Zombie dust Maris otter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blacklabbrewer

Reaction score
Hey all. I'm trying to do a zombie dust clone using the NB recipe, but I want to use Maris otter as my base grain.

The original recipe calls for
5 gal
OG 1.060
10.5 lbs 2-row
1.5 lbs Munich
.5 lb carapils
.5 med crystal
.5 oz Citra FWH
1 oz Citra 20 min
1 oz Citra 10 min
1 oz Citra 5 min
1.5 oz Citra flameout
3 oz Citra dry hop
WLP002 English ale yeast

So I want to use Maris otter because I have a 55 lb bag of it in the basement. The last couple pale ales I've made with 2-row and crystal were kinda weak. I want some more malt complexity but I'm concerned about overpowering the hops (even though 8 ounces in a 5 gallon batch should do just fine). I also switched the yeast to WLP007 dry English ale. Any suggestions on specialty grain that would work? Would adding crystal, Munich, and carapils like the original suggests with Maris otter just be too sweet?

Thanks!

I'd do a test batch with 50% to see if I like it...
Then adjust...
Worst case scenario... you have another recipe an 5 more gallons of homebrew

I would swap it straight out but maybe get rid of the crystal and Munich. I've done a mo/centennial SMASH and it was perfect alone.

Yeah, I might leave the CaraPils in, and that's it. Depends on how high you're mashing, and how flavorful/fresh your MO is.

Thanks, MO is Crisp Gleneagle, pretty fresh. Another question. When I put 100% MO into beersmith it gave me an SRM of 5.7, which was pretty light. I like the idea of a SMASH, so I can dial in MO and Citra, but is there any way to darken the color a bit without changing the flavor?

You can steep some darker grains for color at around 160-170F as you mash out for color. Just like extract brewing...

I would personally just replace the 2-row and munich Amounts with the MO. I've never gotten crystal like flavor from a base malt.

If you're using marris otter, it's no longer a clone. Lol! I get that you want to use what you have though. I'd also cut out the crystal.

That NB recipe isn't correct either. There is melanoidin malt. The Munich seems a bit high too.

Check the recipes on this site for ZD. There is a very good one...

Back