Yuengling distributes in Ohio

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have only had the traditional lager and I do not care for it. Half of the times I had it, it was skunked. From just tasting the lager, I never knew what all the fuss was about the beer. My only thoughts on why is has such a following, is because you can not get in most places and that it is the oldest brewery in America.

Yep and Full Pint. Voodoo in Meadville also makes some really awesome beer. East Ends Pale Ale was so good this year that its already gone and its the summer ale there. I have to think there must be more fermenting tho.

Meadville has a micro brewery now? We used to go shopping there when we lived in PA. How times change! I wonder how good it is? Too bad about Duquesne,used to be good beer when I was young. It was one of the beers me & pop used to drink. Along with Carling Black Label,POC,etc.

ive been trying to come up with a good reason to make the trip down. Would any of you detroit area guys be interested in taking a trip to Wright-Patterson AFB.

I can get on base as im a veteran. they Class-six usually has a good selection of alcohol. the commissary and PX are just like a grocery store and wal-mart but there is no taxes on anything.

best example is a 6.75 pack of cigarettes is just over 4bucks on base. In my car it would take probly 50bucks in gas round trip.
directions linky

I have only had the traditional lager and I do not care for it. Half of the times I had it, it was skunked. From just tasting the lager, I never knew what all the fuss was about the beer. My only thoughts on why is has such a following, is because you can not get in most places and that it is the oldest brewery in America.

Pretty much how I feel although I have had the Black and Tan and I think the Porter as well. I do not get the fuss. No, I wouldnt take a road trip for it or ask someone to pick me some up. I just dont think it is that great.

But of course, everyone has to form that opinion yourself so hopefully others will like it more than us. I bought a 12 pack of the lager at Christmas for family guests there was 6 or so left in my beer fridge until just a month or so ago... I ended up finishing them off b/c I got sick of looking at them.

unionrdr said:
Meadville has a micro brewery now? We used to go shopping there when we lived in PA. How times change! I wonder how good it is? Too bad about Duquesne,used to be good beer when I was young. It was one of the beers me & pop used to drink. Along with Carling Black Label,POC,etc.

All the way from their pilsners to barrel aged imperial stouts Voodoo is the real deal. Seek them out.

Cool. One state closer to Michigan. I grew up in Philly drinking their beers. I'll vouch for their porter, but I'm not sure all people will like it. It's less "roasty" and thick than most are used to, but I like it as an easy drinking dark. Lord Chesterfield is on the sweet/fruity side. The lager is nice, better than macro-rice beers.

Yuengling Lager is my go-to drink from the can beer. Worth getting a case to have around when you just want something to pull out of the fridge, crack open and drink.

Here in SC, the traditional lager and the light lager is basically the same price as BMC anywhere you go. The black & tan is available many places, and you will occasionally see the bock. I do have to say, the one time that I had a Chesterfield Ale and their Porter, I was very impressed, sadly they don't sell it around here. My go to "cooler beer" for quantity consumption days is the light lager. Not my favorite beer, but you can drink them all day and never be disappointed. Cans is by far the way to go, as the green glass typically contains skunked beer, but for the light, they can be difficult to find. Also, I don't allow glass on my boat due to the obvious hazard that it presents, so it is a good fit for on the lake.

FINALLY! I'm in Akron and I have been waiting for this since I was 20! (I'm 46 now) About damn time that beer got here. I have a bad feeling that the major breweries like Bud and Miller are going to get raped here soon!

Im glad for the Ohio folks. We got it about 2 years ago here in WV. I enjoy their traditional lager and their black and tan. Its way better than Bud and around the same price.

I never heard of Yuengling until I moved to PA. Around here it's like a religion or something. Personally I do not get it. I find their lagers to be mediocre at best so I don't understand the fascination with their beers. I would not compare them to a BMC product however I think they are only one step up from them as far as taste.

beerloaf

Thanks to craigbrew and mustangj I am in possesion of a split case of the ale and the traditional lager. I'm really impressed with both. Especially the the lager. Its a heck of a lot more flavorfull than fizzy yellow bmc. Plus it's awesome drinking history.

ForumRunner_20110730_164351.jpg

I've only ever had one of of their lagers, it was very good. Would love if they included Indiana into their distro region.

I like Yuengling's lager but I honestly don't see what the big deal is. People up here in Mass refer to it as if its the best beer ever. One of my buddies is routinely down in PA for work and always comes back with a case or two of it for parties so I get to have it a lot, but I really dont think its as great as some people think it is. It just happens to be different from what we regularly drink so maybe thats where the appeal comes from.

Their premixed black and tan, however, is really good and worth a trip to get. Had that down in North Carolina while on vacation a few years back, I would like to have it again!

Revvy said:
If anyone's coming into Detroit for anything via Ohio, and would bring me a case of something I would be quite happy. I've been wanting to taste their stuff for awhile.

If you are still looking for a case, I am driving from VA to thumb next week...could meet somewhere near Detroit. I am new here but not a flake or scary.

Revvy said:
Lol. Thanks, but look up three posts, it was already taken care of.

:mug:

Yes sorry about that. I scrolled through the thread rather quickly after taking advantage of my local bar's American Micro sale day & sampling the bottle of Blushing Monk I brought home from said bar. Didn't process a lot after page 1.

everyone needs to try their porter. never traded (fed exed beers before) but id love to swap for some fat tire (cannot get here in pa)

For those who are asking "What's the big deal?" - it's NOT a big deal. It's a very decent beer for the money. Chances are, if you are reading this board, you are not going to be incredibly impressed with it. But if you are a Miller/Coors Bud Light drinker, it's a huge step up and a "gateway" beer to better brews.

I have speculated that one reason why craft and micros have taken off so well in Philly and Eastern Pennsylvania in general is that we were all weaned drinking Yeungling, so we grow up understanding that not all beers look and taste like warm urine. To compare it to BMC or PBR is pretty much a sacrilege around here. Sure, it's not Arrogant Bastard or DFH60, but for $15 (cans) or $20 (longnecks), it a damn good beer.

I like that you can walk into any bar in Philly - ANY bar - and if you ask for a lager, you get Yeungling.

I've only had the lager and the black and tan. I personally like the black and tan better than the lager. A friend of mine brings a couple cases back to MI from PA every year. He'll be glad to know he can get it in OH now.

So... the end cap at my local Kroger Marketplace used to be filled with awesome craft beer. Amazing stuff that I couldn't find at most liquor stores.

Now its full of Yuengling light lager...

So... the end cap at my local Kroger Marketplace used to be filled with awesome craft beer. Amazing stuff that I couldn't find at most liquor stores.

Now its full of Yuengling light lager...

So.....I'm confused. Is this Kroger's fault, Yuengling's fault........?

I had a glass in a restaurant in Ashvill N.C. and couldn't get past a few sips of the lager. Man that was some bad stuff. Wonder if the restaurant some how spoiled it as so many people seem to like this brew.

Just an observation I made. If you want to cast blame, I'd say it's all the people who hyped up the new distribution. Its always been that out of reach golden nectar from the state next door who won't give us any. The novelty will wear off when people realize it's nothing special.

I had a glass in a restaurant in Ashvill N.C. and couldn't get past a few sips of the lager. Man that was some bad stuff. Wonder if the restaurant some how spoiled it as so many people seem to like this brew.

People really like Busch light too..

Yuengling Black and Tan is better then the lager I think. There is a brewery right up the street from me.

It's the funniest thing, last summer I found myself in the areas you can get Yuengling yet I kept drinking beers I haven't had yet.

When I was -far- younger than I am now, I remember when Coors was the "forbidden fruit" here in the Midwest. We visited CO back then, and I remember it tasting like ambrosia.......funny thing, didn't drink it much when it finally made it to IL, in the '80s I think. There's always something to the theory that "I want what I can't get."

Nevertheless, if we're on a road trip back east and stop in for a bite somewhere and there's a row of taps (we're not talking craft here!), I'll choose the Yuengling. I'm sure under normal (read: plenty of craft/micro choices) I'd never touch the stuff. Just got a case of Yuengling Porter from a friend who made a trip to Ohio to see relatives. Yes, I'll drink that, and thank you very much.

I can't believe nobody's mentioned the biggest problem with their bottles: They're twistoff. I had about 90 Yuengling bottles saved up for homebrewing before learning you shouldn't recap twist-offs. :(

I can't believe nobody's mentioned the biggest problem with their bottles: They're twistoff. I had about 90 Yuengling bottles saved up for homebrewing before learning you shouldn't recap twist-offs. :(

Well, at least you saved them from the landfill. Check this thread to see if anyone's giving away free bottles in your area.

Their Premium bottles up until a little bit ago were all reusable. I haven't bought Yuengling in a while. When you grow up down the road from them, you drink your fill fairly quickly. Good beer IMO. Their Bock is great as is their Chesterfield Ale if you get it on tap. In the bottle it tends to be a bit skunky. Porter is another winner too. Doesn't have a huge body like the porters we brew or of the Micro Brew world but still a good beer.

Latest posts

Back