Apologies to Revvy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I generally leave the beer in primary for 5 or 6 weeks; sometimes longer if I'm busy with other hobby projects. The beer ends up clear and very clean tasting, even if I miss the target temps (too high).

Thats a very long fermentation. Mine usually reach terminal gravity long before 2 weeks.

Forrest
Your name is Forrest? Me too!!! :rockin:

Seems to me the key might be extended aging whether it's in the primary, secondary, bottle or keg.

I've found extended cold aging of bottles to be very effective.

Back on topic:

For extended primary fermentation, do you need a glass fermenter rather than the plastic bucket to avoid oxygen permeation through the plastic?

Also, I'm assuming there is no transfer to secondary after the extended primary?

Right, Unless you plan on using it for??? Fruiting? Dry Hop?(I KNOW, people do that in the primary too!)

Thats a very long fermentation. Mine usually reach terminal gravity long before 2 weeks.

Forrest

I used to ferment for 7-10 and noticed I had a lot of off flavor in the beer. I think unless your technique is perfect (and even then) it helps to age.

My latest I let go for 24 days in the primary., when I first kegged it--it tasted too harsh, really one note etc. After it sat for a few more days it became very well rounded, malty, and nice to drink.

I just checked on my Pale Ale (my first all grain) and fermentation seems to have pretty much stopped. Krausen is starting to disappear, there is nothing falling through the beer, slow air lock activity. It's been 4 days since I pitched. It's been the same now for about a day. Obviously it's still going a bit but I think the bulk of my fermentation is done. I'm definitely going to leave it another 2-3 weeks to let the yeast do their cleanup though.

funny thing.,. the more beer I have in bottles... the longer my new beers set in primary... wonder why? lol

when i first started homebrewing, I was told on here that really long ferments can cause off flavors.. so some of you are fermenting for 6 months?!! Man back then I would get worried when I didn't have time to bottle and it would be like 3-4 weeks of primary.

- I am a choad and I should never be listened to, ever. I think I'll be leaving beers in primaries for several months from here on out. The beers are THAT good. :rockin:

I now ferment two weeks at a minimum before kegging.

What's a choad? :D

I'll tell you what a choad ISN'T......

A Choad doesn't man up and apologize like that. I have owed my share of apologies for rash assumptions based on things I know nothing about (except reading the opinions of others who may or may not know the truth)

:mug:

Seems to me the key might be extended aging whether it's in the primary, secondary, bottle or keg.

+1. Just by the fact that you let it age and not bottle after a couple of weeks probably improved the taste. Whether you use secondary or not, it would certainly improve the beer.

I always try to leave my beer at least 6+ weeks before kegging whenever possible. The difference in taste is night and day.

+1. Just by the fact that you let it age and not bottle after a couple of weeks probably improved the taste. Whether you use secondary or not, it would certainly improve the beer.

I always try to leave my beer at least 6+ weeks before kegging whenever possible. The difference in taste is night and day.

Almost two years ago when I first started making beer (just from kits at the time), I made a Festa Brew Brown Ale kit (6 gallons, just add yeast and away you go). Well it turned out horrible. I couldn't give it away fast enough.

Gave a dozen away to my inlaws, who promptly took it home and left it untouched in a spare fridge for maybe six or seven months. I discovered it when we were visiting last Christmas, cracked one and...it was phenomenal. So I took the beer home, entered it in a national competition and won a gold medal. I might actually still have a bottle or two somewhere. It was probably a week in the primary, tops (and maybe less). Some time in a secondary, but it was the extended cold aging I think that really helped. More recently I've had a couple of beers made last January that were pretty "meh" until they got weeks in a fridge, at which point they really, really improved. As you say, a "night and day" difference!

Why does extra time in the primary (vs.secondary) matter if you take hydrometer readings a few days in a row and your FG has been achieved?

There are numerous threads on HBT where this exact point is debated hotly and exhaustively, some interesting reading there. the people in the long primary camp point to the larger yeast population as being more efficient at consuming byproducts and cleaning up the beer, the people in the secondary camp are more concerned about yeast autolysis, although current thinking is this may not be as much of an issue for the home brewer as it was once thought to be.

Again, lots of threads around here where people go back and forth on it. Check 'em out.

One advantage to extending your primary, and not racking over to a secondary, is that it accomplishes the same thing as a bright tank (clearing, bulk conditioning, etc...) while eliminating a process step. There by eliminating another chance for infection or oxidation or etc...

On the other hand, moving to a secondary container frees up a fermentor.

I'm lazy and have enough fermentors for now, so I love the long primary and am very happy with the results.

The best advice I've seen on the topic is try it both ways for yourself and see which works better for you and your brews.

The phrase "clean up your beer" gets parroted ad nauseum but I don't understand how yeast sitting in a cake at the bottom of a fermenter are "cleaning up" anything. You rack to a secondary, there are literally millions (I dunno? Billions?) of yeast in suspension, they settle out to the bottom over time so whatever mystical process they use to "clean up" the beer they can still do.

Revvy and some of the other folks here have forgotten more about beer than I'll ever know so I have no problem deferring to their judgement. And I have no problem with the "try it one way then the other" line of reasoning. But I've seen too many threads where beginners ask about when they should rack their beer and are told "The yeast are still cleaning up your beer after FG is reached!! Don't rack your beer!!" when they'll get the same quality beer provided they age it long enough regardless of when they take it off the primary yeast cake.

The phrase "clean up your beer" gets parroted ad nauseum but I don't understand how yeast sitting in a cake at the bottom of a fermenter are "cleaning up" anything.

There's only 10,000 threads discussing this already and where we have provided information about it. The yeast isn't as dormant and sitting in the bottom of the fermenter like everyone thinks...

For the sake of beating this horse to death, here's SOME of the primary source material that started me down this path 5 years ago, and HAS been posted ad nausuem on here.

Even John Palmer talks about this in How To Bew;

How To Brew said:
Leaving an ale beer in the primary fermentor for a total of 2-3 weeks (instead of just the one week most canned kits recommend), will provide time for the conditioning reactions and improve the beer. This extra time will also let more sediment settle out before bottling, resulting in a clearer beer and easier pouring. And, three weeks in the primary fermentor is usually not enough time for off-flavors to occur.

Also....

how to brew said:
The fermentation of malt sugars into beer is a complicated biochemical process. It is more than just the conversion of sugar to alcohol, which can be regarded as the primary activity. Total fermentation is better defined as three phases, the Adaptation or Lagtime phase, the Primary or Attenuative phase and a Secondary or Conditioning phase. The yeast do not end Phase 2 before beginning Phase 3, the processes occur in parallel, but the conditioning processes occur more slowly. As the majority of simple sugars are consumed, more and more of the yeast will transition to eating the larger, more complex sugars and early yeast by-products. This is why beer (and wine) improves with age to a degree, as long as they are on the yeast.

One of the compounds that it clears up in this time is diacetyl. , along with the benefits of letting a beer sit on the yeast cake a bit longer.

I found this article;

"THE ROLE OF DIACETYL IN BEER
By Moritz Kallmeyer"

The Abstract begins...

Diacetyl as a product of fermentation is more characteristic of ales than lagers. Diacetyl is produced early in the fermentation, and then most of it is reabsorbed by the yeast and reduced to flavourless compounds later on. Yeast strains differ markedly in their diacetyl reduction ability. Some ales and a few lagers (such as the famous Pilsner Urquell) contain perceptible amounts of diacetyl, but as a rule modern brewers consider it as a fault. This is because certain bacterial infections and other errors in brewing technique will increase diacetyl levels resulting in unacceptable beer aroma and flavour profile. This parameter thus serves as a quality check. However, it is important to remember that diacetyl flavour is a natural by-product of yeast fermentation, and in some beer styles it is an optional or even required flavour component in low amounts.

From here....

Drayman's Brewery and Distillery

There's two methods of rests listed in the Kallmeyer article...one for ales and warmer beers....interesting.

Maturation of beer flavour requires the presence of yeast as a catalyst. There are many methods of finishing that have the sole objective of prolonging the contact of beer with yeast after primary fermentation is completed. I want to emphasize that a diacetyl rest with most of the yeast lying at the bottom of the tank and not enough in suspension is of no use. Most lager breweries, especially those that use Weinhenstephan 308 or similar “diacetyl producing yeast’s” employ a long diacetyl rest, in order to minimize diacetyl in the finished beer.

Method 1
If a very cold primary fermentation was used it involves allowing the beer temperature to rise from the controlled primary fermentation temperature of about 10°C to 15-18°C when the primary fermentation is coming to an end. Normally, the time is determined by the attenuation of the beer. If, for example the wort starting gravity was 1050 and the expected terminal gravity is 1010, then the diacetyl rest would be commenced when the beer has attenuated to about SG 1023 when two-thirds of the total fermentable material in the wort has been consumed. The diacetyl rest normally lasts for 48-72 hours, until primary fermentation is over and secondary fermentation is under way. At this time the temperature is lowered when the more traditional method is followed, probably 1°C per day until the lagering temperature of 0-1°C is reached.

Method 2
If a warmer primary fermentation temperature was used for ale or lager the diacetyl rest involves either lowering the beer temperature 2 or 3°C at the end of primary fermentation or keeping it constant for up to 6 days. In lager yeast strains with low diacetyl production it is common practise nowadays to employ a short diacetyl rest followed by centrifuging to remove excess yeast and then crash cooling to 0°C. When brewing ales, that should have very low diacetyl levels especially German Ales like Alt and Kölsch, the implications are to not use highly flocculent yeast and to allow an extended primary fermentation, ....

All of this and everything else that could and has been said about this is in this thread here https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f163/s...mil-zainasheff-weigh-176837/?highlight=palmer

I do believe that the OP stated THIS in his initial post???

I have my reasons to doubt this but I have stated them and won't bother rehashing theories.

And yet, we're rehasing theories...or I should say you all are. ;)

OOOH I just found a new one...too bad it's not animated.....

Beat_Dead_Horse.jpg

Edit One more thing you need to realize, there's going to be more and more info written about this stuff in the years to come, but it hasn't really been studied, because everyone JUST TOOK AUTOLYSIS AND GETTING IT OFF THE YEAST FOR GRANTED.

That's all we've heard....and like palmer said, even HE took it for granted.

I used to recommend racking a beer to a secondary fermenter. My recommendation was based on the premise that (20 years ago) larger (higher gravity) beers took longer to ferment completely, and that getting the beer off the yeast reduced the risk of yeast autolysis (ie., meaty or rubbery off-flavors) and it allowed more time for flocculation and clarification, reducing the amount of yeast and trub carryover to the bottle. Twenty years ago, a homebrewed beer typically had better flavor, or perhaps less risk of off-flavors, if it was racked off the trub and clarified before bottling. Today that is not the case.

Until WE came along....we are the ones here who broke ground on this....it is because of our discussions over the last 4-5 years which forced questions to be asked, of Palmer, of BYP magazine and of Basic brewing.

In fact Palmer's "backpedaling" almost reads verbatum what I wrote, and other's on here as well. So it's clear that WE had a lot to do with this. And many of us took a lot of crap from folks...go back and look at some of the nastiness I took when I first started questioning the "common wisdom."

But a lot of the 'quantifying data" has yet to be written. It's still ancecdoatal, BUT now folks will look at it, and they WILL be able to tell you all about what your yeast is doing, hopefully to give make you all happy. But until then we have only our experinces, and our BJCP scoring sheets to back it up.

Something happens that DOESN'T happen when all we do is rack to a secondary...What we don't know yet....but something is. So that's why all we really have now is "Don't knock it til you try it." But enough people try it and don't go back....

So maybe the whys will just have to wait.......

*shrug*

...a lot of the 'quantifying data" has yet to be written. It's still ancecdoatal...

Looking forward to some more technical explanations down the road.

I'm sorry you had to absorb abuse about this in the past, and of course we all appreciate the knowledge folks like you share on this and many other topics.

The main reason I put kegging off for so long, is that I knew that I would lose the long conditioning that some of my bottles got.

Storing "warm" in bulk or bottle has such long term benefits it is not even debatable.

When I hear primary for 3 weeks,COLD CRASH (boy, doesn't that sound just TOO COOL!) for a MONTH (WTF??) and then cold keg, I just shake my head.

My brews go into the keg warm.

I am fighting SWMBO right now to brew. "Your Kegs are FULL!" she says. She doesn't get the whole "conditioning" thing either.

Hey Revvy,

What are your thoughts on temperature vs the long primary?

I typically let the beer sit in primary (or "only-ary" for me, as I don't secondary) at fermentation temp for about two weeks, and then I move the carboy to my kegerator/lagering fridge for another 3-4 weeks at about 40F. Then I keg and carb for about week before serving.

My beers (ales only) turn out clean and clear, but I wonder if leaving it longer at room temp post-fermentation would be better than moving it to cold storage so quickly?

I know it's not the point of this thread, but I thought IPAs were best consumed "fresh". How do most of you define "fresh", like, within what time frame? The OP had seems to have fermented one for 8+ months and claims it's one of, if not the best IPA he's ever had. Is there two sides to the "fresh" coin here?

Hey Revvy,

I typically let the beer sit in primary (or "only-ary" for me, as I don't secondary) at fermentation temp for about two weeks, and then I move the carboy to my kegerator/lagering fridge for another 3-4 weeks at about 40F. Then I keg and carb for about week before serving.

My beers (ales only) turn out clean and clear, but I wonder if leaving it longer at room temp post-fermentation would be better than moving it to cold storage so quickly?

Sorry, I gotta jump on that. 2 weeks of conditioning?...........WOW. Beer improves vastly by the 6 week or so mark. You are nowhere close.

while lager yeast will sluggishly do some conditioning in a fridge, Ale yeast goes to sleep while you "lager" the ale out of you ales.

got news for you, YOU LIKE LAGERS.

If that is what you like, "CLEAN, CRISP," etc. You should just make some lagers.

I have no problem with that, but hearing about people lagering their ales makes my skin crawl.

Is it still good? Sure, is it just 1/3 of the wonderful beer it would be after 6 weeks at room temps? Absolutely.

got news for you, YOU LIKE LAGERS.
I've got news for you: Lagers are okay, but ales are way better (to me). Cold conditioning doesn't magically turn an ale into a lager, at least not in my anecdotal experience.

I've done primaries as long as 8 weeks at ferm temps in the past, but it's been a while (a couple years). They are also pretty clean. And by clean I mean no oddball flavors. I love a fruity, estery ale. I just mean it sorta shaves off any potential funk. Hell, I usually ferment a fair bit higher than recommended for a given yeast strain just to get the extra "ale" taste.

cheezydemon3 said:
I have no problem with that, but hearing about people lagering their ales makes my skin crawl.
Wow, didn't mean to get you all upset with the beer that I'm making that you don't have to drink. :D

Next time I want to know what I like and what I think and what I should be doing, I'll just ask you directly. :D

Feel Free.

My anecdotal evidence is My DAD.

I used to bottle my batch, give a sixer or a 12 to the old man.

I let mine sit warm until I need to stick a few in the fridge.

They get so progressively better after 5 or 6 weeks, that I hate to let them go any less than that.

I would drink one at home lets say 6 weeks in the bottle. Next night, at my parents I would have the same beerala my dad's basement fridge. The drastic drop of flavor was undeniable.

He doesn't drink that much, so the anecdotal evidence is staggering and constantly available.

SWMBO's favorite "floral" ale that I made: 6 months in the bottle, WOW. Delicious. 6 months in my dad's fridge? I couldn't taste it. It tasted like miller lite.

I AM SURE YOUR BEERS ARE GOOD! Lagers can be good too, and flavorful, look at Marzens(oktoberfest) but would that same marzen have a lot more flavor without the extended refridgeration? You BETCHA.

I wish you well and hope you have an open mind.

Sorry, but your "crash and store cold" approach is rampant on this site, and I don't have time to convert everyone.

Remember the first rule of brewing? PATIENCE.

They get so progressively better after 5 or 6 weeks, that I hate to let them go any less than that.
Now see, that's the info I was looking for. Thanks!

So I'll have to split a batch and put half on the cool and leave half at room temp and see which I prefer at the end of 6 or so weeks.

Hmm. Now I wonder if bulk aging in a carboy or keg is comparable to the individualized conditioning going on in bottles? Looks like I'll have to split batches on temps and serving containers. :D

Now see, that's the info I was looking for. Thanks!

So I'll have to split a batch and put half on the cool and leave half at room temp and see which I prefer at the end of 6 or so weeks.

Hmm. Now I wonder if bulk aging in a carboy or keg is comparable to the individualized conditioning going on in bottles? Looks like I'll have to split batches on temps and serving containers. :D

The "bulk" debate is one I'd like your results on!

Aging for a year in the bottle is a beautiful thing, but would 9 months in a carboy and 3 in the bottle be better?

Hard to say.

*my dad's fridge freezes stuff in the back, so it is probably an extreme example, but it definitely proves that flavor can be "lagered" out of an ale;)*

Aging for a year in the bottle is a beautiful thing, but would 9 months in a carboy and 3 in the bottle be better?

Hard to say.
I'll never know, because I'm not going to tie up a carboy for that long. :)

I don't mind doing a three-month test, but a year is too much for me. I get sidetracked much too easily. I'll forget about it.

Side story: I took three or four bottles of a dubbel I made to my mother-in-law's house for Xmas Eve a few years ago. The next year on Xmas Eve, I noticed that there was still a bottle of it way in the back of the fridge. It tasted pretty damn good. Obviously some of the spicy character of the yeast flavor had diminished, but it was still quite excellent. And super smoooooooooth.

I'm not answering questions in this thread, afaic EVERY question about this has already been answered several thousand times on here already. INCLUDING in the Jamil/Palmer thread. Most of it by me...I've put the info all over this place. It's really up to folks to do their own digging of what's already been said.

And that is NOT what this thread is supposed to be about anyway...

For 2011 I'm only presenting the info as if it is already a fact that the info has been presented on here in depth. Including what I've pretty much been doing over the last 6 months linking to the Jamil/Palmer thread. But NOT answering additional questions in the thread when someone asked (about temp, what kind of vessel, etc) since I KNOW the answers are already there.

Hey Revvy,

It sounds like your process works for you and you should keep it up. I think I added some fuel to a pretty pathetic little fire by posting what I hoped would be a Yuletide peace offering. However, I think that long periods of time in a fermenter are certainly no magic bullet for good beers. It certainly doesn't hurt - but I should also add that my process during the brews were as good as they have ever been. That certainly added to the quality of the brew as they were AG brews and I have learned a lot over the last year and a half about the process. I don't think you need anyone's opinion about how you handle your fermentation. :mug:

I don't think you need anyone's opinion about how you handle your fermentation. :mug:

I don't necessarily need anyone's opinion, but in this case I wanted some thoughts on the whole temp issue with regard to what was once called "extended" primary. I have a lot of my own experience, but I feel like sharing experiences amongst fellow brewers can benefit everyone. I mean, that's kinda the whole purpose of a forum, as I see it.

If I didn't want people chiming in, I definitely would post stuff in a public forum. :D

I would drink one at home lets say 6 weeks in the bottle. Next night, at my parents I would have the same beerala my dad's basement fridge. The drastic drop of flavor was undeniable
SWMBO's favorite "floral" ale that I made: 6 months in the bottle, WOW. Delicious. 6 months in my dad's fridge? I couldn't taste it. It tasted like miller lite.

Do you think this could just be perception? Does it really *prove* that you can "lager flavor out of an ale?" IE, do you just need to let the beer warm up so the aromas and flavors can represent themselves? Just think of that barleywine that you sip on for a half hour or more, and how the aromas and flavors change as it warms up in your snifter glass.... Perhaps ales are just meant to be consumed warmer, regardless of how they're stored? (I believe so...I generally drink my beer at my downstairs "room temp" of mid 60's *F.)

Remember the first rule of brewing? PATIENCE

+1! I learned this from my meadmaking...be more relaxed and hands off, and let the yeast do what they do... I was very excited when I started to learn (from this board, BTW) that I could have the same approach to my beers without risking off flavors! Low and behold, I found that not only did I NOT risk off flavors, I seemed to have better beer with LESS off flavors once I let my primaries linger.

Are there a lot of commercial breweries moving to extended time on the yeast?

I don't believe so. They like profits (quicker to the door quicker to the pocket) and the weight of all the yeast in their fementors causes autolysis.

Does anyone have any thoughts on extended primaries vs extended bottle conditioning? Will a few weeks in primary and then two months in a bottle give you a beer that's as good as a beer that's two months in primary, then a few weeks in bottle?

Back