Zero Gravity IPA help needed

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HoppyHoppyJoyJoy

Reaction score
My AG IPA tested 1.010 OG.

Crap.

Of course I didn't realize this until AFTER I'd pitched it. It promptly blew itself out after 12 hrs.

When I emptied my mash tun, I discovered that my LBHS milled the adjunct, but not the base grain, which explains the low gravity. (note to self, check the grain more carefully next time)

So the question is this: Can I rack off the brew, leaving the slurry behind, and reboil with 5lbs or so, of DME and then re-pitch?

Anyone ever tried this?

Hoppy

You didn't check your preboil gravity? The problem with reboiling is that you'd drive off all the hop flavor and aromatics so the only thing you'd be saving is the bittering hops and specialty grain flavor.

You didn't check your preboil gravity? The problem with reboiling is that you'd drive off all the hop flavor and aromatics so the only thing you'd be saving is the bittering hops and specialty grain flavor.

No. I was having one of those days where the phone rings too many times.

I figured I'd have to rehop for aroma, I was just wondering if it would be worth the trouble, or if I should just start over.

Hoppy

You could try what I just did, and boil some DME in the least amount of water you can get away with, cool and add to the fermenter. I was able to get 1lb DME in to 3 cups of water. watch out it will boil over very easy with that much sugar. If you got 3lbs into the beer that would be like adding ~26 gravity points to a 5 gallon batch, I think.. That's drinkable beer.

You could try what I just did, and boil some DME in the least amount of water you can get away with, cool and add to the fermenter. I was able to get 1lb DME in to 3 cups of water. watch out it will boil over very easy with that much sugar. If you got 3lbs into the beer that would be like adding ~26 gravity points to a 5 gallon batch, I think.. That's drinkable beer.

Thanks! I just got done doing just that.

I had 2lbs of light and 2lbs of dark DME laying around, and I was able to dissovle it all in 12 cups of water without scorching my pot, (well, almost..)

I also added 3oz. of Malto Dextrine to help with body, and shook the living B'Jesus of out the carboy.

We'll see......

Personally I'd scrap it and start over. Maybe take your stinking rotting mash to your LHBS and tell them to crush what they forgot or replace it!

Personally I'd scrap it and start over. Maybe take your stinking rotting mash to your LHBS and tell them to crush what they forgot or replace it!

The goats already ate it.

At least somebody (er, thing) will get a buzz off this stuff.

My LHBS guys are usually pretty good, but the guy on duty that day is a stoner, so....I smell a discount coming.

Ask to grind the grain yourself. I always have at my LHBS. Don't they trust their customers?

How does the beer taste?? If its OK, you could brew a high gravity, high hop beer next, ferment it out and blend it with the low grav beer. Or just toss it.

Ask to grind the grain yourself. I always have at my LHBS. Don't they trust their customers?

I think it's more a matter of service than trust, since they charge me for milling.

How does the beer taste??

Like really hoppy water.

Anyway, the brew is already bubbling after only 5 and a half hours, so bdavanza must know what's he talking about. :tank:

I'm doing the same thing, form my batch that got 35% efficiency, hey the beer can't be that bad, right? I'd never throw out all that work if it can still be drinkable. You never know, it may be one of your favorite batches. I would think your utilization on the hops would be high considering the lo gravity of the wort.
-Ben

The goats already ate it.

At least somebody (er, thing) will get a buzz off this stuff.

My LHBS guys are usually pretty good, but the guy on duty that day is a stoner, so....I smell a discount coming.

not to be an ass but don't you share the culpability here by not looking at the grain before putting it in the mash tun? Sure, they made a mistake and didn't grind it up but you *ruined* the grain by mashing it for 60 minutes vs. noticing it and having them fix the issue. They didn't ruin the grain, you did.

really not trying to be an ass to you, but sometimes we need to take responsibility to...

not to be an ass but don't you share the culpability here by not looking at the grain before putting it in the mash tun? Sure, they made a mistake and didn't grind it up but you *ruined* the grain by mashing it for 60 minutes vs. noticing it and having them fix the issue. They didn't ruin the grain, you did.

really not trying to be an ass to you, but sometimes we need to take responsibility to...

Yes, I believe I implied that in my first post (see note to self).

On the other hand, I paid them to mill it, and I've spend enough cash at that store to put a blind man though driving school, so I don't think asking them to cut me some slack on my next grain bill is unreasonable.

Back