Can anyone convert this to PartialMash?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TimSTi

Reaction score
I really want to brew Blacklabs Orange Cascade Pale Ale but am not at all grain capabilities just yet. Here is the recipe:

9 lbs Maris Otter
1 lbs Vienna Malt
1 lbs Crystal Malt 10°L
1 oz Cascade (5.5%) - added first wort, boiled 60 min
1 oz Cascade (5.5%) - added during boil, boiled 10 min
1 oz Cascade (5.5%) - added during boil, boiled 5 min
1 oz Cascade (5.5%) - added during boil, boiled 1 min
2 ea Fermentis S-04 Safale S-04
2.0 oz Cascade (5.5%) - added dry to secondary fermenter
2.0 oz Orange zest - added during boil, boiled 10.0 min
1 oz Coriander crushed - added during boil, boiled 10 min
Whirlfloc - added during boil, boiled 15 mi

I don't care between DME or LME I just really want to brew this. Thanks for any help.

Roughly, to convert pale malt to LME, multiply by 0.75. For DME, multiply by 0.6.

Thus, 9 # MO = 6.75 # LME = 5.4 # DME.

So, if you can mash 4 # of grain, you need 1 # crystal, 1# Vienna, 2# MO. Extract would be 5.25 # LME or 4.2 # DME.

Of course, this is quite rough-estimate territory.

Cheers,

Bob

To add to my reply since I didn't give a specific answer I'd want to do as full a boil and large a mash I can for a 5 gallon batch with the 7.5 gallon pot.

Really the boil size is important, but knowing the rough size of your MLT would help. It's hard to fit 6 lbs of grain into a 2 gallon cooler. If you are using a large pot a la deathbrewer style PM (you can search for it if you haven't read it) then you'll be able to handle a different amount of grain. It's hard to know how much of the base grains to convert to extract if we don't know how much your system can handle.

I just did a PM and had 4.75 lbs of 2-rows and flaked barley in my MLT. i couldn't hold any more so i had to steep 1.75lbs of roasted barley, chocolate malt and crystal malt. The amount of grain you use does require you to take into account the boil size because you will want to mash and sparge with the right amount of water.

I assume you're doing a full boil, then, with the turkey fryer. I don't know how much grain you'll be able to mash (I don't know the size of your grain bag) but I'll guestimate 6 pounds.

3 pounds DME

1 pound Vienna
1 pound Crystal 10
4 pounds MO

I'd suggest 1.25 quarts of water per pound of grain- so you'd mash with 7.5 quarts of water and 152-154 is a good temperature. Sparge with up to 3 gallons of water, and top up the brewpot after the sparge with plain water to get up to your boil volume. Six gallons is probably a good place to start, until you know your boil off %.

Then add your DME.

If you're doing a full boil, the hopping would be the same!

Yah ill be doing deathbrewers method. I did an AHS partial mash kit and I believe it had only 2.5lbs to $ash but there was plenty of room in my 24"X24" grain bag. That should be suffice for 6lbs right yooper? Thanks for the input donner. Sorry I'm not more specific. I really don't know my full capabilities as far as how much I can mash in my pot while. I definitely want to do a full boil and mash as much as I can. I think yoopers conversion is just what I was looking for. Thanks again

I assume you're doing a full boil, then, with the turkey fryer. I don't know how much grain you'll be able to mash (I don't know the size of your grain bag) but I'll guestimate 6 pounds.

3 pounds DME

1 pound Vienna
1 pound Crystal 10
4 pounds MO

I'd suggest 1.25 quarts of water per pound of grain- so you'd mash with 7.5 quarts of water and 152-154 is a good temperature. Sparge with up to 3 gallons of water, and top up the brewpot after the sparge with plain water to get up to your boil volume. Six gallons is probably a good place to start, until you know your boil off %.

Then add your DME.

If you're doing a full boil, the hopping would be the same!

My grain bag is 24x24. And what kinda DME should I use to closest resemble the original recipe? Thanks yoop!

My grain bag is 24x24. And what kinda DME should I use to closest resemble the original recipe? Thanks yoop!

Light DME is fine. Maris otter is a British 2-row malt, with a bit more flavor than American 2-row but if you do the PM, all you need is light DME for the extract.

Latest posts

Back