Yuk

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bajarob

Reaction score
This is my 6th brew. All successful but this one. Full boil Sweet Stout. The color is black. Solid black. This is the first time I made no stupid mistakes. It tastes kind of burnt. I'm not a big stout fan to begin with but I like a sweet beer and I wanted to brew a dark beer. My question is "did I burn it". I was real careful every step and honestly had no problems but I do boil as high as it allows me. The only other thing was that the fermentation was unnoticeable. Never saw any bubbles but I did have an inch of muck and lost about an inch when I racked so I figured I was good. Didn't use a hydrometer. Hate to have to toss it. SWIMBO would have a field day.

Maybe you used too much roasted grain or black patent malt? That can get pretty roasty to me. I raise the heat on my electric stove to "HI" till a minute or two past the hot break. Then dial it down to "8.8" or so to turn down the blooping lava boil to a gently rolling one. Works for me...:mug:

What stage are you at? Sounds like you just bottled, just let it ride. Maybe it won't be your best, but it may surprise you.

Anyway, next time try a porter for something dark and sweet-ish.

Cheers,

What were your ingredients? Need to tell us so we know how much roasted or black patent malt was used. Usually you'd match that quantity with the same of lactose (milk sugar). Like 10% of each in the malt bill. I'd also suggest you would track your O.G. and F.G. with a hydrometer. It's not hard to do and it will help to make sure you are really making a beer to style and one you can reliably repeat. I guess to each their own though. Don't dump it. Let it age so the flavors meld. I assume it's at a stage where it's done and bottled?

You have moved this one to a secondary or have you bottled it? I certainly would not put this one I bottles without SG readings.
Your wife would have some comments if you dumped it? Think about the comments she would have if bottles exploded. More than comments if someone was injured.

I made a Belgian dark strong ale that was completely undrinkable at bottling 4 months ago. After a month it was drinkable and keeps getting better each week. Give it some time!

What were your ingredients? Need to tell us so we know how much roasted or black patent malt was used. Usually you'd match that quantity with the same of lactose (milk sugar). Like 10% of each in the malt bill. I'd also suggest you would track your O.G. and F.G. with a hydrometer. It's not hard to do and it will help to make sure you are really making a beer to style and one you can reliably repeat. I guess to each their own though. Don't dump it. Let it age so the flavors meld. I assume it's at a stage where it's done and bottled?

By all means, let it age. A stout will taste a little roastier/toastier/smokier than a porter, and not particularly sweet/malty. You may be totally on track with this recipe/style, but may not be accustomed to its roastiness. My first stout almost "offended" me with its "burnt" quality, but after a few months, it has mellowed (or my tastebuds have) and is one of my go-to's when I have a hankering for something more complex. Try it in a couple months and see what you think. Pair it with a rich, tasty pie/cake/pastry dessert and you'll be glad you didn't dump it. Cheers!:mug:

Another vote for letting it age. I let my stouts sit for 2+ months. Darker beers just take longer to mellow out and let the flavors meld and blend.

As far as it being super black ...
tumblr_lxlk6mRfQW1qj4b9to2_250.gif

Thanks guys. It was 6lb Ultra Light Malt Extract
1lb Lactose
1lb Black Patent
12 oz Crystal 75L
2 oz Cascade
I racked 3 weeks ago. Man, you should see how black it is. It's not terrible and it doesn't taste foul or anything just really too roasty or something. I started brewing just so I can have a great hefe. Maybe it's me. I don't care for IPAs either so figure that in.
I'll take your suggestion and let it hang a while. If it blows up though my wife will use this event until long after I'm dead.

Thanks guys. It was 6lb Ultra Light Malt Extract
1lb Lactose
1lb Black Patent
12 oz Crystal 75L
2 oz Cascade
I racked 3 weeks ago. Man, you should see how black it is. It's not terrible and it doesn't taste foul or anything just really too roasty or something. I started brewing just so I can have a great hefe. Maybe it's me. I don't care for IPAs either so figure that in.
I'll take your suggestion and let it hang a while. If it blows up though my wife will use this event until long after I'm dead.

A pound of black patent? Well, that would explain a strong acrid taste (more intense than simply "roasty), almost ashy. That will mellow, but I wouldn't care for that either.

Yup, 1# of black patent is a lot. Where did you get that recipe?

First, let it age 3-12 months in the carboy. Keep that airlock filled, and let it be in a dark cool place.
Then you can brew another batch without the Black patent and blend the 2 together.

Or even better, brew an IPA (or Pale Ale) and blend the two, 2 to 3 parts IPA to 1 part stout.
Black & Tan!

Give 'er some time. I have come to appreciate that Bell's uses a lot of black patent in some of their best dark beers, like Expedition Stout, so this might mellow into something pretty tasty in 6-8 weeks or so. If it's still too much, you can always make black and tans or snakebites with it and cut the roastiness that way.

Back