Simple Nut Brown recipe for new to All Grain

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kosch

Reaction score
Hi All,

I'm wondering if someone has an idea for a fairly simple Nut Brown recipe for my first all grain brew?

I'm only doing 2.5 gallon batches, so was going to do a Nut Brown and a Hefeweizen (thinking of this one for the Hefe: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f70/bee-cave-brewery-bavarian-hefeweizen-35679/)

I'm looking for simple just to reduce the amount of different grains and hops I might need, you know, in case I totally screw it up :)

Appreciate any ideas you might have!

Thanks,

Kosch

For a grain bill I like something like:
8lb marris otter
1lb brown malt
1lb C40
4oz pale chocolate

Use about 25 IBUs of a English or English type hop. Willamette, Golding, target etc. the hops aren't so important in a beer like this. It's more malt focused.

I am BY NO MEANS an expert; this was my first attempt at an American Brown All Grain recipe, and like you, I wanted to keep the grain bill simple. I was quite pleased with it:

Code:
Recipe 		First Try American Brown	Style 		American Brown Ale
Brewer 		Fish4Fun    		        Batch 		6.5 gal

Recipe Characteristics
Recipe Gravity 		1.054 OG 		Estimated FG 		1.014 FG
Recipe Bitterness 		28 IBU 		Alcohol by Volume 		5.3%
Recipe Color 		28° SRM 		Alcohol by Weight 		4.1%

Ingredients
Quantity 
1.00 lb 		Chocolate Malt 
2.00 lb 		Crystal 60L - 
10.00 lb 		Two-row Base Malt 

1.00 oz 		Kent Goldings   		Pellet 		30 minutes
1.00 oz 		Northern Brewer  		Whole 		60 minutes

1.00 unit 		Wyeast 1187 - Ringwood Ale

Mash Schedule:
30 Min @ 105F (~40C)
40 Min @ 140F (~60C)
30 min @ 160F (~70C)

Mash Type:
Continuous Circulation through grain in a bag.

My OG was right on the mark, and my actual FG was very close(1.015). I racked directly to 1/6bbl Sanke Keg and pressurized @ 30PSI while chilling to 40F. @ 24 hours after kegging it was still a bit flat, but by 48 hours it was properly carbonated and formed a nice creamy head while pouring.

It turned out darker in color than I was anticipating (Very Black), but it was surprisingly drinkable without any heaviness to it. There was a bit of bitterness from the chocolate that played nicely with the mild hop schedule. I will definitely be refining the recipe, perhaps using a lighter chocolate malt or adding some flaked barley to increase the body a bit, but overall I was very pleased with my "First Try American Brown", and the grain bill is short and simple.

Obviously you would need to cut everything back for a 2.5 gallon batch. I would strongly encourage you to get something like QBrew or Beer Smith to help you trim any grain bill/hop schedule, cutting everything in half doesn't always work out the way you think it might.

Good Luck!

Fish

Euphist said:
If you use Tim's recipe (it looks good to me) be sure and cut everything in half...that's clearly a 5 gal recipe.

Oh wow, good catch. I didn't see he said 2.5 gallon batch. Yup, just cut everything in half. It's a simple recipe but it always comes out great. Use a nuetral ale yeast. 1056 or even Notty produce great results. 002 if you like a little more of that English flavor.

Awesome, thanks everyone! I'll let you know which one I end up going with, it will probably depend on what the LHBS has in stock, I'm kind of leaning towards Tim's but we shall see.

Thanks again!

Kosch

Back