DYI Mash Lauder Tun

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Xiren

Reaction score
My cooler has a spigot hole that is 13/16 " deep and wide. I went to Northernbrewer.com, but the bulkhead parts they have are too big or too small. What am I to do? I have not gone to my Menard's yet, because I want to know what I need before I get there. I have a stainless wire mesh to use.

I'm not familiar with the pre-assembled bulkheads but it probably employs a brass or stainless nipple that you could replace with an appropriately sized one. Someone who has actual experience with those can probably tell you, I built my own so I'm not positive about the construction.

Did the original spigot have a seal around it? If so, you might be able to use it.

I modified a couple of 10 gal Rubbermaid coolers, and the original seal was a perfect fit for a 3/8 pipe nipple and ball valve. See my signature for details.

If that doesn't work, I would suspect that bulkheads designed for 3/4 spigot holes would still work fine. You just might have to seek out some slightly thicker o-rings, but I suspect not.

If you are worried about brass leaching lead into your wort, you can 'pickle' it first (soak it in vinegar to remove the lead). Other than that, it is fine.

Xiren said:
FlyGuy- I thought brass was bad to use or am I thinking of some other metal?

u might be thinking of galvanized stuff or zinc coated steel. neither is something you want your wort in contact with for very long at all.

"Cleaning Brass
Some brewers use brass fittings in conjunction with their wort chillers or other brewing equipment and are concerned about the lead that is present in brass alloys. A solution of two parts white vinegar to one part hydrogen peroxide (common 3% solution) will remove tarnish and surface lead from brass parts when they are soaked for 5-10 minutes at room temperature. The brass will turn a buttery yellow color as it is cleaned. If the solution starts to turn green and the brass darkens, then the parts have been soaking too long and the copper in the brass is beginning to dissolve, exposing more lead. The solution has become contaminated and the part should be re-cleaned in a fresh solution."

This is John Palmer's recommended pickling solution. I use this, not straight vinegar, since he's a metallurgist by training and trade.

Back