Off flavors from plastic stirring spoon?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maltMonkey

Reaction score
I have a spoon like this one that I've always used during the boil. I keep it inside the boil kettle the entire time to sanitize it. Lately I've noticed that the spoon is getting a bit worn, and the plastic is starting to flake a little, and has some thin, ragged plastic "layers".

I didn't really think too much about it until I tasted a batch of Kolsch I made about 4 months ago. It has a distinct nasty rubber/plastic taste to it. It's not so horribly overpowering that it is completely undrinkable, but it is not pleasant.

I've gone back through my notes to try to figure out what the deal is, and I've narrowed it down to 2 or 3 things: I WAY overpitched on this batch (entire yeast cake from a wheat which turned out fine). It also sat on the overpitched cake for a little over a month in primary. I remember the plastic/rubber taste when I took a sample before going to secondary. I know everyone thinks autolysis is a complete myth, but the variables to support it existed, and it does have a bad rubber taste to it. From what I have read however, autolysis should smell truly horrible which was never the case with this batch, so I have to assume that it was something else.

The only other thing I can think of is that some of the plastic flaked off the spoon and melted into the boil.....which if that is the case then I don't understand why they sell these as heat-resistant, boil proof spoons. Every HBS sells these, and it's hard to find a SS spoon with as long of a handle.

I have never had this problem with any of my other beers. I made a Kolsch before that turned out OK and did not have this problem, but that was back when the spoon was in better condition. I'm thinking that maybe the problem is in more beers, but stands out in the Kolsch because it's so light.....dunno.

I'm throwing out the spoon and using stainless steel from now on, just wondering if anyone had any experience or advice with this situation.

It's extremely doubtful that part of the spoon melted into the boil, and even if it had it would have sedimented out once it un-melted. I don't think plastic is water-soluble.

I think the overpitching/yeast nastiness is much more likely.

I know the spoon I have is imprinted with "(Max 220C/425F)". Cheap Ikea one... No problems/worries.

Back