Last Minute Thoughts on recipe, Imperial India Brown Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KyleWolf

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I am going to start brewing sat. morning and thought I would throw this up for a last review. Nothing can be taken out of the grain bill, but perhaps a bit can be added (had it shipped from brewmaster's warehouse and it is all pre-mixed).

Imperial India Brown Ale
>
> 14 lb 12oz Two-Row
> 01 lb 00oz Brown Malt
> 00 lb 12oz Crystal 60
> 00 lb 12oz Special Roast
> 00 lb 08oz Flaked Oats
> 00 lb 06oz Chocolate Malt
>
> 1.75oz 60min Columbus
> 0.75oz 35min Columbus
> 2.00oz 20min Willamette
> 1.50oz 05min Willamette
> 1.00oz 05min Amarillo
>
> 0.50oz Columbus dry hop
> 1.00oz Amarillo dry hop
> 1.00oz Willamette dry hop

Yeast, WLP001, fresh yeast cake from an amarillo pale ale.
>
> 5 gal batch, 120 min boil
> predicted OG 1.097
> predicted FG 1.023 (actually aiming for 1.016 using a re-pitch after 7 days)
> IBU approx 95-98
> estimated efficiency: 75%
> Mash at ~150-152

Don't worry about the boil time and efficiency I have already discussed that... in detail, with some of my homebrew group and fine individuals here.

My biggest concern is that the amarillo doesn't really go together with the rest of the hops. Yet without it, it really isn't going to have a good "hop punch". I have a few other hops at my disposal and I wouldn't be too upset if I had to pick up an oz or two of something else. But here are the other hops I have in stock.
have a little (.25-.5)oz of Simcoe, 1-1.5 oz Warrior, 1.00oz Chinook,
and MAYBE 0.50 oz of Centennial laying around somewhere. Otherwise a ton of willamette, amarillo, and columbus wasting space in the freezer.'

Thanks in advance!

With my water profile this recipe is going to be Stout dark and roasty, if you like that kind of beer it will be great, but it's not going to brown. I would be adding some gypsum to fit in the stout water profile better.

What does your SRM come out to be? It hit mine at a solid 24, which is what I hit my last brown at. The recipe wasn't much different either.

10.75# 2 row
1.00# munich
0.75# C60
0.75# special roast
0.75# Victory
0.50# Chocolate
0.38# CaraAmber

This is only speaking of the color. The flavor I can not really say what it was SUPPOSE to be like, because of...complications, with my CO2, my beer severely oxidized, and a lot of flavor was lost under the green apple.

But I will say, from past experience with my water and a similar recipe, it really should be a good solid brown in color, albiet, a dark brown.

What program do you use? My SRM of 24 was according to BeerSmith and Hopville.

I will say I do worry that .75lbs of Special Roast will be too much. It may give the beer too much of a roast flavor when I was aiming toward a little more nutty. Thank you for your insight. It is something I definitely have to keep in mind.

last minutes before I start the boil...what do people think of changing out the 35min columbus and dry hop with Chinook? any thoughts? I have 50min until the first bittering addition.

I think the Columbus is fine. I find it goes very well with your mor citrusy hops as it is very earthy, herby, and spicy. Should complement the later Willamette.

I am stoked. switched the beer over to secondary today. OG 1.092, FG 1.016 using WLP001 and fermenting at ~70. That's 83% attenuation giving me an almost exactly 10% ABV beer. Added the dry hops

0.75oz Chinook
1.00oz Willamette
1.00oz Amarillo

Oh man, I can not wait for this to get carbed.:rockin: I also think it helped that I hit my gravity today on my belgian tripel.

Back