The Egg's first Christmas brew (criticize away)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scrambledegg81

Flocculation Nation
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So I'm planning on starting this mutha up in a few hours-anyone care to give it the once-over? It's pretty much the same recipe as found on Beersmith with a few minor mods:

7.2 lb Amber LME
1 lb Special B malt
3 oz Cascade (2 @ 45 min., 1 @ 10)
2 cinnamon sticks (broken)
1/4 tsp. crushed cloves
1 lb clover honey (@ LME addition-I want that stuff to dissolve!)
2 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract (recipe says 2 tsp. but notes it needed more vanilla)
zest of 4 med. naval oranges
California Labs WLP351 (Bavarian Weizen)

Target SG: 1.053
Target FG: 1.015

:rockin:

Recipe called for a whitbread strain but the LHBS was out. I talked with the guy and he suggested 3 substitutes, so I went with the Bavarian since it apparently gives off a spicy clove note that should go well with the other additions.

I agree that the yeast strain is interesting, but if you ferment it low, you can get extra clove flavor. As for the other spices, I would add those after the fermentation is nearly complete in a secondary. You don't want to lose the spice flavor in the trub and you don't want to lose the aroma to CO2 outgassing.

What I do is boil about 1 cup of water and add freshly ground cinnamon, allspice, nutmeg, and 1 tbsp of vanilla extract (real, never imitation). Pour that into a 5 gal carboy (or whatever you use for a secondary), and then rack the beer onto it. I try to do this slightly before the beer has hit its final gravity so the still-working yeast can get rid of any oxygen that happens to make its way into the beer.

As for other critiques, I would reconsider the cascades. I love that hop, but not in a Christmas beer. Consider maybe fuggles, EKGs, williamettes, or hallertau.

Just came across this thread and am wondering how the beer has been progressing?! Anything you would change as of now? How does it look?

Quick question... Why use vanilla extract instead of whole vanilla beans? Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Brent

All went as expected-still not churning yet, but OG was only .003 higher than the target so we'll see. I checked about 4 different markets around my place and nobody had vanilla beans (absolute pity for San Diego county...), so I basically had to use extract. Also the extract was the only aromatic I put in so far-going to wait a week before adding the orange zest, cinnamon & clove.

As of now, it's DARK. That Special B malt makes it almost look like a porter more than an ale, even with 2/3 of it being amber LME! I'm also waiting at least 3 weeks to bottle and another month to condition, so this bad boy should be nice & mellow. :mug:

So 3 weeks later now, FG is 1.012, almost spot on! The aromatics definitely need some improving though-just not as much orange or vanilla coming through as I'd like. Will see how it turns out around mid-December. Cheers to all! :mug:

A good place to get Vanilla beans is from E-bay.
Great prices for some great beans. It is a lot better than paying upwards to $7 a bean at the grocery stores. Last time I bought them off of E-bay I bought a half pound (payed $15 dollars if I remember right). They have lasted over three years since I have kept them vacuum sealed.

Latest posts

Back