Another Rye IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

senfo

Reaction score
I'm thinking about brewing this recipe this weekend. It's my first attempt at a custom recipe, so please feel free to critique away.

Batch Size - 5 Gallons

9 lb Pale 2-Row - 57.1%
4 lb Rye - 25.4%
0.75 lb Caramel / Crystal 60L- 4.8%
1 lb Flaked Rye - 6.3%
0.5 lb Vienna - 3.2%
0.5 lb Rice Hulls - 3.2%
15.75 lb Total

1 oz Chinook @ 60 min
0.5 oz Willamette @ 15 min
1 oz Chinook @ 2 min
0.5 oz Willamette @ 2 min
2 oz Falconer's Flight (dry hop after transferring to secondary)

FG: 1.022 ABV: 7.51% IBU: 50.26

I'm thinking I'll use some California Ale V Yeast WLP051 and put together a nice starter since I'm expecting OG to be around 1.079 if I reach 70% efficiency.

Thoughts?

UPDATE: I made a last minute update before posting (added 1 lb of rye because I really love the taste) and I think I should have probably dropped the amount 2-row proportionally.

Overall, I think it looks great. I don't think 8oz of Vienna will be noticeable. If you want a little malty toastiness, switch it to Victory, biscuit, aromatic or dark Munich. Otherwise just use 2-row. The rye will add a lot of mouthfeel, so you may want to cut the c-60 a little or aim for a lower FG via yeast choice or mash temp. I'd add some chinook at 15.

Thank you very much!

I've actually been a little concerned about the c-60, so that's a great idea. I hadn't considered victory, but that sounds like another good choice. Would you keep the same ratio or add a little more victory than I had Vienna? I really like the taste of Vienna, so I was actually considering adding more.

Another thought I had was essentially doubling all of the hops and going for an Imperial-style IPA. I personally believe some good hop character blends very well with rye.

If you really like Vienna, you could just use it instead of 2-row. Briess' Vienna is made from 6-row, so its extra husk matter will help the lautering. 10lbs Vienna plus the rye would give you a gravity around 1.075 and a color leaning very slightly towards the darker end of IPA range.

I don't love Willamette as a flavor--although rye beers with it and C-hops are awesome--so the thought of doubling it is unappealling to me. Chinook's high co-humulone and general piney/grapefruityness can make it a little abrasive, at least when boiled for 15+ minutes. None of this is to say you can't or shouldn't increase your hopping, just giving you an idea of what to expect if you do. You could use a "softer" bittering hop and move all that Chinook to later in the boil.

Back