Reaganing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hawaiianbrewer

Reaction score
On Wednesday I was Reaganing. Pitching a no hitter so to speak, Having a brief period in my life of error free living.

Pop Quiz,

You own a Mini Fridge which can hold 2 corny kegs, You also own a chest freezer which you use as a fementing chamber. This can hold 3 corny kegs (primarying in cornys which i sometimes do) and a 8 gal plastic carboy on the lip, or 1 corny, 1 6 gal glass carboy and 1 8 gallon plastic fermenter (on the lip) total capacity in fermenting chamber 23 gals option A, 19 gal with option b.

Currently you have 2 full kegs of pale ale at 40F conditioning in the mini fridge so its at max capacity. On tuesday, you purchase and mill grains for brews on Tuesday night and Wednesday night. On tuesday night you brew 12 gallons of Cream Ale (5gal in corny, 7 gallons in plastic bucket). You put these in the chest freezer and go to bed. When you wake up, you learn the chest freezer died overnight, compressor kaput. 78f ambient in the chest freezer. 82's the high that day. You know you have to brew another 6 gallon porter that night because grains are milled and the humidity here will not wait. You work from 8-3 with a late lunch to get out early so no lunch break to problem solve, brew must start by 4pm. What do you do to save all your beer?

I had 4 hours during the brew of the porter to solve this problem and not let any of the beer sit at room temperature (beyond the 12 hrs of the cream ale already).

Solution we thought of. During the Mash we removed the doors of the mini fridge and chest freezer. We Removed the seal of the chest freezer door and glued it onto the mini fridge. Flipped the chest freezer on its side and cut a 2x4 and foam to fill the 3 inch gap at the top. Slid them together and used ratchet tie downs to pull them together and keep a good seal. My neighbor offered to put the pale ale in his keezer until I can get a new serving fridge but now our new fermenting chamber holds 5 corny's and a 8 gallon fermenter, or 3 cornys, 6 gallon carboy and 8 gallon fermenter (33 gallons or 29 gallons).
Thursday morning it was a nice cool 65 in there.

Cost= $0.00,
time= 4 hours WHILE BREWING
Materials: Liquid nails, scrap 2x4, 2 Tie Downs

Look at this baby: Ingenuity at its finest.....Reaganing

photo (7).jpg

Opening it up does present a small challenge, especially when two kegs are in the mini fridge portion. For now I have the 3 beers inside the freezer portion so sliding it apart is pretty easy. I'd imagine with 2 kegs sitting in the mini fridge side it would get pretty heavy. This is all temporary, just a quick fix to a curve ball we were thrown during a back to back brew sesh. A good use though for people who have to scrap a chest freezer though and minifridge. Its already insulated and i've seen the minifridge ferment chambers made from wood and Styrofoam. Just need a way to open it up easier I guess

I saw your pic before I read the whole thing and was thinking, "That's not Reaganing, he's going to break the compressor on his chest freezer!" As someone who's had a few chest freezers crap out on me, I solute your ingenuity - well done!

30 Rock!

Back