Zero Fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chuckrox8

Reaction score
I'm pretty bummed about my latest brew. I brewed a Stella clone last Sunday, my 3rd extract brew, and have seen absolutely no signs of fermentation. I was patient this week thinking that it could take up to 72 hours to start but no go. The yeast I used was White Labs Czech Budejovice Lager WLP802.

- I was thorough in my sanitation and cleaned all my equipment properly
- The temperature environment for my primary is stable ~60F
- I chilled my wort quickly in 20 minutes to 80F before I pitched my yeast
- The yeast was at room temp when pitched and was mixed and aerated well into my primary
- My primary was air tight and sealed well

So seeing no activity in my primary I took my airlock off to peek in. I saw no krausen, foam, etc... caked on the walls of the bucket which wasn't a good sign. The original SG was about 1.050 and I just took another measurement and got the same result. When I pulled out my hydrometer malted syrup ran off of it. So basically the yeast didn't consume any of my brew and has 0 alcohol in it.

Is it possible that there was just something wrong with my yeast? I had kept it refrigerated until the day I used it. I think I may get another vial of the yeast and re-pitch it?

Thanks for reading my rant and I appreciate any help.

chuckrox8,
If you are seeing no signs of fermentation, from what you described I would say that the yeast was dead. I would immediately pitch a large amount of fresh, viable yeast. A couple of vials if you're not making a starter. Also, pitching your yeast at 80f. is on the warm side for an ale not to mention a lager. Good luck and keep us posted.
mark
Beer Diary...

Lagers really need a big yeast starter, and it makes a big difference. Pitching an ale at 80 degrees isn't a good idea, but doing it with a lager yeast is really not a good practice. That's not what killed the yeast, though.

check out mr malty's yeast pitching rate calculator to help you decide how much yeast to pitch into your lager: Mr Malty Pitching Rate Calculator

If it's not infected, that's a good sign! So get the proper amount of yeast in there ASAP.

I should probably add that I had chilled the wort to 80F but upon the addition of cool water to bring the total brew amount to 5 1/4 gallons making the mixture's temp ~70F. Probably a little warm for a lager still.

About the only thing left to do is to pitch new yeast.
Did you notice the expiration date on the vial?
It's hard to guess what might have happened during shipping, both high and low temperatures can kill the yeast.
Also, the culture degrades over time, and there wasn't really enough yeast to begin with.
Both WhiteLabs and Wyeast call them 'pitchable', but the consensus is that a starter is required for all liquid yeasts.
Use a starter to increase the cell count to the proper level.
And activity in the starter "proves" that the yeast culture is viable.

I would rehydrate and pitch a dry yeast.
It won't be to style, but it will be beer.
It might turn out to be infected after such a long delay.

Yeah, I think the expiration was in March. Not sure though but it wasn't close to expiring.

Still no go on this batch. Added two more vials of White Labs Czech Lager yesterday evening and haven't seen any signs of fermentation in ~24 hours. The yeast was pitched around room temp with the primary ~62-64F. What the hell happened?

Still right around 1.050. I'll give it a few more days and then it might be time to dump her.

I always pitch at the expected fermentation temperature. Usually between 68F and 72F. I am sure everything will be fine if you pitch again.

She's finally fermenting!!! Awesome! I have no idea how this batch is going to taste but it'll be beer. (I hope)

chuckrox8,
glad to hear you got it going. Since your dealing with lager yeast, give it a couple weeks to ferment at low temps. Good luck
mark
Beer Diary...

Back