Zero carbonation after 3 weeks?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

moose5180

Reaction score
I brewed an extract porter, primary for a week, secondary for a little over two weeks. Bottled 3 weeks ago been in a dark place at about 72 degrees. Chilled and cracked one tonight and little to nothing as far as carbonation. There was a slight pffft when i opened and thought that was a good sign, poured a pint and nada. Thoughts? Thanks!

Yes priming sugar that came with the kit. 4oz to 5 gallons per the directions

The porter has a great flavor i hope its just taking its time

The porter has a great flavor i hope its just taking its time

That's good news

I recommend moving your bottles from a dark place at 72F to a warmer place in the 80F+ Mainly as cooling bottles after bottling slows down the conditioning process, perhaps 72F may be to cool

If you heard the 'pfffft' sound on opening that means something is happening, just slowly

I have a nut brown that has been in the bottle for 6 weeks now. The last 3 weeks I've chilled one and tried it the same day. Same results. Minor "pffft" upon opening it, but hardly any carbonation. Any bubbles that did form from an aggressive pour was gone in no time. Today I tried one that had been in the fridge since Friday, and I'll be if it wasn't carbed nearly perfectly. This hasn't happened to me in the past. Could've just be this bottle was carbed better, but I'd try leaving one in the fridge overnight at least and see if it helps.

That's good news

I recommend moving your bottles from a dark place at 72F to a warmer place in the 80F+ Mainly as cooling bottles after bottling slows down the conditioning process, perhaps 72F may be to cool

If you heard the 'pfffft' sound on opening that means something is happening, just slowly

Will do! Thanks for the advice

45mins in the freezer. Didn't think that would make a difference?

When I bottled same thing would happen to me, anything I crashed and drank that night would 'PFFT' but be flat. If I crashed and then gave a night in the fridge it would be better, and after two nights better yet.

Cool! I think i will try the longer chill time first i guess i never thought that would have an effect. Thanks guys

Physics to a degree. CO2 more soluble in cold liquids, but still have to deal with difference in pressures for the CO2 in the headspace to be forced into solution. Liquid doesn't cool that quickly simply by being surrounded by cooler air, and the lower the difference in pressure the slower CO2 forced into solution. 3 days should give less of a pffft and more carbonation

Good advice fellas. I put one above the fridge in a cabinet (warmer) then to the fridge for a couple days. Did a fairly aggressive pour and had some good carb! Still needs a bit more but much better, loving this brew!

IMG_1875.jpg

Looks Tasty!

Re-reading I see the things I missed-porter, 4 oz sugar-a style you generally (at least me) don't want that carbonic bite + sugar for ~2.4 vol. Give the rest of the batch a week someplace a bit warmer and a couple days in the fridge before drinking and I bet your golden.

I gotta think the extra fridge time helped this a bunch. Last thing i would have ever thought. I was just throwing it in the freezer for an hour before to test one.

Actually 20 mins in the freezer is all I do when testing the carb on new beer. I wonder if 45 minutes cooled it down too far? Which would make it seem flat.

Back