Yuengling distributes in Ohio

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

two_hearted

Reaction score
Just sharing some news. I'm sure a lot of fans will be excited. I probably won't rush out and buy a case.

http://www.wcpo.com/dpp/news/yuengling-beer-making-its-way-into-ohio

"Ohioans will no longer have to drive to Pennsylvania to pick up a case of Yuengling. The oldest brewery in the United States will soon be selling beer in Ohio.

Yuengling currently distributes to 14 states and has a cult following for its popular brands that force many people to drive across the border to stock up.

“It’s going to be so exciting,” said Pat Noone, the brewery’s business development manager and the one spearheading the move into the Buckeye State. “The launch in your state is going to be huge. It’s probably going to be the most successful launch in Yuengling’s history.”

But what took Yuengling so long to start distributing to Ohio? Noone said the reason they haven’t been delivering to Ohio is because they haven’t had the beer to service the state.

"Ohio is one of largest states in the country and in terms of beer consumption, and we needed to make sure that when we did come, we were able to service the state properly," Noone said.

The company is now expanding its brewery to handle the move to Ohio. The company is shooting for an October launch. It may be later than that, though, depending on the expansion and time involved setting up a distribution network"

If anyone's coming into Detroit for anything via Ohio, and would bring me a case of something I would be quite happy. I've been wanting to taste their stuff for awhile.

Revvy, my wife is picking me up a case this week and I will be going to my mother-in-laws for the forth of July. Do you want me to get you a case then. Now that you live in the city again it would be easy to get it to you.

I saw this on facebook. Never had yuengling and am not super excited too. My understanding is it is the BMC of the craft beer world. Is this incorrect/ I'll try it, but am not necessarily excited.

Revvy, my wife is picking me up a case this week and I will be going to my mother-in-laws for the forth of July. Do you want me to get you a case then. Now that you live in the city again it would be easy to get it to you.

Wow, yeah. What are you getting? Are they just going to make the straight lager available there, or their entire line? They have an ale, porter, black and tan.

http://www.yuengling.com/our_beer/

I wonder if they have sampler cases?

Let me know and we can connect!!!

Thanks, bro.

Well I like it. It's not great beer but good on a hot day. I consider Sam adams to be the BMC of craft beer. To me yuengling is BMC, but I like this one.

If anyone's coming into Detroit for anything via Ohio, and would bring me a case of something I would be quite happy. I've been wanting to taste their stuff for awhile.

I want a case too........

Never had Revvy??? Thats to bad........

Last christmas my wife had one of there sales guys pick me up a couple of cases. It a good solid lager, not the best or worst one ive tasted. Im sure its like anything else, when you cant get it, you want it. Im sure once its available in michigan I wont want it as much.

I saw this on facebook. Never had yuengling and am not super excited too. My understanding is it is the BMC of the craft beer world. Is this incorrect/ I'll try it, but am not necessarily excited.

It depends on how judgemental and how much of an EAC you are.

I'm excited because it is truly one of the oldest surviving INDEPENDENT regional breweries left. It survived prohibition AND the corporate merging and buyouts of the 80's on. Now that inbev ownd AHB, it's the oldest American owned brewery.

It's also macro brewery that still brews ales as well as lagers.

So to me it's a significant Independent American brewery, like Shiner and August Schell, and if it's anything like them, even their lager beer is pretty flavorful compared to BMC....

This is great news. Yuengling is 100% my go to beer. They have a good choice of beers too and all priced reasonable well.

I will check with my MIL and see if see can check on if they sell a sample pack. In PA they have some different rules on selling beer. Most times all you can get is cases.

Great, now that's like every state surrounding KY that Yuengling will be in, but still not here. I'm just sick of getting asked for it, then when I say we don't have it, people getting an attitude, then I have to explain to them that the brewery will not distribute to the entire state of KY, jackass. It's good for the price. When I go to SC I'll get a 12pk or case of the lager. BMC prices. Taste is light with a little flavor. However I would never go out of my way to get it.

Yuengling is my go to choice for a cheap beer when I don't want to spend money on a craft beer. If you haven't had it before, I would warn you to lower your expectations. It isn't a craft beer but more like PBR as a substitute to BMC (although I prefer Yuengling to PBR as it doesn't have the hipster connect. Yet.).

Yuengling and PBR taste NOTHING alike. Not even in the same realm.

I like their Black n Tan.

_

+1 to Black and Tan. Tastiest beer at that price point that I've had by far. Straight Porter is good too.

I've been curious to try their line myself. They even have a porter. I'd like to at least give it a try,since it did survive as a regional. That's saying a lot,these days.

Revvy said:

I picked up a case on my honeymoon in Orlando though I'm not sure which style it was... a light lager of some sort but it was nothing to scream home about.

I wonder what the volume of sales has to be before a brewery becomes evil. For those of us in Pa who've been drinking it since it was only a small brewery and enjoying it until now that it's more national, when am I supposed to start hating it?

I enjoyed their Black and Tan when I had it. I can't remember if I prefer their lager or light lager...

Anyways, for the price it is great. When I lived in Ohio I was 40 minutes from West Virginia which sold Yuengling and we would pick up multiple cases and usually get gas money from people if we brought a case for them.

I wonder what the volume of sales has to be before a brewery becomes evil. For those of us in Pa who've been drinking it since it was only a small brewery and enjoying it until now that it's more national, when am I supposed to start hating it?

I figured it out back when Goose island was bought.

So I'm trying to figure out the rules for being an EAC (look it up) Beersnob of the "Beer Wars" Variety. As opposed to just a normal beersnob, like I consider myself, who enjoys great beer, but doesn't give a care what other folks choose to drink, nor has fault with making money or running a business (which is really ironic since I'm a "bleeding heart" liberal and therefore I'm supposed to not eat meat, wear leather, believe in capitalism or shave my legs.;))

We have to hate BMC because they are the big evil corporate empire, and because their beer is the most popular on the planet and therefore it is crap.

But we ALSO have to hate the following micro/craft brewers mostly because they are too popular and/or they're not us and we're jealous. Maybe it's barrel size? If you are too big, meaning big sales then you suck?

We have to hate New Belgium Brewing Company, because frat boys like Fat Tire and therefore it sucks.

We Have to hate Dogfish Head and Sam Caligione because he had a tv show on discovery channel, and therefore his beer sucks.

We have to hate Jim Koch and Sam Adams because he runs commercials and sells a lot of beer, Sometimes he needs to have third party brewers contract brew it to meet demand, and therefore it sucks, DESPITE the fact that He supports homebrewing on so many levels including and not limited to making hops available to homebrewers during the hops shortage AND hosting the Longshot competition which gives a chance for homebrewers to have their beer brewed professionally, and showcased to a huge audience, but of course those folks who enter and win are actually not real homebrewers but poseur sellouts who's beer sucks (because it's not any of us who won.)

We have to hate Bell's brewery because he decided to protect his trade mark and therefore he must care about making money so his beer sucks (and he probably sleeps with sheep or something.)

Have I missed any? Do we hate Stone and Rogue because they paint their bottles and make it hard to re-use them and therefore their beers suck? Or are they for some reason "ok?"

Boy it's so hard to be a beer lover these days, with so many rules to follow. It used to be we just had to like good beer, whatever OUR definition of it was....../Sarcasm

Oh yeah and now we're supposed to hate Goose Island, because they completed a deal that they've been involved with for 5 years and partnered even more fully with AHB. So that means they're sellout bastards and even though we LOVED Bourbon County Stout...it sucks...even though it's been made under that partnership for years. It now is crap. :rolleyes:

It depends on how judgemental and how much of an EAC you are.

I'm excited because it is truly one of the oldest surviving INDEPENDENT regional breweries left. It survived prohibition AND the corporate merging and buyouts of the 80's on. Now that inbev ownd AHB, it's the oldest American owned brewery.

It's also macro brewery that still brews ales as well as lagers.

So to me it's a significant Independent American brewery, like Shiner and August Schell, and if it's anything like them, even their lager beer is pretty flavorful compared to BMC....
I do think it's cool for the facts above and that after all those years, it's still a family owned brewery. I wasn't trying to judge it based on any of that, I just do not care for light lagers or cream ales too much. I will drink them occasionally and actually just brewed my first Kolsch last weekend, but they're not the beers I seek. I avoid them the same as I avoid the over hopped bitter water that seems to be everywhere these days. It's not my personal taste. I didn't know they made others. I've only ever heard of them referred to by their light lager. Like I said, I'll try it for sure, but there are other breweries out there I'd be more excited to get imported to Ohio.

I figured it out back when Goose island was bought.
Rogue and Stone suck because they're big enough to be in my small town now. My town only carries crap beer, so whenever these guys came to town, it must have turned to crap :p

Every time we drive back East and the gas gauge gets down to a quarter after we cross into PA, I'm looking for a place to get gas....and Yuengling's. I think it's quite palatable, their porter being my favorite, and I wish we had access to it here in IL.

i live 20 minutes from the brewery. just took the tour a couple months ago. if you are ever near pottsville PA i suggest you take the tour.
the take you underground to the old lagering caves.
the neatest part is 3/4 of the brick wall the feds put up during prohibition, to block enterance still stands.
they survived prohibition by selling oatmeal stout as mediciene to pregnent mothers and by making ice cream. (or so the say..lol)
my future father-in-law owns a metal fabricating shop and he enlarged their spent grain tank. my woman doesnt like beer but loved the tour do to the history factor and to see her dads handy work.

ps. they make an incredible porter. i highly suggest it.

I did some work on a border town in Ohio a few years ago near Huntingdon, WV and I could have sworn that I bought some Yeungling there.

I like Yeungling lager a lot, though the green bottles skunk easily so I buy it in cans as a rule (or on draft).

Celebrated Pottsville Porter is one of my all-time favorite and Chesterfield is a great beer though you don't see it around much.

The lager is the best beer for the price out there, the porter and the black and tan are better than a lot of "craft" brews and the seasonal bock they put out this year was the first beer I ever stockpiled for when it was no longer in stores.

There's lots of better beer, there's lots of cheaper beer. But I defy you to find better, cheaper beer. And hey, family owned.

I have drank crap loads of this stuff. If I am going to have an american style lager it might as well be yueng. I'd rather have a Straub tho!

I have drank crap loads of this stuff. If I am going to have an american style lager it might as well be yueng. I'd rather have a Straub tho!

I don't think you can get Straub that far outside of St. Marys though, but it's decent yellow beer. They sell it in both green and brown bottles, I always got the brown. They made a special dark which was a tad light but decent.

I lived about 45 min away from St. Marys and used to drive right up to the brewery for beer. You don't have to get out of your car there, they'll load it up in your trunk and you pay them from the drivers seat.

Had a friend of mine move to my town from California, he was asking me if there were any good local beers and I told him about Straub. He was a bit of a beer snob and foo foo'd my suggestion until one day he went over there to sample from their "eternal tap" - where you can walk in off the street and they pour you a beer, free.

He stayed so long they had to ask him to leave.

:fro:

black and tan is a solid beer. their light lager is a solid substitute for miller/bud light if you need it for a party. due to the laws in PA most purchases of beer have to be by the case. while most of the yuenling brands are decent and reasonably priced (around $20), i dont find the value for the money to be good enough to pull me away from other craft brands.

normally if i need to pick up a few cases for a party and need something that tastes like a macro i'll get a case of lionshead and use the money saved on a craft case or two.

Sweetchuck said:
I don't think you can get Straub that far outside of St. Marys though, but it's decent yellow beer. They sell it in both green and brown bottles, I always got the brown. They made a special dark which was a tad light but decent.

I lived about 45 min away from St. Marys and used to drive right up to the brewery for beer. You don't have to get out of your car there, they'll load it up in your trunk and you pay them from the drivers seat.

Had a friend of mine move to my town from California, he was asking me if there were any good local beers and I told him about Straub. He was a bit of a beer snob and foo foo'd my suggestion until one day he went over there to sample from their "eternal tap" - where you can walk in off the street and they pour you a beer, free.

He stayed so long they had to ask him to leave.

:fro:

They have Straub dark on tap at the bar I dj at. Its not bad for free heheh. There is Stoneys too. I think that was and will be again brewed by IC. I wouldn't class any of these beers as good but would opt over BMC any day.

They have Straub dark on tap at the bar I dj at. Its not bad for free heheh. There is Stoneys too. I think that was and will be again brewed by IC. I wouldn't class any of these beers as good but would opt over BMC any day.

Hell, someone's been brewing Duquesne Beer for the last year or two. I grew up a few blocks from the old Duke brewery.

I used to drink Stoneys dark on tap down at the Large Motel in Large, PA. Redneck joint, it was my regular hang-out on Fridays back in my early 20's.

Sweetchuck said:
Hell, someone's been brewing Duquesne Beer for the last year or two. I grew up a few blocks from the old Duke brewery.

I used to drink Stoneys dark on tap down at the Large Motel in Large, PA. Redneck joint, it was my regular hang-out on Fridays back in my early 20's.

How about some Old German? ;)

Duquesne I think they bought the name and stuff only. I tried one. It was terrible even for a Pilsner. Absolutely the lightest, clearest beer I have seen. Would have thought it was water had I not known better. Not unlike a Rolling Rock. Good beer for the regions tastes I suppose.

How about some Old German? ;)

Duquesne I think they bought the name and stuff only. I tried one. It was terrible even for a Pilsner. Absolutely the lightest, clearest beer I have seen. Would have thought it was water had I not known better. Not unlike a Rolling Rock. Good beer for the regions tastes I suppose.

Frothingslosh (stale pale ale with the foam on the bottom) - I think I have a can or two of that somewhere.

I was going to pick up a six of Duke the next time I was in Pittsburgh, but I'll probably not bother now. I'll head over to East End and sample some of their wares.

Revvy said:
Wow, yeah. What are you getting? Are they just going to make the straight lager available there, or their entire line? They have an ale, porter, black and tan.

http://www.yuengling.com/our_beer/

I wonder if they have sampler cases?

Let me know and we can connect!!!

Thanks, bro.

They do sell sampler cases here in PA.

Sweetchuck said:
Frothingslosh (stale pale ale with the foam on the bottom) - I think I have a can or two of that somewhere.

I was going to pick up a six of Duke the next time I was in Pittsburgh, but I'll probably not bother now. I'll head over to East End and sample some of their wares.

Yep and Full Pint. Voodoo in Meadville also makes some really awesome beer. East Ends Pale Ale was so good this year that its already gone and its the summer ale there. I have to think there must be more fermenting tho.

+1 to Black and Tan. Tastiest beer at that price point that I've had by far. Straight Porter is good too.

That's how I feel too. I haven't had their Bock or APA, I think I've had the rest of their line though. Their lager & light lager aren't anything special at all, but their porter & black and tan (which I think is just a blend of the porter and their Traditional or Premium) are great for the price.

I have been drinking Yuengling Lager for a long time now. Living in Delaware its basically available on tap in every single bar around. Its a great beer to drink when only BMC beers are available. A bar i frequent even has it for only 5 dollars a pitcher. To be honest i see it so often that i was surprised when i read the post and saw that it was only available in 14 states.

Back