Yuengling- a favor to ask

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jotakah

Reaction score
Hi,

I've looked at a lot of recipes for Yuengling clones and am just about ready to try my first go at it. I used to live in Pennsylvania and miss it so much.

I figure there's got to be a lot of you out there that already have Yuengling in your fridge as you read this. This message is for you!

Could you pour some into a hydrometer sample, let it fizz out & warm to room temperature? So many recipes are out there but I haven't seen somebody who knows the true final gravity of yuengling, and since we DO know its alcohol%.... well you know the rest

Anywho, I would be super appreciative of anybody who's got some Yuengling around wouldn't mind doing my this favor... Cheers! :mug:

I'd be happy to sacrifice one and only one Yuengling for science.

So the details:
Can I use one from a can? It's the Traditional Lager, not the Light.
How long to let it sit and go flat? Open it now and read it in 8hrs? 24hrs?
My basement temp is ~65, so that will need to be figured in.

Let me know if a can will work and I'll open it promptly. I'm tempted to fill the graduated cylinder and drink the rest. :D

'da Yuengling Lovin' Kid

Yes, a can will work great! It's the same beer in bottles or cans. Mmm.... Yuengling Amber Lager :cross:

Not sure exactly how long to leave it out, probably two or three hours? Or until the bubbles are gone & it looks flat, and is easy to read the hydrometer.

Your hydrometer is likely calibrated to 68F. I think it takes about 8degrees to change the reading by .001 so your basement temp will be just fine

Thanks for donating a few oz of delicious lager to science!

Cheers :mug:

tumblr_ljh0puClWT1qfkt17.gif

Cheers! ;)

1.012 at 68degF

The sample has sat out on the counter in an open pint from 8PM - 1AM
Still a tiny 1/8" layer of foam in the graduated cylinder. No bubbles clinging to the hydrometer.

I'll take another reading and a pic in the morning.

Love the malty aroma from the warm pint glass.

'da Kid

Welp, since Yuengling is 4.4% ABV, I'm guessing the OG is

4.4/131 = 0.0335

1.012 + 0.0335 = 1.045 or 1.046

good to know! Thanks da' kid!

Looked at the hydrometer before heading off to work and am now getting 1.010
It's been 16hrs since I opened the can.

'da Kid

20131113-01623.jpg

I Love the smell of Yuengling in the morning! :)

If I had a bottle of Yuengling, I would so drink it. I cloned their Porter once, but ya I love the Amber. Wish it was available here. Maybe you could post your recipe ideas?

I've made a few dozen 15 gallon batches of this when I was out of state. When Yuengling couldn't keep up with production in Pa. and wasn't selling it out of state. Before Saflager was around, I used yeast from Genesee. My Yuengling recipe:

30% flaked corn
20% 6 row
45% Budvar floor malt. (Use Weyermanns light floor malt, Budvar isn't available any more)
5% sauer malt

Mix the corn, 6 row and half the sauer malt together and mash at 100F in 1.25 qts lb. Once pH drops to 5.6 raise mash to 120F and rest 30 minutes. Then raise mash to 145F and rest for half hour maintaining temp. Then bring the mash to a boil and boil 30 minutes. Once the mash begins to boil, dough in the floor malt and remainder of sauer malt with 130F water, 1.25 qt.lb. Once the mash has boiled for the 30 minutes, start adding it to the floor malt mash. Add only enough boiling mash to hit 150F. Allow the rest of the corn mash to cool or add water to cool it and finish dumping it into the floor malt. Maintain 150F until conversion. Then, mash out and run it off until pH rises to 5.8 or 1010-12 gravity at whatever temp the hydrometer is set at. I pitch Saflager 23 mixed with 34/70 and German Hallertau for bittering. Remove trub, aerate and pitch yeast. Ferment it out and rack to secondary. Keg when the glucose in the secondary is at 4%. At this stage the 34/70 does its job. There will be enough glucose in solution for the 34/70 to carb up the beer. Age it out...During primary sulpher will be evident, it will go away. Yuengling uses a modified decoction with the corn and uses it to hit conversion temp in the main mash.

I've gotten the most accurate hydro samples from commercial beers by pouring the beer back and forth between glasses and shaking it up. Agitation seems to drive CO2 out better than time alone.

Looks like you got it figured out, but from a Yuengling clone recipe instruction sheet I have OG - 1.044, FG - 1.010.

I've made a few dozen 15 gallon batches of this when I was out of state. When Yuengling couldn't keep up with production in Pa. and wasn't selling it out of state. Before Saflager was around, I used yeast from Genesee. My Yuengling recipe:

30% flaked corn
20% 6 row
45% Budvar floor malt. (Use Weyermanns light floor malt, Budvar isn't available any more)
5% sauer malt

Mix the corn, 6 row and half the sauer malt together and mash at 100F in 1.25 qts lb. Once pH drops to 5.6 raise mash to 120F and rest 30 minutes. Then raise mash to 145F and rest for half hour maintaining temp. Then bring the mash to a boil and boil 30 minutes. Once the mash begins to boil, dough in the floor malt and remainder of sauer malt with 130F water, 1.25 qt.lb. Once the mash has boiled for the 30 minutes, start adding it to the floor malt mash. Add only enough boiling mash to hit 150F. Allow the rest of the corn mash to cool or add water to cool it and finish dumping it into the floor malt. Maintain 150F until conversion. Then, mash out and run it off until pH rises to 5.8 or 1010-12 gravity at whatever temp the hydrometer is set at. I pitch Saflager 23 mixed with 34/70 and German Hallertau for bittering. Remove trub, aerate and pitch yeast. Ferment it out and rack to secondary. Keg when the glucose in the secondary is at 4%. At this stage the 34/70 does its job. There will be enough glucose in solution for the 34/70 to carb up the beer. Age it out...During primary sulpher will be evident, it will go away. Yuengling uses a modified decoction with the corn and uses it to hit conversion temp in the main mash.

ok this is different than any other recipe i have ever dont before. starting with that you only mash in partial ingredients at first and that you boil the mash. I thought getting the mash too hot would throw off flavors into your beer. can someone explain how this recipe works?

Hey jotakah, can you provide your recipe? Or any sources you used to create it?

Moved from Delaware to Illinois over a decade ago and still miss Yeungling at least once a week :(

Hey jotakah, can you provide your recipe? Or any sources you used to create it?

Moved from Delaware to Illinois over a decade ago and still miss Yeungling at least once a week :(

Sure thing! If you just google "Yuengling clone" and yuengling lager clone or yuengling homebrew clone you'll find lots of people's different recipes, many of which are on this here website. I took some (but not all) of them into account when I made the following:

For 11 gallons of Yuengling-ish (will let you know in the future how it turns out)

12# 2-row
4# Flaked corn
1# Munich malt
1# Caramel 80L
3/4# Flaked barley

Mashed at 150 for over 60min

@60 -> 1oz Cluster
@30 -> 1oz Cluster

OG: 1.044
TG: ??? hopefully 1.010, still in a long-primary

When wort cools, I added pure O2 for ~60seconds

I did 5 gallons with WLP830 German Lager yeast, and 6 gallons with Saflager S23. I'll let you know which is better.

Many recipes call for cluster & cascade. But I had clusters on hand and since Yuengling is America's Oldest Brewery and all, I thought that this would be more similar to what they made a hundred plus years ago

Cheers!:mug:

Sure thing! If you just google "Yuengling clone" and yuengling lager clone or yuengling homebrew clone you'll find lots of people's different recipes, many of which are on this here website. I took some (but not all) of them into account when I made the following:

For 11 gallons of Yuengling-ish (will let you know in the future how it turns out)

12# 2-row
4# Flaked corn
1# Munich malt
1# Caramel 80L
3/4# Flaked barley

Mashed at 150 for over 60min

@60 -> 1oz Cluster
@30 -> 1oz Cluster

OG: 1.044
TG: ??? hopefully 1.010, still in a long-primary

When wort cools, I added pure O2 for ~60seconds

I did 5 gallons with WLP830 German Lager yeast, and 6 gallons with Saflager S23. I'll let you know which is better.

Many recipes call for cluster & cascade. But I had clusters on hand and since Yuengling is America's Oldest Brewery and all, I thought that this would be more similar to what they made a hundred plus years ago

Cheers!:mug:

Awesome,thank you! I appreciate it. I will have to take a look around, but your recipe sounds great. This will be going on my To Brew list!

Awesome,thank you! I appreciate it. I will have to take a look around, but your recipe sounds great. This will be going on my To Brew list!

The taste is spot-on, but it's got far too much body. A Pennsylvanian friend called this beer "Yuengling with a big fat ass"

I would scrap the flaked barley. And maybe something else to thin out the body a bit. I'll give it a shot again later this year

The taste is spot-on, but it's got far too much body. A Pennsylvanian friend called this beer "Yuengling with a big fat ass"

I would scrap the flaked barley. And maybe something else to thin out the body a bit. I'll give it a shot again later this year

which yeast did you end up using? I can get Yuengling now, but i am moving to Cali in a few months, so i am going to have to have a good recipe...haha

I'd keep the flaked barley. I'd be tempted to cut way back on the caramel malt and use a light roasted malt for color. The caramel malt will add a lot of body. I like Kiln coffee malt (150-180 L). Probably 4 oz (11 gal batch) would get the desired color with very little impact on the flavor and body

Or you could keep the recipe as is and mash a couple of degrees cooler which will give you a lower FG. How did your FG compare? If higher, I'd mash cooler. If spot on, I'd change the recipe

oh how i miss home (philadelphia) and yuengling. my next brew might just have to be a clone.

ok this is different than any other recipe i have ever dont before. starting with that you only mash in partial ingredients at first and that you boil the mash. I thought getting the mash too hot would throw off flavors into your beer. can someone explain how this recipe works?

It's pretty much a mini-mash and decoction schedule.

AFAIK mini-mash is a technique used with high quantities of adjuncts in order to achieve better conversion. This recipe appears to employ an acid rest- which may not be necessary depending on your water profile and then a 145F sacch rest. Typically instead of an acid rest I think a cereal rest is used to gelatinize starches in grains like rice that gelatinize at temperatures higher than mash temps.

Decoction will also gelatinize starches since you are boiling the mash. There are two reasons you can boil some of the mash w/o ruining it. First you are pulling grains and only the thickest portion of wort that is trapped in them (I pull mash from my tun using a strainer) so the majority of enzymes are still in the tun and working. Second the off-flavors you mentioned are not extracted from the grain if the pH of the mash is correct- it happens easily in alkaline conditions. In fact decoction actually accentuates malt flavors.

Hope that helps.

while on the brewery tour last year they told me to shoot for an O.G. of 1.044 and the other hint he said to try a 50/50 blend of 2 row and 6 row as the base malt.

I fly out to Philly tomorrow for a four day Flyers weekend and I intend to drink nothing but Yuengling!

you are now currently number 1 on my list of jealous ppl and i hate you for that!

Go Flyers! i wish they played Vancouver more often.

Latest posts

Back