Pile O' Chamomile (pics)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Brewed the Wildflower Wheat from Extreme Brewing. It calls for 2 ounces of chamomile. I made a 11g batch, so I just upped it to 5 ounces. Man that is a LOT OF CHAMOMILE!

I was worried for 2 reasons: it's a lot more than I thought it would be, and the recipe calls for it to be boiled 60 instead of late addition. I was worried about bitterness.

Boil aroma was amazing.

Hydro tasted and smelled very nice. Don't think any of this was a problem. Anyway, here's some pics (cause I know we all love pics)

Weighing_Chamomile_5_oz_.JPG

Chamomile.JPG

Chamomile_in_Hop_Bag.JPG

That's a lot of chamomile! I hope ya like the taste of it, cuz its pretty potent stuff. Made a wit with 1 oz and it ruined the beer for me. Though maybe the nuclear strength approach is the way to go?

That's a lot of chamomile! I hope ya like the taste of it, cuz its pretty potent stuff. Made a wit with 1 oz and it ruined the beer for me. Though maybe the nuclear strength approach is the way to go?

We'll just have to wait and see. I'm not above dumping something else in there at the end of fermentation of it is offensive (hops, lactose, whatever).

I pulled a thief from this beer. Wow. Both the honey and the chamomile are present. Just amazing. FG was at 1.020, and that will probably drop due to the honey being a slow fermenter, but guys and gals this is very flavorful. I make a lot of beer and I am rarely surprised like this.

I pulled a thief from this beer. Wow. Both the honey and the chamomile are present. Just amazing. FG was at 1.020, and that will probably drop due to the honey being a slow fermenter, but guys and gals this is very flavorful. I make a lot of beer and I am rarely surprised like this.

Nice! I did the extract version of this and it was terrible. I think I messed up somewhere along the way and I want to try it again.

Did you convert to All Grain or did you go extract?

I bought 1 oz of the stuff and used probably over half of it in a wheat and I let it age for 2 months and had to toss it. I really think the chamomile ruined it.

Latest posts

Back