I let my barrel dry out - looking for others that have had the same thing happen

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

usfmikeb

Reaction score
I bought a barrel last year with the intention of using it to barrel age a porter, and then some barleywine, but never got around to using it. When I received it, it was still wet from the liquor that aged in it, and I rinsed it out and put some Jack into it. For several weeks, I would roll it to keep all the sides wet. Then, I forgot about it.

It is completely dry, no liquid left inside. I haven't opened it to see if there's anything growing in it, as I don't want to introduce any potential critters if they aren't already there.

I've already looked around at what my options are for treating this and using it, but wanted to see if there were posters here who had actually done this before. If you've had a barrel dry out, and have brought it back to life, please share how you did it.

Thanks.

I have no hands on experience, but understand that if you have bugs sanitizing with your standard 70-80 proof liquor won't cut it.

First and foremost get that thing swelled up again with some water. I would go with boiling water. I personally don't like using chemicals with wood, wood absorbs so much stuff.

First and foremost get that thing swelled up again with some water. I would go with boiling water. I personally don't like using chemicals with wood, wood absorbs so much stuff.

Have you had to do this before?

I was thinking the same thing on chemicals, although I'm hearing that citric acid will help treat the barrel, and can be easily rinsed out without leaving chemicals behind.

you;ll be able to smell if anything has grown in it. you can stick it a tub of water to help re-swell it, or just cycle in some water for a few days til it stops leaking. dont use star-san, its not recommended for use with wood. if you have to, use sulfur sticks or a solution of citric + sulfite or if its real bad, sodium carbontate & then a citric acid rinse. *the latter two will remove some oak flavor

Every barrel owner should have this document.

http://www.morewinemaking.com/public/pdf/wobcg.pdf

+1 on this. Especially this part:
Fill the barrel 2/3’s full of cool water.
• Then, calculate the amount of chemicals needed: For every liter of barrel volume, you will need to add 1 gram of citric acid and 2 grams of SO2. Mix this solution in a separate container with a small quantity of hot water so that everything becomes completely dissolved into the liquid. *Beware of the fumes and work in a well ventilated area.
• Add the solution to the barrel, roll the barrel to mix, and top it up the rest of the way and insert the bung.
You will need to top up the barrel with more of the holding solution every 4 - 6 weeks, but the barrel can be stored like this indefinitely.

I work at a winery in Napa and this is what we do and this also what I do with my barrel. A solution of 1gram Citric Acid and 2grams SO2 is about the only thing that should go in a barrel. There are a few other things but not for storage. The barrel isn't ruined but longer you wait to fill it back up the worse it gets.

look for sodium or potassium metabisulfite (or campden tabs) at your LHBS. when you mix it with water it releases SO2

dcp27 said:
look for sodium or potassium metabisulfite (or campden tabs) at your LHBS. when you mix it with water it releases SO2

Yeah you can look at you lhbs and they should have it. If not im sure you can find it online.

You bought a liquor barrel for the purposes of imparting that liquor flavor on the beer. For this reason, do NOT soak water inside it.....you will lose the flavor you paid for.

Also, no reason to sanitize the barrel. Liquor is stored in the barrel at a high proof (even if it is to later be cut for bottling). The high alcohol proof will have prevented any critters from considering it a good home.

Here is what I would do. Bung the top of the barrel and fill up a bath tub. Set the barrel in the bath so it is floating. Rotate the barrel for 5 minutes and then pull it out. Wait until it appears dry and repeat. By doing this, you will essentially be swelling the barrel from the outside, preserving the precious interior. Don't soak it too long initially as if there are any stave joints not sealed, it would allow too much water to enter the barrel. (if you hear water inside, you've soaked it too long). Repeat this until you feel it is good an swollen.

Again, allow it to sit until it appears dry, and then pour a bottle of the same liquor the barrel was into the barrel. When you bought the barrel, they leave liquor in there to keep it hydrated, so you are just replacing what evaporated. Bung the barrel and rotate it again. You are looking to see if any seeps through to the outside. If none does, pour out the liquor (back into the bottle it came from). If you did notice a leak, repeat the bath step.

Do this all the day you are ready to fill the barrel with your beer. Once you are ready to fill the barrel, fill it with 1 gallon first and rotate it slowly making sure there are no leaks, then fill the remaining. It is fine for fine weeps to occur briefly, these will disappear (usually in a matter of minutes), you just don't want to have large leaks. When the barrel is full, you can lose a lot of beer waiting for a leaky stave to swell, thats why i'd say do these stages.

Back