Zombie Dust or just schmutz?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DavidWood2115

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have brewed a decent Zombie Dust clone several times, but this week I picked up a six-pack of the real thing to compliment my current taps (a Belgian Wit and a CTZ/Chinook/Citra West Coast IPA). My recollection (and supported by photos on UnTappd) is that Zombie Dust has at most a slight bit of haze. But to my surprise, this beer had major chunks of some kind of schmutz floating in it. Perhaps that is the real "Zombie Dust", but it was very unappealing....

For what it's worth, the taste and aroma seemed unaffected. But the mouthfeel? Yeech!
ZombieDust-fresh-pour.jpg
ZombieDust-10minutes.jpg

But seriously, any ideas what is wrong with this beer? Is this just suspended yeast? Some polyphenol something-or-other? I saw something similar with a batch of Sierra Nevada's Hazy Little Thing last fall, so I'm guessing it is some sort of process failure.

Pictures are of a fresh pour and 10 minutes later.

Yes it looks like some trub or yeast carried over into the packaging unfortunately. I just had a ZD on tap at a bar last weekend and it was only slight haze and a little darker than your pics, no sediment.

Yes it looks like some trub or yeast carried over into the packaging unfortunately. I just had a ZD on tap at a bar last weekend and it was only slight haze and a little darker than your pics, no sediment.

It happens a lot unfortunately. When I get these, they're instant dumpers. I can't stand to look at it and I don't want to drink it. That is definitely weird for Zombie Dust. I'm not crazy about it so I don't drink it a lot, but last I remember, it was fairly clear and no chunks. Not sure how the bottling setup works on a commercial setting. However, when I do it, I bottle right from the unitank. Assuming they do the same, perhaps it was some of the last beer from the bottom of the tank?

But seriously, any ideas what is wrong with this beer?

Is there a date on the package?

I have been seeing Zombie Dust on tap and in stores lately here in Virginia. I wonder if they stepped up their production lately. I have no idea why they call it a Pale Ale. I have had it a few times lately. It seems like a decent beer but maybe a bit outdated and nothing that really stands out from the crowd of Citra IPAs.

Is there a date on the package?

I have been seeing Zombie Dust on tap and in stores lately here in Virginia. I wonder if they stepped up their production lately. I have no idea why they call it a Pale Ale. I have had it a few times lately. It seems like a decent beer but maybe a bit outdated and nothing that really stands out from the crowd of Citra IPAs.
I’m with ya. People obsess over it and frankly there are a ton of better beers out there.

I dunno, I had a can of Heady Topper that poured like that once. Flake City.
I laughed and had an "Ah HAH!" moment when I remembered they advise drinking straight from the can.
Right then I figured I knew why :D

Cheers!

Every once in a while I've poured a beer and had chunks like that. This past weekend I made a discovery. I took a six pack of Enjoy By 7.4.21 camping with me, and the 3 cans I drank poured clear and tasted delicious. Then I came home and forgot that I still had 3 cans in my car. After a few hot days I found them, and not being one to waste beer I put them in the fridge to see if they could be salvaged. All 3 looked like that when I poured them.

Back