The most Expensive Brew Day Ever

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MDVDuber

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So, it's been a rough year around here and this week my wife gave me the thumbs up to brew today. Just a bit of pre-holiday relaxation.

I plan the big American Barleywine for next Christmas consumption.

Yeast starter made on Monday (bottle harvested Pac-Man), the new Mash Tun (for BIG beers) built and ready for testing, 25.38 lbs of grain ground, 12.18 gallons of water prepped, fresh tank of propane and a nice crisp fall day.

What could possibly go wrong? Famous Last Words? Yep!

So I missed my gravity - by a bunch. I figured it would be low - that's a lot of grain, but whoa! Me thinks my mash out just wasn't hot enough - and I have plenty of time to investigate what went wrong.

No sweat - I can bump it up with DME. This was after all a test of the new system.

So off the wife and son go for an ice skating lesson..... do you see where this is going? Dad the famous Pond Hockey Player (ok, passable Pond Hockey Hack) normally skates with the boy, but this week the wife (from Virginia) skates.....

Just as the boil starts the phone rings. "Honey, when I get home can you look at my wrist?" Like me the expired EMT can tell anything. "of course hon, are you ok?" he says calmly as he watches his beer boil over.....Then she get's home and yikes the expired EMT CAN tell it's bad - angles that wrists are not intended to perform. Ok - off goes the burner and off to the ER for x-rays.

Drop her at the door of the ER, rush the boy to a Swimming Birthday party and back to sit, and sit, and sit in the ER (my poor beer!) I mean my poor WIFE! 3 and a half hours later we get home and I start back to the brew.... Then it starts to snow - well ok, so I'm from Maine and this is just a spitting yuck not real snow - but for the sake of the story we're calling it snow.

So - 25 lbs of grain, 8 plus oz of hops, a visit to the ER, A vicoden prescription, a rent a car for her to drive (cause we only have manuals) and a visit to the orthopedist for pins and a plate in her wrist. It's got to be one of the most expensive brew days on record.

We are currently soliciting names for the American Barleywine that I'm still trying to brew.

BTW - she's fine and tough as hell. When she saw the snow she nearly pee'd herself laughing at me.

Murphys law American barleywine. I also like bone breaker tho.

That beer will always be great because it has an incredible story to go with every bottle

The story you will remember forever and the beer comes and goes. Hope the beer at least tastes good....

MDVDuber - how does the mashout temperature effect gravity? Do you mean you didn't wash off enough sugars as the temperature wasn't ideal?

>>but for the sake of the story we're calling it snow.

I laughed out loud at this haha. As for the rental, i think I would have had to take another brace/splint from the ER and make a hookup for the shifter that strapped around her arm lol.

Names....hmm....

I got nothing.

So, it's been a rough year around here and this week my wife gave me the thumbs up to brew today. Just a bit of pre-holiday relaxation.

I plan the big American Barleywine for next Christmas consumption.

Yeast starter made on Monday (bottle harvested Pac-Man), the new Mash Tun (for BIG beers) built and ready for testing, 25.38 lbs of grain ground, 12.18 gallons of water prepped, fresh tank of propane and a nice crisp fall day.

What could possibly go wrong? Famous Last Words? Yep!

So I missed my gravity - by a bunch. I figured it would be low - that's a lot of grain, but whoa! Me thinks my mash out just wasn't hot enough - and I have plenty of time to investigate what went wrong.

No sweat - I can bump it up with DME. This was after all a test of the new system.

So off the wife and son go for an ice skating lesson..... do you see where this is going? Dad the famous Pond Hockey Player (ok, passable Pond Hockey Hack) normally skates with the boy, but this week the wife (from Virginia) skates.....

Just as the boil starts the phone rings. "Honey, when I get home can you look at my wrist?" Like me the expired EMT can tell anything. "of course hon, are you ok?" he says calmly as he watches his beer boil over.....Then she get's home and yikes the expired EMT CAN tell it's bad - angles that wrists are not intended to perform. Ok - off goes the burner and off to the ER for x-rays.

Drop her at the door of the ER, rush the boy to a Swimming Birthday party and back to sit, and sit, and sit in the ER (my poor beer!) I mean my poor WIFE! 3 and a half hours later we get home and I start back to the brew.... Then it starts to snow - well ok, so I'm from Maine and this is just a spitting yuck not real snow - but for the sake of the story we're calling it snow.

So - 25 lbs of grain, 8 plus oz of hops, a visit to the ER, A vicoden prescription, a rent a car for her to drive (cause we only have manuals) and a visit to the orthopedist for pins and a plate in her wrist. It's got to be one of the most expensive brew days on record.

We are currently soliciting names for the American Barleywine that I'm still trying to brew.

BTW - she's fine and tough as hell. When she saw the snow she nearly pee'd herself laughing at me.

Das why brewing is much safer than fooling around on ice. Hope she heals well.

MDVDuber - how does the mashout temperature effect gravity? Do you mean you didn't wash off enough sugars as the temperature wasn't ideal?

That's what I think. But when I reached my boiling volume I was still running 1.040 out of the mash, so I should be ok for the Wee Heavy I'm planning over the holidays. After all was said and done I reached 60% efficiency (my normal on my smaller tun is about 75%). I was shooting for 65% here and just didn't get there. Still a 1.104 OG should help kill the pain next Christmas.

When I broke my wrist, and and a screw placed in it, it cost around $15,000 all said and done.

Yes i'd say that's one expensive brew day

Midas Touch Barleywine....
Works on many levels, sarcastically, and in reference to it being an expensive brew day....

Back