How to step up a starter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wild Duk

Reaction score
According to Mr. Malty, my up coming brew need 2.5 liters of starter. OG 1.106....

With only a 2 liter flask, how do I acompoiush this....

Do a 1 liter starter, than use that yeast for a 2 liter starter?

I guess I would have to crash cool the first one, in order to do a 2 liter second....

I have no idea here...

Thanks

Brew a 1.5L starter. Pitch yeast (into cooled wort, of course). Let it runs its course and ferment out. It should be fairly obvious when it's done. Do you have a stirplate?

Anyway, once it's done, crash-cool it, then decant/discard the clear liquid on top. Do this VERY slowly and steadily, and watch the output stream very closely (make sure there's adequate light). When you start seeing the stream getting cloudy, stop pouring. You're dumping perfectly good cells! Anyway, once that's done, brew up another 1.5L of wort in a separate pot or flask, cool it down, and dump that into the original slurry. Let it ferment out, and you can either just dump the whole starter in, or, optimally, you would crash-cool and decant the second starter as well, so all you're pouring into the beer is the slurry.

Brew a 1.5L starter. Pitch yeast (into cooled wort, of course). Let it runs its course and ferment out. It should be fairly obvious when it's done. Do you have a stirplate?

Anyway, once it's done, crash-cool it, then decant/discard the clear liquid on top. Do this VERY slowly and steadily, and watch the output stream very closely (make sure there's adequate light). When you start seeing the stream getting cloudy, stop pouring. You're dumping perfectly good cells! Anyway, once that's done, brew up another 1.5L of wort in a separate pot or flask, cool it down, and dump that into the original slurry. Let it ferment out, and you can either just dump the whole starter in, or, optimally, you would crash-cool and decant the second starter as well, so all you're pouring into the beer is the slurry.

Thank you for posting those directions! I like explanations that use normal words :)

I plan on doing this for my next beer. How long should i estimate the time to crash cool at? 1 day? or 2?

I plan on doing this for my next beer. How long should i estimate the time to crash cool at? 1 day? or 2?

Depends really on how well the yeast flocculates. I have a starter of WL 007 going and it flocculates so well that when I turn off the stir plate it all settles to the bottom right away. Most other strains I've done starters for takes 30-60 minutes for them to settle out to where you can see the slurry. Not this one, it settles with the quickness.

I'd say 2 days if you can but 1 should be sufficent.

I cool my starters overnight before decanting. Pretty much any yeast strain will be 90+% settled out by that time.

You can calculate exactly what your step up volumes should be using the Mr. Malty calcuator, you just have to work it backwards.

I cool my starters overnight before decanting. Pretty much any yeast strain will be 90+% settled out by that time.

You can calculate exactly what your step up volumes should be using the Mr. Malty calcuator, you just have to work it backwards.

wouldnt you just do two 2 liter starters if it called for 4 liters?

Back