CO2 Charger - Safe using another companies cartridge?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

argyle

Reaction score
I bought a Genuine Innovations CO2 charger. The company warns against using another company's replacement CO2 cartridges. I realize this is most likely a way to generate profit for the company. Still, I am a bit hesitant to use another companies cartridge in my charger.

If you own this charger, have you used CO2 cartridges made by another company? If so, what was the outcome? Was it safe? Did it damage you or your charger?

Also, I am interested in using a Nitrogen cartridge to push a stout. Have you done this? Would it work?

I think the key here is to get cartridges that are "food grade." I believe cartridges used for pellet guns and whatnot have oil in them...

Yeah... I thought of the same thing. I definitely don't want that in my beer. :cross:

I've bought threadless CO2 cartridges off ebay with no ill effects or funky taste. Was not aware of CO2 for airguns being anything but CO2. That may be true.

I bought a box of 16 gram co2 cartridges off ebay where the description said food grade. However, the box is just generic and doesn't offer any more information besides threaded vs. unthreaded (with unthreaded checked).

The genuine innovations cartridges are silver while these are gold. I hope I didn't get crap cartridges.

50 - 16 gram Unthreaded CO2 & Innovations compatible | eBay

Back