Kegerator Build Questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KellyL

Reaction score
I posted in the Show Us Your Kegerator thread but it probably wasnt the proper place to ask the questions, so here they are:

-Can I put the Co2 tank in the freezer of an upright fridge?
-Can a Co2 manifold be made out of brass pipe/fittings with check valves?
-Should I remove the door panel and replace it with masonite/plexiglass?

I tried the search but "tank in freezer" gives me TONS of results.

Thanks in advance.

1. You should be able to keep the CO2 in the freezer, but you will want to make sure that it remains upright; otherwise you will need a tank with a siphon in it so you aren't pulling liquid CO2. Beware/careful of condensation buildup on your gauges, as well as rust on your tank (especially if it is steel).

2. If you are dealing with low pressure, after your regulator, go for it! I can't say I've seen any home made manifolds, but it certainly is doable. I would strongly suggest the check valves as stated, as well as on/offs for your connections. MAKE SURE YOU CHECK IT FOR LEAKS! Many of us use soapy water or starsan solution to check for leaks- turn on your CO2 spray it down and check for bubbles. Would suck to come home to an empty tank.

3. Unless you have a need to replace the door, I wouldn't bother. The door has more insulation then masonite/plexiglass.

Hope this helps! :mug:

I cut the shelves off the door in my kegerator fridge in order to fit six kegs inside.

Problem is, the door sagged. I used a piece of plexiglass that was lying around to reinforce the inside and hold the door square. All of the original insulation is still in the door.

Ugly, but functional.

I've seen a few kegerators where the builder has removed the inner door panel and replaced with a piece of plastic sheet from the Home Depot type store. Gets the shelves out of the way and works well.

Probably have to remove the seal first to get to the screws. Should be pretty easy.

I've seen a few kegerators where the builder has removed the inner door panel and replaced with a piece of plastic sheet from the Home Depot type store. Gets the shelves out of the way and works well.

Probably have to remove the seal first to get to the screws. Should be pretty easy.

+1- Typically the screws are behind the seal, just fold it back to find them all. Be careful and lay out where you got them from! A lot of the times they are different sizes. It's handy to put a dry erase or chalkboard in place of the door panel so you can make notes on your brews :)

I think it'll look cleaner on the inside if I get rid of the shelves. It will give me more room and allow the shanks to mount cleanly. I dont like them there because they'll limit where I can put the shanks.

I was planning on drilling the door this weekend and brewing this week after work. Now I'm told I have to leave for NJ this weekend for a two week class.

Thanks for the advice. I'll put it to use once I return.

That's what we're here for! Post pictures in the show us your kegerator thread when you're done. Hope you have a safe and 'informational' trip!

Back