Flying Dog In Heat Wheat Hefe Weizen clone??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hendricksonfr

Reaction score
I really love this beer, so I'm looking for a way to clone it as my next batch. Anybody have any suggestions/recipes??? Or know how I could get some???

The key to the Hefe is to use a true Hefe yeast. Pretty much any wheat beer recipe should be fine. I'd use Wyeast 3068. Here's a basic extract recipe I usually give to new brewers.

Wheat Beer
OG 1.048
AE 1.011

6.5lbs Wheat liquid malt extract
6 oz Wheat malt
4 oz Pilsener malt
3 oz Cara Vienne
3 oz Acidulated malt

1 oz Challenger pellet hops @ -60min
1 oz Hersbrucker hops @ -15min

Hey, thanks for the tip. I looked into it some more and learned that it's all about the yeast I'd use. I've only done 4 partial mash batches so far and all of them have been IPAs, APAs and a Stout. Now I want to explore some lighter beers. Have you ever heard of/had Flying Dog? They're a local brewery here in MD.

They're from Denver, originally, so yeah I've had almost all of their beers. They still have HQ here but they moved production to MD, for some reason.

George Stranahan is the owner of Flying Dog. He's also minority owner of Stranahan's Colorado Whiskey, which is probably the best straight whiskey ever.

Oh cool - did not know that. I'm working my way through all of their beers. I definitely love what I've had so far though.

I believe Eric Warner developed the recipe for Flying Dog, and he's the one who wrote the book on German Wheat beers: http://www.amazon.com/dp/0937381349/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20 Certainly worth a read if it is a style that you are interested in (even though it is pushing 20 years old).

Personally I'd go simpler on the recipe, no reason to do a mini-mash, just wheat DME and 3068 can make a great beer. Try to keep fermentation temps down in the 60s, up in the 70s the banana dominates with bubblegum other off-flavors joining in.

Last edited by a moderator:
I realize this is an older thread, but I was curious if anyone found a solid clone recipe for the Flying Dog In Heat Hefe... I had a six pack of this stuff the other day and am ready to figure out how to brew at it home. Any ideas?

Nateo - how close is your wheat recipe above to the Flying Dog Hefe?

Brrit - It's not a clone, but if you like In Heat, you'll like it.

The yeast is really what makes the beer. If you use something like 3068 it'll come out like a hefe, but you could also use something S-04 if you want an American-style wheat, or a Belgian Wit strain. I've fermented it with 3068, S-04 and 3463 - Forbidden Fruit and it came out really well every time. It's a pretty versatile base recipe.

And like Oldsock said, watch your ferm temps, and also don't overpitch.

bump this, I googled for a clone and it pointed me to this thread... I am looking for hefe recipes similar to flying dog (that is one of my 3 fav commercial hefes). Only one which is domestic.

Back