and a few others filled with grain. They are nice and I like them very much.

I make a large starter and fill them with some of the yeast to freeze in the hope of building a yeast library and save a bit of cash...which I'm already throwing away in more brew stuff.

Latest posts

Back