Reusing Hops?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Homercidal

Licensed Sensual Massage Therapist.
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Was thinking about how some big beers are made with lots of grain, and then a second running is used for a lighter beer, and I wondered if that process could be adapted for hops.

Imagine using an ounce of hops for aroma, and then filtering out and re-using as bittering hops in another beer.

What I'm not sure about is whether the oils and resins will stay in the first batch, or if only part of them remains. Of course if all of it is dissolved, then there is no hope, but if the majority of the glands remain with the hops, then wouldn't you be able to boil the bitter out of them in another batch?

I have successfully re used hops from a dry hopping. Just dry hopped in a bag, then removed the bag and used the hops as the 60min bittering addition in my new brew.

Worked just fine.

The only loss I can "imagine" is if the lauplin falls out of the bag to the bottom of the fermenter.

One member of the OBC did three successive IPAs. The first was brewed normally, the second used all of the first batch's hops for bittering, ditto for the third. He froze the hops in between brew days. All three were well bittered and tasty.

One member of the OBC did three successive IPAs. The first was brewed normally, the second used all of the first batch's hops for bittering, ditto for the third. He froze the hops in between brew days. All three were well bittered and tasty.
When you say he used the first batches hops again, are you referring to the hops used for dry hopping or the whole lot that was used to bitter the first beer?

Back