Advice on a “granola bar ale”

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CheekyMoniker

Reaction score
Hello all. This is my first post here, and I have to say this forum has been SUPER helpful during my first six batches. For the spring, I’d like to get creative and make a pale ale with notes of granola bar. (Please stop me now if this is a ridiculous idea.) I’ve drafted up the following recipe, and I’d appreciate feedback.

3 lb. Light Dry Malt Extract
1 lb. Victory Malt
1 lb. Belgian Biscuit
1 lb. Flaked Oats, toasted
4 oz. Chocolate malt
1 lb. Honey
1 lb. pureed raisins

½ oz. Cascade at 60 min
½ oz. Cascade at 20 min

The calculator at Tastybrew.com said it’ll end up with OG=1.051; FG=1.013; ABV=4.9%; IBU=22. Is the tastybrew.com calculator trustworthy?

ON THE MALT: I read that biscuit malt “must be mashed with malts having a surplus of diastatic power.” If I use the DME, do you think this will lower the gravity that could have been derived from the biscuit malt? Or would that not really matter much, since the calculator only gave it 4 or 5 gravity points? (I only have one all-grain batch under my belt, and I feel more comfortable with a partial.)

ON THE HOPS: I want the malt to shine in this beer, not so much the hops. The aim for the hops is to get a moderate bitterness, with modest flavor and even less aroma (hence the lack of aroma timing on the hop). Any thoughts on this? Could anyone suggest a better hop for a toasty, nutty beer such as this?

Thanks!

Belgian Bisquit, Victory (to a certain extent), and the oats need to be mashed. your final product will be starchy otherwise. You could conduct a mini mash with some 2-row and make it work. Keep in mind that anything other than crystal malt really should be mashed. Small amounts of the darker roasted malts will do okay though.

I would add 8oz honey malt for more honey flavor as the real honey will ferment out. Maybe 2lbs 2-row and only use 2.5lbs DME? Willamette and Northern Brewer are hops I have used in beers where I don't really want a lot of hop character such as Porters and Stouts. Cascades have a more prominent citrus flavor. I think this will be good...

mm. I like the woody/earthy descriptions of Northern Brewer. That's what I'm going for in this beer. Thanks, strambo. I'll also cut back a bit on the bee's honey and sub in the honey malt. I appreciate all the feedback.

Back