...and I shall name it Laughing Gnome BARLEYWINE!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zymurgrafi

Reaction score
or perhaps "monkey wrench hoedown in the testicles" BARLEYWINE

not sure yet. It will be an American BARLEYWINE not an English Barley wine. :rolleyes:

Finally ready to take the plunge. Brewed up an ordinary bitter last weekend which I will use the yeast cake from.

recipe:

For 5 gallons
70% Efficicency (or is it 75% now... hmmmm)

OG 1.091
IBU 88

17 # of MO
1 # of Crystal 60L
.50 # Carared
1 # 10 oz. (approx. 1 quart) Grade B Maple Syrup ( to dry it out a bit and to give it that local flavor ) edit* at flameout

Hops
45 g Magnum 15.5% @ 60 minutes
14 g Centennial 8.5% @ 20
21 g Cascade 4.5% @ 10
14 g Centennial 8.5% @ 5
14 g Cascade 4.5% @ flameout
28 g Amarillo 5% Dry hopped

US-05 yeast (yeast cake)

90 Minute boil

Ferment @ 66F for a month then rack to a keg CO2 blanket bleed of the airspace and let it sit for I dunno 6 months in my cool basement (50's F)? Sample and then transfer to a new clean keg. Let sit a few more months add some dry hops. Transfer once more to get off the dry hops... Sample.

Something like that. Not sure if I can manage anything special for aeration. I do not have a pure oxygen rig. I have an aquarium pump but no airstone. I have thought about getting an airstone like the ones used in aquariums soaking it in starsan and then disposing of it afterward. I cannot get a stainless stone locally and I am ready to brew so I do not want to wait. I usually use a venturi tube on my siphon and I shake as well.

Maybe with a nice big yeast pitch I do not need to worry too much?

I really want this to work out. This is my favorite beer style. I think I am ready.

Anyway, on further contemplation I do not think I could ever drink anything with the initially proposed names. Especially the former. Ewwwwwww.

Guess I will call it Birdseye Barley Wine in the end. ;)

Lol ... looks pretty good, z. Good hoppin' schedule, too. US-05 is gonna go completely gangbusters batsh1t on that stuff, watch for extreme blowoff potential.

Are you adding the maple @ flameout? 5" before?

Cheers!

Maybe with a nice big yeast pitch I do not need to worry too much?

I think thats a good plan. Its been a while since I've listened to Jamil's podcast on Barleywine. I seem to remember them talking about how pitching enough yeast (esp in high gravity wort) is much more important than proper aeration. Technically, if you pitch a lot of yeast, they won't have to reproduce.

Back