Bootleggers Knuckle Sandwich

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

codyjp

Reaction score
I recently had a pint of Knuckle Sandwich (IIPA) on tap at Beachwood BBQ in Seal Beach.

It was possibly the best beer I've had in a year. For the life of me I can't find much of anything on a recipe much less their hops or IBUs. Does anybody have any ideas or have an idea?

If you've got the chance to try some, do it, you won't be disappointed!

I found one recipe for a hops schedule but since this will need to be an extract I'm taking a WAG at the fermentables. The original had a huge rich complex malty front which is why I was going for 4 kinds of Crystal but would that just become too much? Should I cut some and increase others? I'm also looking for strong head formation so I've got the Carapils at 7%, will that be enough?

Batch Size 5.000 gal
Boil Size 5.500 gal
Boil Time 1.000 hr
OG 1.084 FG 1.021
ABV 8.2%
Bitterness 55.3 IBU (Tinseth)
Color 15 SRM (Morey)
Calories (per 12 oz.) 281

Malts/Grains
Light Dry Extract Dry Extract 9.000 lb
Caramel/Crystal Malt - 80L Grain 4.000 oz - steeped
Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L Grain 8.000 oz - steeped
Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L Grain 4.000 oz - steeped
Caramel/Crystal Malt - 20L Grain 4.000 oz - steeped
Cara-Pils/Dextrine Grain 12.000 oz - steeped

For the hops I'm hoping for a strong nose and a fruity finish but a long long way from a hop bomb.
Hops
Name Alpha Amount Use Time Form IBU
Simcoe 13% 1.000 oz Boil 30.000 min Pellet 25.4
Simcoe 13% 1.000 oz Boil 5.000 min Pellet 6.6
Amarillo 10% 1.000 oz Boil 30.000 min Pellet 18.6
Amarillo 10% 1.000 oz Boil 5.000 min Pellet 4.8
Centennial 10% 0.500 oz DH 0.000 s Pellet 0.0
Simcoe 13% 0.500 oz DH 0.000 s Pellet 0.0

Thanks for any input!

Luckily for me Bootleggers is right up the street from me. Been to the brewery a couple times. They make some great beers, but I've had one or two I didn't like. Got their Russian Rye in the fridge. Yum.

If you haven't discovered The Bruery yet, do it. Looks like you're in LB, and if it requires a trip up through the Orange Curtain I promise it'll be worth it.

joe

Luckily for me Bootleggers is right up the street from me. Been to the brewery a couple times. They make some great beers, but I've had one or two I didn't like. Got their Russian Rye in the fridge. Yum.

If you haven't discovered The Bruery yet, do it. Looks like you're in LB, and if it requires a trip up through the Orange Curtain I promise it'll be worth it.

joe

The Bruery is on my list too!

You're killing me, I passed up going to their release party because I already made plans for a friend's party. Definitely have to grab myself a bottle soon.

The Bruery is on my list too!

If you can get your hands on The Tart Of Darkness, do it. It'll blow your mind. Either in a good way or a bad way. I loved it, my GF loved it but some people couldn't take it. It was a bit intense.

joe

that hop schedule won't get you any where near IIPA ibus...53 ibus is a fairly weak IPA bittering profile...get it closer to 100 and you'll be in the IIPA range.

that hop schedule won't get you any where near IIPA ibus...53 ibus is a fairly weak IPA bittering profile...get it closer to 100 and you'll be in the IIPA range.

Agreed, but this was a lot more malt and not really all that bitter. It had a great nose. I believe it was around the 50 mark in IBUs, which is quite low for the style, if not too low.

Latest posts

Back