z-wave/ smartthings

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

parkerhd36

Reaction score
So, I dont know if this forum or the electric forum would be the most appropriate, but Ive been looking at sme of the z-wave products, specifically those offered through smartthings (though there are a vast amount of z-wave capable products from many manufacturers), and was wondering if anyone has integrated any of this technology into their brewery/system/fermentation.
z-wave.com
smartthings.com

Several years ago I used some UPB/Pulseworx (Universal Powerline Bus) modules and a remote keypad for turning my pumps & burners on and off. I was getting ready to build a full-on automated system using the BCS, but I wanted to setup some quick and dirty control without having to wire anything up (all plug in modules). I really only did it because I had spare modules sitting in the drawer.

I doubt you could buy all the necessary plug in modules and temperature sensors for less than a full BCS. If you could buy the components cheap enough, what are you going to use for the actual brewing logic controller? Fermentation might be easy enough for some zwave pieces, but I can't see it for an automated brewing system.

Back