Dry Yeast Starter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dblee50

Reaction score
Is there any reason to make a starter using dry yeast? I don't mean the warm water, 15 minute prior to pitching, but that into a starter to use later. Would it enable a faster fermentation start?

No, there is no reason to make a starter for dry yeast. In fact, it may do more harm than good. The cell count in a package of dry yeast is more than sufficient.

I've always gotten very quick fermentations with dry yeast just being rehydrated. I made a starter with it once, hardly any difference.

I've rehydrated dry yeast before using, as well as done the "sprinkle" method. I've never used a starter for dry yeast. Both the methods I've used have always worked just fine.

Lorena

I sprinkle it on without rehydrating.

I don't know the science here but I gather dry yeast is sufficiently 'oxygenated' and has nutrient stocks that will let it get to work straight away, even on under-aerated wort, and that making a starter can deplete these stocks.

The cell count on a packet of dry yeast is much more than a liquid yeast vial, and it usually takes off within a few hours so I see no reason to use a starter. With liquid yeast, you should make a well aerated starter for best results. Just an opinion FWIW.

johnsma22 said:
No, there is no reason to make a starter for dry yeast. In fact, it may do more harm than good. The cell count in a package of dry yeast is more than sufficient.

I have done the sprinkle method. I have done the rehydrate method. I have done the starter method. I have even pitched onto a yeast cake from dried yeast.

I have yet to be able to tell a difference. This business about high cell counts being bade . . . meh. I have yet to hear a good reason why we shouldn't get the highest cell count possible. On another post, someone said that high cell counts will reduce the amount of fruity esters produced by the yeast . . . which is not at all a bad thing if you are looking for a "clean" profile like that imparted by Nottingham and the Cali Ale strains.

As for

I don't know the science here but I gather dry yeast is sufficiently 'oxygenated' and has nutrient stocks that will let it get to work straight away, even on under-aerated wort, and that making a starter can deplete these stocks.

It has something to do with the cell walls not being "ready" enough to be safe in the high sugar environment. As the cells rehydrate, their cell walls are better able to protect the cell in that environment (really scientific, huh) . . . I heard this on the BN (Brewing Network). Still, I never rehydrate, and I always get extremely short lag times with Nottingham.

sonvolt said:
It has something to do with the cell walls not being "ready" enough to be safe in the high sugar environment. As the cells rehydrate, their cell walls are better able to protect the cell in that environment (really scientific, huh) . . . I heard this on the BN (Brewing Network). Still, I never rehydrate, and I always get extremely short lag times with Nottingham.

When the cells are dry, they can't control what passes through their membranes. This is not a problem if they are rehydrated in water since water molecules are the only thing available to cross the membrane. If you rehydrate in wort, it's possible for a sugar molecule to cross the cell's membrane which will kill the cell. If this happens enough, it will reduce your cell count.

Very simply, 10-11 grams of dried yeast is plenty for 5 gallons. It will give you a high enough cell count regardless of how you add it, but proper re-hydration is a good idea. Making a starter can't hurt, but isn't needed.

About the only times I've made starters from dried yeast has been for meads. I'll re-hydrate the yeast in warm water, then add yeast nutrient and enough of the mead stock to make a starter that is 1/2 the starting gravity of the mead (1.040-1.050). I've just had tough times getting meads going.

Back