Fruit Loops/Honey Nut Cheerios in Beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrhighnmighty

Reaction score
I had some buddies over the other day to help me start brewing my Grateful Dead Guy clone and we were talking. A friend of mine said his buddy made a batch of beer using fruit loops as an ingredient! FRUIT LOOPS? Never heard of such a thing but I thought it would be good.

He said the guy used apple jacks and honey nut cheerios in beer too? Anyone ever tried using cereal in beer? If so, what were your results?

Some people have tried it. There was talk (and some action on it) about experimenting at this link. Some ingredients suggested were grapenuts, couscous, wormwood, angostura bitters, beano tablets, corn husks, and Whoppers. Here's the page where someone tries some with grapenuts, and other stuff...His results are later in the thread.

I'm waiting on some bottles from a friend who used crunch berries in his mash. The color of the beer was green when he was done

I was thinking about using Captain Crunch in a beer recipe... it could be interesting... We'll see! I just survived a home brew emergency (clogged fermentation lock and overflow) with my Dead Guy clone, so I need to take a step back before I take any risks....LOL

In the latest issue of BYO magazine they have a recipe for bacon beer as well as using different breakfast foods including the kids cereal.

I brewed a blonde with Cap'n Crunch with Crunch Berries. The beer has a very light blue-ish tint, but it's very hard to see. The krauesen was, as Augie said, and obnoxious green! But I scraped it off and thing sare fine. The beer has a smell that is definately "cereal"! The taste is fine, but it does finish sweet. Certainly drinkable.

If I were to do it again, which I probably won't, I would add some darker crystal malt to it (40-60). I used Crystal 20, but some 60 or so might help add a deeper sweetness to it before you get to the finish. That way, the finish sweetness wouldn't stand out so much.

I brewed a blonde with Cap'n Crunch with Crunch Berries. The beer has a very light blue-ish tint, but it's very hard to see. The krauesen was, as Augie said, and obnoxious green! But I scraped it off and thing sare fine. The beer has a smell that is definately "cereal"! The taste is fine, but it does finish sweet. Certainly drinkable.

If I were to do it again, which I probably won't, I would add some darker crystal malt to it (40-60). I used Crystal 20, but some 60 or so might help add a deeper sweetness to it before you get to the finish. That way, the finish sweetness wouldn't stand out so much.

Sorry to resurrect thread. Did you just mash with them, any in the boil or dry "hop"? I am curious of trying this too.

A member of my homebrew club does a Cinnamon Toast Crunch milk brown ale. 12.7oz of cereal in the mash, 6.3oz of cereal in the boil 5' from flameout.

I've dry hopped a stout with Reeses Pieces cereal in the keg. Came out really good and was a hit with the LHBC. Just make sure you have it in a muslin bag or keg dry hopper.

I've dry hopped a stout with Reeses Pieces cereal in the keg. Came out really good and was a hit with the LHBC. Just make sure you have it in a muslin bag or keg dry hopper.

Did you do anything to sanitize it before dry hopping?

I have one of those micron screen dry hop things for dry hopping kegs. I filled it as full as I could which IIRC was like half a box of cereal. Nothing to sanitize if you open a fresh box, right out of the packaging and into the keg.

Latest posts

Back