Grape + Peach wine testing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

muph

Reaction score
Just started this, gonna see how it goes.

1/4 Potato Dextrose Broth
2/4 (1/2) Welch's Grape Juice
1/4 Welch's White Grape Peach (contains Potassium Metabisulfite)
10oz Granulated Sugar (per Gallon)
10oz Corn Sugar (per Gallon)
Red Star Montrachet Yeast

When clear, rack, top up and refit airlock. After additional 30 days, stabilize, sweeten if desired and rack into bottles.

I'm testing it out on 1 gallon.

There is a wine making forum by the way.

Weak :(.. I thought I put this in the right place, my bad.

Uhh... OK.

The potato dextrose broth sounds pretty disgusting.

lol, smells incredibly good though.. Like baked potatoes. I'm pretty sure all/most of it will be eaten by the yeast anyways, that's what it's there for. After all you can't taste the other yeast food in the final product (sugar)

lol, smells incredibly good though.. Like baked potatoes. I'm pretty sure all/most of it will be eaten by the yeast anyways, that's what it's there for. After all you can't taste the other yeast food in the final product (sugar)

So, what's the purpose of the potato stuff?

I read that, but I don't see any reason to put it in wine.

It's basically homemade yeast nutrient. Some people use yeast nutrient with wine, some people don't.

It's basically homemade yeast nutrient. Some people use yeast nutrient with wine, some people don't.

I still don't think it has a place in wine. Especially 25%. Wine yeast is so cheap, why not just use more if you think you need it?

I still don't think it has a place in wine. Especially 25%. Wine yeast is so cheap, why not just use more if you think you need it?

If you care about quality it does. More yeast doesn't = more alcohol, more sugar does, regardless of how much yeast there is if there is not more sugar only taste will be affected (adversely) by adding more yeast. The 25% PBP is a mixture of water with potato infusion which acts as yeast nutrient, the recipe calls for 25% water so this amount is appropriate... The nutrient portion will be eaten by the yeast. This ensures a more healthy cultivation of yeast. Wine and mead typically do not have enough nutrients on their own to produce a good end result. Beer on the other hand, usually has enough nutrients in the wort and adding them is not needed. Here is further reading if you would like to take a look...

Yeast nutrients - Home Brewing Wiki

:mug:

Wanted to update this thread... Tested some when racking to secondary, taste great! Really warms you up quick..

Latest posts

Back