Fermcap S Alternative

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BBL_Brewer

Reaction score
I'm looking for an alternative to fermcap s. Seems the FDA does not recommend using it without filtration. I just started using it and am pretty happy with the results. I found this with a google search. It's made by New London. Anybody try it? Appears to be non oil based, so it shouldn't cause any problems with head retention. Here's the product description.

C-4800 and C-4804

C-4800 /4804 is a 100% active, food-grade, kosher defoamer designed to destroy foam in aqueous environments, especially those food manufacturing, fermentation, agricultural and industrial-grade processes where the presence of silicone is not desired or cannot be tolerated. C-4800 contains no silicone and no mineral oils.

C-4800 /4804 contains only ingredients that are recognized by qualified experts as safe in food products according to the Code of Federal Regulations, Title 21, part 173.340. Because of its GRAS status, it may therefore be safely used as a direct food additive in an amount not to exceed that reasonably required to inhibit foaming in most food applications. When used in sufficient but not excessive quantities, C-4800 /4804 should not alter the taste or odor of food products.

C-4800 /4804 may also find utility as an indirect food additive for the manufacture of articles or components of articles intended for use in producing, manufacturing, packing, processing, preparing, treating, packaging, transporting, or holding food; and is approved for the following regulations: 21 CFR 175.105, 175.320, 176.170, 176.200, 176.210, 177.1200, 177.2260, 177.2800, 178.3910. Please consult the Code of Federal Regulations for further clarification on defoamer usage in your particular food-grade application.

Very interesting. I don't know anything about it, but I wonder if it would keep foaming down during the boil too. That's namely why I use Fermcap-S.

There is a company called Birko that makes a food safe anti foam agent.

Google them, I had some conversation with their biochemist recently but did not ask where it's available, I will try to get back in touch with them and post what I find.

Update

I called the company and left a message. A salesman called me back, but was out of the office. He offered to send me a sample when he gets back. Nothing on pricing or quantity yet. Hopefully they don't sell this stuff in 55 gallon drums!

Most alternatives I found needed to be purchased in very large quantaties. I found this one though http://www.chicompany.net/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=376_261_388_307&products_id=2293
It seems to work just as good as fermcap s for holding back fermentation foam for boilovers fermcap s works a little better.

I'm prob gonna give this a shot then. I had contacted www.brewerssupplygroup.com and they got back to me saying that Fermcap AT can't be purchased in smaller quantities. Not really sure where to find it, if at all, on a homebrewing level.

Most alternatives I found needed to be purchased in very large quantaties. I found this one though http://www.chicompany.net/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=376_261_388_307&products_id=2293
It seems to work just as good as fermcap s for holding back fermentation foam for boilovers fermcap s works a little better.

I am still waiting to hear back from my contact but I too found this same product and it appears to be the same as the Patcote 376 AF which is made by Birko. This vendor listed is actually in the Vendor forum on this site as well.

There's several threads about fermcap s substitute on here already.

Fermcap-s is simethecone, which is found in all these products.

Simethicone is generally available over the counter under many trade names in varying dosage sizes, including:

Air-X (Thailand)
Antiflat [1][2] (Austria)
Mag77
Baby's Own Infant Drops
Deflatine
De-Gas
Disflatyl
Espumisan
Flatulex
Gas Relief
Gas-X
GasAid
Gasvan (Serbia)
Genasyme
Imodium Multi-Symptom Relief (formerly Imodium Advanced)
Imogas
lnfacol
lnfacon
Kremil-S
Lefax (Germany)
Little Tummies
Maalox Anti-Gas
Maalox Max
Minifom (Norway, Sweden)
My Baby Gas Relief Drops
Mylanta Gas
Mylanta Gas Relief
Mylicon Drops
Ovol
Phazyme
Rolaids
SAB Simplex
Simeco
Telament (South Africa)
Triaerom (Peru)
WindEze (UK)
Gas-Med

There has been a couple threads about people using gas-x instead of fermcap...Preferably the drops.

I was a little concerned about the silicone too but I went back to using fermcap S for boiling. Its kind of hard to explain I might have to make a video next time I am boiling a starter but with the antifoam it seems like the foam has to form and then dissipate but with the fermcap s the bubbling foam just never forms.

I fianlly called the sales rep back today. He didn't even remember speaking to me. He was out of the office again....? so I gave him my email address and told him which product I was interested in. He shoots me an email wanting to know if I planned to add it directly to the fermenter or to the boil and what my batch size was. I said both and that the batch size was 8 bbl. I'm hoping for a large sample that will last me a while :D Is that wrong?

Back