Pellicle Photo Collection

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Brett C BPAView attachment 250548
When should I bottle this thing? It has 5 weeks to the day in primary......2 weeks ago the gravity was 1.006.

Check gravity again and it its the same bottle. Seems like its ready if gravity doesnt change its done. Brett sometimes has a delay before becoming active again

i would take readings a month apart, and don't bottle until they are stable. my concern with 2 week readings is that the gravity might be dropping slowly, and on the average hydrometer it's easy to mis-read 1.005 as 1.006 and assume that the bugs are done. there is potentially quite a bit of sugar left in there.

Check gravity again and it its the same bottle. Seems like its ready if gravity doesnt change its done. Brett sometimes has a delay before becoming active again

i would take readings a month apart, and don't bottle until they are stable. my concern with 2 week readings is that the gravity might be dropping slowly, and on the average hydrometer it's easy to mis-read 1.005 as 1.006 and assume that the bugs are done. there is potentially quite a bit of sugar left in there.

This is a one gallon jug so I'm hesitant to disturb it at all unless I'm sure it's fully attenuated. I've only opened that thing once so far on that 3 week mark and that was to use a few drops on my refractometer. I had three other jugs with different strains of sacc that were around the same fg +/- .002. It's been corrected.

Based on your advice I'll check it one more time in about 2 more weeks to confirm. Thanks guys! This was my first primary brett fermentation so I'm going on culled info from sour/funk brewers like you.

This is a growler of extra wort fermented with The Yeast Bay Melange.

image.jpg

Found this last night! Brewed back in October 2014, it's my second Morebeer Consecration kit. Fermented on Trappist HG, then ECY BugFarm, and Bug Country. I already added the used oak cubes from a Winexpert Stag's Leap Merlot batch, and a couple of cups of the actual wine kit that was left over in the fermenter after a racking. It smells awesome at this point, can't wait for it to be ready in a few months.

Found this last night! Brewed back in October 2014, it's my second Morebeer Consecration kit. Fermented on Trappist HG, then ECY BugFarm, and Bug Country. I already added the used oak cubes from a Winexpert Stag's Leap Merlot batch, and a couple of cups of the actual wine kit that was left over in the fermenter after a racking. It smells awesome at this point, can't wait for it to be ready in a few months.

Ready to bottle in a few months? Maybe if you brewed it October of 2013. It needs more time, dont rush it.

pvqJ2Lr.jpg

im trying to catch some wild yeast and this has sprung up in one of my jars. anyone have any idea what it might be?

forgot to mention its been about three weeks

Classic 'brain in a jar' pellicle.

That looks alot like what formed in my Gose when I pitched the Lacto. No fruit in mine, though. After active fermentation, it broke up into big chunks with some still floating on top.

That looks alot like what formed in my Gose when I pitched the Lacto. No fruit in mine, though. After active fermentation, it broke up into big chunks with some still floating on top.

I've had a similar non-fruit, protein blob in a flanders before. Looked like large handfuls of tofu mashed together.

A Gose that I brewed in August. Didn't like how salty it was so I decided to let the fermentation ride out for a while and mellow out a bit (fingers crossed).

IMG_1377.PNG

Doubt the salt will fade, may need to blend some other non-salted brew with it.

Good advice, indeed. I haven't taken a gravity sample in a few months. Going to do so soon and see how the beer is doing. Perhaps a dryer beer with a more lactic bite will favor the salinity more so than how the younger beer tasted in october.

If I were to blend it, would you recommend fermenting the new beer close to FG and then blending?
Pretty sure this would be my first stab at blending, though I have been interested in doing it for a while. Especially interested in starting a solera, but not with a gose!
But maybe that could be interesting..:hs::cross:

Increased acid should definitely help the overall perceived saltiness. I would blend after FG unless you are thinking you want to krausen it. But you would still need to wait to bottle it. Especially if you are putting clean beer in a sour. You will get another fermentation when the bugs get a hold of the new neighbors.

Back