Some questions about using 100% Aromatic malt

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eon

Reaction score
Hello.

I am trying to come up with a recipe using 100% Aromatic malts. I have a couple of questions.

1.) I want this to be about 73 IBUs. Not sure if I'm there because Beer Calculus in the worst brewing software in the world and NEVER accurate! :D

2.) I have never used aromatic malts before. Not sure what kind to buy but on rebelbrewer.com they have about 3 different kinds. Any idea which aromatic I should go with? OR maybe I can mix a couple different kinds?

3.) Beer calculus says this is @ 25* SRM. Is that really dark? I'm aiming for a reddish copper color I suppose. Three Floyds did a beer with 100% aromatic and it looked and tasted wonderful. That is the inspiration for this beer.

http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/three-floyds-aotearoa/132814/

Here's my recipe thus far:

OG 1.065
FG 1.016

25* SRM

59.7 IBU

6.5% ABV

12 lbs. Aromatic malt

1.00 oz. Nelson Sauvin @ 60 minutes
0.50 oz. Amarillo @ 60 minutes
0.50 oz. Nelson Sauvin @ 15 minutes
0.50 oz. Amarillo @ 15 minutes
0.50 oz. Nelson Sauvin @ 10 minutes
0.50 oz. Amarillo @ 10 minutes
0.50 oz. Nelson Sauvin @ 5 minutes
0.50 oz. Amarillo @ 5 minutes
1.00 oz Nelson Sauvin @ flame out
1.00 oz. Amarillo @ flame out
1.00 oz. Nelson Sauvin (DRY HOP)
1.00 oz. Amarillo (DRY HOP)

1 tsp. Irish Moss @ 15 minutes
geltain finings (when do you put these in?)
Cold crash (Have no idea how to do this!)

Safale us-05 yeast (Not sure what yeast would do well with this but everyone seems to love 05).

Pucker city if you ask me....

Even from the brew wiki.

General brewing information
Aromatic malt is high in diastatic power and can convert itself completely; however, because of the extremely strong aromatics it lends to the finished beer, most brewers avoid using more than 10% in a batch to maintain balance.

I've accidently used 4 ounces instead of 2 in a recipe and thought it too much.

And what's with the beersmith hate? It's only innaccurate if you set it up that way. I've been using it for years with no issues.

I'm using Beer Calculus NOT Beer smith. I would use Beer smith If I could. I'm using a mac computer.

Not that I don't trust your palate wise sir but how did Three Floyds get away with it?

Hmm....forget the beer, I've got a mystery on my hands! :D

I've never had three floyds so I couldn't tell you.

And I never had any issues with BC either, the only reason I switched was it was before you could save recipes. But I know at least one award winning brewer on here who uses Beercalculus exclusively. So what's your beef with BC??

A beer made with 100% "aromatic" malt is almost certainly made with MFB special aromatic and not any of the other malts called "aromatic".

I actually LOVE Beer Calculus!!! haha! My problems started when I posted a couple of recipes on this forum and a lot of people were telling me that my numbers were off. For example, BC would estimate say 56.3 IBUs and people would do it in another program and tell me "No, this is more like 88 IBUs." :confused:

Also, People would tell me that my OG was wrongly calculated. I mean I have no idea about this stuff yet so everyone could be lying to me.

But seriously, I really love BC. It's really easy to use and I use it all the time. It seems to me that Beer smith might be more accurate. Maybe it isn't really more accurate but people make it seem like it is.

Lastly, you've never had Three Floyd's?! Get your butt down to chicago and try some awesome beer!! :D

I was thinking from some of the reading that there might be two different styles of malts called aromatic.

Read the Hopville blog, he explains what his hop formula is. I think it's a hybrid, but in updates I thought he now gave you the ability to choose which hop formula.

This must be what you are talking about:

"Previously all IBU results were calculated using an ages-old custom formula that combined parts of the “Daniels method” with the “Garetz method”. I’ve now updated the IBU number to be customizable to the popular formulas (Tinseth, Garetz, Rager), but I also left in the old “Hopville method” so that existing recipes keep their existing IBU value. By default, new recipes added to Hopville will calculate IBUs by averaging the three commonly used formulas, but brewers with a formula preference can customize to use that instead."

I'm gonna go play around! :)

There doesn't seem to be an option for changing settings in Beer Calculus. NOt that I can find anyway...

Look at the section for imputting hops, run your eyes to the far right. Below bitterness there is a line that reads, "f:Tinseth edit" Click on edit, it becomes a drop down menu and you can switch it.

If you look around the screen there are a lot of little "edit" buttons around. Things like Batch and boil size can be changed. They are not in one place but scattered around the porgram. There's a couple of settings on the far left under processes as well.

Doh! Now I see it. But now the real question: Which one should I use? I've been using Tinseth all this time and didn't realize it. Still don't know what Tinseth is! :D

Ok, well, I am going with Tinseth. Here's is the final recipe.

OG 1.060
FG 1.015

7* SRM

73.6 IBU

6.0% ABV

12 lbs. Aromatic malt (Franco Belges Special Aromatic)

1.00 oz. Nelson Sauvin @ 15 minutes
1.00 oz. Amarillo @ 15 minutes

Safale us-05 yeast

Much better color, IBUs are right where I want then, and Good OG. Also found the correct Aromatic malt. I'll keep everyone posted. Can't wait to brew this!

Where did you find Nelson Sauvin? I've been looking all over for it and every place seems to be out.

Sorry guys. I actually never made this. I was thinking about brewing this very soon and now I can't find Nelson Sauvin anywhere! haha!

Maybe I'll make this but try some different hops. Should be good either way.

Hello.

I am trying to come up with a recipe using 100% Aromatic malts. I have a couple of questions.

1.) I want this to be about 73 IBUs. Not sure if I'm there because Beer Calculus in the worst brewing software in the world and NEVER accurate! :D

2.) I have never used aromatic malts before. Not sure what kind to buy but on rebelbrewer.com they have about 3 different kinds. Any idea which aromatic I should go with? OR maybe I can mix a couple different kinds?

3.) Beer calculus says this is @ 25* SRM. Is that really dark? I'm aiming for a reddish copper color I suppose. Three Floyds did a beer with 100% aromatic and it looked and tasted wonderful. That is the inspiration for this beer.

http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/three-floyds-aotearoa/132814/

Here's my recipe thus far:

OG 1.065
FG 1.016

25* SRM

59.7 IBU

6.5% ABV

12 lbs. Aromatic malt

0.50 oz. Nelson Sauvin @ 15 minutes
0.50 oz. Amarillo @ 15 minutes

1 tsp. Irish Moss @ 15 minutes
geltain finings (when do you put these in?)
Cold crash (Have no idea how to do this!)

Safale us-05 yeast (Not sure what yeast would do well with this but everyone seems to love 05).

Just a note, the "aromatic" malt is actually French 2-row barley that is malted differently. True "Aromatic Malt" will not self convert.

Ølbart;3008900 said:
What makes one Aromatic Malt true and another Aromatic Malt, erm, untrue?

The way it is processed, the "True Aromatic malt" is like a Stronger flavored more malty Munich type, this malt is actually a touch stronger flavored than Munich but still not has heavily roasted as the "true aromatic" malt. The Site listed even says to use this one like you would Vienna.

Just a note, the "aromatic" malt is actually French 2-row barley that is malted differently. True "Aromatic Malt" will not self convert.

Acording to the Wiki it has a Diastatic Power of 30 and there have been several people that have made SMaSH's with it.

By True Special Aromatic do you mean MFB Special Aromatic?

MFB Special Aromatic base malt has a color similar to Vienna so say 3-5 L but the typical Aromatic specialty malt is more like 20L. I always thought Aromatic specialty malt had just enough enzymes to convert but I don't remember ever using more than 10%.

This is from Castle on their Aromatic specialty malt:
Belgian aromatic malt. High germination temperature, kilning up to 115°C, to develop much aroma.

Characteristics:
Château Arôme malt provides rich malty aroma and flavour to amber and dark lager beers. Compared to other traditional coloured malts, Château Arôme has a higher diastatic power and imparts a smoother bitterness.

Usage:

Special very aromatic beers.
Up to 20% of the mix.

And this is from Dingemans on their Aromatic specialty malt:
Colored malt
Aromatic (Amber 50) (17 – 21 L)

Dingemans Aromatic is a mildly kilned malt that will add a strong malt aroma and deep color when used as a specialty malt. This malt can make up to 100% of the grain bill, but it is fairly low in surplus diastatic enzymes.

I made a beer with 100% Dingemanns aromatic malt and it was excellent (after enough conditioning time in the bottle). I wanted to do a super simple sMasH, so one malt, one 1 oz. hop addition. Here's the recipe:

malt & fermentables
% LB OZ Malt or Fermentable ppg °L
100% 11 0 Aromatic Malt info 36 26 ~
Batch size: 6.0 gallons

Original Gravity
1.052 measured
(1.050 estimated)
Final Gravity
1.015 measured
(1.013 estimated)
Color
21° SRM / 42° EBC
(Brown to Dark Brown)
Mash Efficiency
75%

hops
use time oz variety form aa
boil 60 mins 1.0 Perle info pellet 9.5
Boil: 6.5 avg gallons for 60 minutes

Bitterness
31.3 IBU / 10 HBU
ƒ: Tinseth
BU:GU

yeast
Safale US-05 Dry Yeast info
ale yeast in dry form with low to medium flocculation and 73% attenuation

Alcohol
4.9% ABV / 4% ABW
(4.9% est. ABV / 4% est. ABW)
Calories
165 per 12 oz.

misc

boil 10 min 1 tsp Irish Moss

After about two months, this beer was delicious. Really easy to drink and tasty. If I did it again, I would probably add about two ounces of Willamette during the last ten minutes just to improve the nose a bit and add some subtle hop character.

I made a beer with 100% Dingemanns aromatic malt and it was excellent (after enough conditioning time in the bottle). I wanted to do a super simple sMasH, so one malt, one 1 oz. hop addition. Here's the recipe:

malt & fermentables
% LB OZ Malt or Fermentable ppg °L
100% 11 0 Aromatic Malt info 36 26 ~
Batch size: 6.0 gallons

Original Gravity
1.052 measured
(1.050 estimated)
Final Gravity
1.015 measured
(1.013 estimated)
Color
21° SRM / 42° EBC
(Brown to Dark Brown)
Mash Efficiency
75%

hops
use time oz variety form aa
boil 60 mins 1.0 Perle info pellet 9.5
Boil: 6.5 avg gallons for 60 minutes

Bitterness
31.3 IBU / 10 HBU
ƒ: Tinseth
BU:GU

yeast
Safale US-05 Dry Yeast info
ale yeast in dry form with low to medium flocculation and 73% attenuation

Alcohol
4.9% ABV / 4% ABW
(4.9% est. ABV / 4% est. ABW)
Calories
165 per 12 oz.

misc

boil 10 min 1 tsp Irish Moss

After about two months, this beer was delicious. Really easy to drink and tasty. If I did it again, I would probably add about two ounces of Willamette during the last ten minutes just to improve the nose a bit and add some subtle hop character.

Thanks Tedclev I am going to give it a go.

I did a aromatic SMASH before too and it definitely works. I'd do a longer than usual mash to help break down the chains more tho, unless a higher FG is what you want.

Back