Help me come up with my 50th Birthday (or my Memorial) 5 year aged Barleywine recipe.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
An update.

33883_10151134215714067_1516573581_n.jpg

It was going to get bottled today, but my jet bottle washer broke while rinsing bottles and I didn't want to clean them all by hand. But I decided to pull a sample anyway.

So it's been in the oak bourbon barrel since June....It's insane. It tastes chocolatey???? It tastes like the latest batch of Bourbon County Stout actually, NOT a 17.5% Barleywine. But smoother. This thing is dangerous. What it doesn't taste is over oakey like I thought it would in the barrel for 5 month.

An update.

33883_10151134215714067_1516573581_n.jpg

It was going to get bottled today, but my jet bottle washer broke while rinsing bottles and I didn't want to clean them all by hand. But I decided to pull a sample anyway.

So it's been in the oak bourbon barrel since June....It's insane. It tastes chocolatey???? It tastes like the latest batch of Bourbon County Stout actually, NOT a 17.5% Barleywine. But smoother. This thing is dangerous. What it doesn't taste is over oakey like I thought it would in the barrel for 5 month.

I love the depth of flavor that barrel aging gives a beer, looks beautiful by the way!

Damn, the Duvel I have here with me doesn't taste no more as good as before the reading of this post :D :D
I'd like to be over there with you :D :D

Cheers from Italy!
Piteko

Revvy said:
An update.

Hey Revvy, great to hear that's a good one. I have been dying to try this as well but I tasted a few Oaked IPA's and it seems either too much or not enough. I would love to know your recipe if you want to share it!!

Hey Revvy, great to hear that's a good one. What's the scoop in your barrel? Is it a new barrel, an old whiskey barrel or wine barrel or any other info about it. I have been dying to try this as well but I tasted a few Oaked IPA's and it seems either too much or not enough. I would love to know your recipe if you want to share it!! 😄

It was a barrel decommisioned in June from a distillery, got it through adventures in homebrewing.

As to the recipe...it's in this thread, there's a link to it in the first post.

Revvy said:
It was a barrel decommisioned in June from a distillery, got it through adventures in homebrewing.

As to the recipe...it's in this thread, there's a link to it in the first post.

Awesome Revvy thanks!

Revvy said:
Actually if he's serious he could talk to this guy, he might be willing to part with some.

I wouldn't be making the exact same beer. Just use the same base recipe and alternative sources for the honey. I'm assuming it would still be a great beer.

A much needed update...Because I couldn't resist.

486832_10151433938779067_782536628_n.jpg
969433_10151433938859067_1149336024_n.jpg
971916_10151433938899067_823570118_n.jpg

It's been a year on the oak barrel. I couldn't resist pulling a sample. It needs to finally get into the bottle and sit til my 50th. This 17.5 percent ABV monster of a barleywine with 50 year old honey still continues to evolve over the three years since we brewed it.

I can't even describe the flavors I'm tasting, chocolate, vanilla, oak, raisins, bourbon, caramel, toffee, coffee, marshmallow. It is the most insane beer I've ever made...or even tasted. A once in a lifetime brew. The funny thing is that it seems to actually increased in alcoholic bite, rather than mellowed. As if it pulled every dram of liquor out of the wood of the barrel.

You really make me want to drive to wherever the hell you are and beg for a sip. Sounds amazing and moreso every time i read the thread. It also sounds amazing that you are seemingly more optimistic about being here to taste it on your actual 50th birthday. And then some. Cheers.

Been a long while since I been poking around here, that beer is looking amazing!

I moved from AZ to IL so I might make a few bigger brew events, maybe try and meet you and a few others at some point.

A much needed update...Because I couldn't resist.

486832_10151433938779067_782536628_n.jpg

It's been a year on the oak barrel. I couldn't resist pulling a sample. It needs to finally get into the bottle and sit til my 50th.

....if there is any left by then.

It sounds really interesting.

...any updates?

So I'm about to bottle this beast after two years in a then immediately decomissioned bourbon barrel.....I can't even describe the taste...it's more like a liqueur than a beer.... check out the legs on these two pics when I swirled the glass.... Going to use CBC-1 Keg and bottle conditioning yeast.

Thought i'd share and wish you all a good Yule! REVVY. :mug:

1477360_10152575752429067_8605520252540443267_n.jpg

10388177_10152575752574067_7293613037517669655_n.jpg

That is awesome! Can't wait to hear the tasting notes after its bottled, also interested to see how well it carbs up!

Look's awesome. You have me thinking about making a barley wine this summer. Then let it age a couple years until my 50th birthday.

Just read this whole thing for the first time today. Very cool Revvy, thanks for sharing. Sounds like an amazing beer.

So my Birthday was Thursday, and on Saturday my friends, many of who were involved with the barleywine came together to celebrate with me. Many folks there were beer judges and homebrewers.

Many of you might not have heard (I think the thread about it was in the secret members only part) but in February I lost half of what I owned, including all my brewing gear to an apartment fire.

10446454_10152778946499067_7937244103579001391_n.jpg

Luckily only about two weeks before in anticipation of bottling it for the final 6 months I brought the oak barrel where the beer had been aging for the last 2+ years up from the basement store room, where it had been hiding on a dolly on the floor, under some shelves. Had I not, the barrel would have been under 4 feet of dirty fire house water and the beer would have been ruined.

My friend Bill grabbed the barrel and stored it at his place. But with life we did not get to bottle age it like I had planned. We only got it bottled a month ago.

The barrel was the fourth racking in 5 year, it sat in primary IIRC for a month, then racked to a secondary and was re-yeasted to bring it further down, then racked to glass to get it off all the yeast trub, and sat I think for a year in the tertiary before I secured the barrel.

I'm not sure how much went into the barrel, probably about 4 gallons. I would say over the years I probably pulled maybe a half gallon of samples, I tried to be good... and really don't think it was more than that.

D0335670-2ECC-46A4-ACD7-4D43E481B91C_zpspabkgevo.jpg

So it was much to our surprise that there was only about 1.5 gallons in the barrel! A lot of evaporation/angel's share/concentration happened in those years.

Bill and I made a snap decision to bring the volume up to 2 gallons with 1/2 gallon of distilled water.

After diluting it with the water we took a gravity reading and much to our surprise it came out to a whopping 19.75%.

We added Dantsar CBC-1 bottling yeast and went ahead and bottling, getting sadly only 22 bottles.

On Tuesday Bill came by with a bottle of it for us to taste before the party.
11935080_10155878402020315_1049055146322144184_n.jpg

So on Saturday, after dinner (I sous-vided a 10 pound leg of lamb) we cracked open 5 precious bottle of it to share with the guests.

11951146_10153648635752642_4721339606047105395_n.jpg

11896100_10153648635782642_476849101066802056_n.jpg

It has no carbonation, but it has so much depth going for it. I can't even describe the complexity of the aromas and flavors in there, cocoa, tobacco, vanilla, dark fruits, marshmallow, toffee, burnt sugar, almonds, hazelnuts, sherry....on and on and on.

It's not a beer, it has legs so thick it's more like a spirit, like a brandy.

C25F38F3-FB5A-403B-9809-B698570F6666_zpskt6p63xm.jpg

Everyone, beer geeks and non beer geeks raved about it.

I hope some of the folks who were there, who might be on here can tell what they thought about it.

I am quite satisfied and proud of what we pulled off making it.

Now I have to seal each bottle in a little crate or something to keep me from drinking them all down.

Sorry I couldn't be there- but I was there in spirit and thought of you often. Glad that the beer was a success, and that you were able to enjoy it with friends.

An honest congratulations revvy! Now that you've passed the mark, I hope to meet you in person, perhaps for a pint or a dram.... That barley wine is truely a once in a lifetime experience, maybe in several lifetimes, the planets were aligned to bring it all together.... I'm glad I have been along for the ride as you posted about your memorial brew. It's a thing of beauty!!!

Happy birthday, it sounds like an amazing brewing and tasting experience.

I wish I had such fore sight, I turned 49 today. I'm thinking I need to do something like this for my 55th! Thank you for the inspiration.

Congrats on everything, Revvy!

I am turning 45 next year... this is a plan.

:)

Generally birthdays happen, whether you plan them or not. ;)

@Revvy it looks like that beer and you have been through quite a bit together. It looks thick, I like it. Happy Birthday and congrats to you!

Generally birthdays happen, whether you plan them or not. ;)

@Revvy it looks like that beer and you have been through quite a bit together. It looks thick, I like it. Happy Birthday and congrats to you!

Not if I don't tell people when they are!

To some people, I have been 36 for quite a few years now...

;)

Latest posts

Back