YOUR Top 5 Imperial Stouts!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Funny this thread should come up...my friends and I just held an "Imperial Stout Throwdown" where we all brought different stouts and tried them all side-by-side. We did this with barleywines too...both ended rather drunkenly.

My top 5:
1. Founder's Canadian Breakfast Stout
2. Bell's Expedition
3. Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout
4. Victory Storm King
5. Peche Mortel

And speaking of Founder's CBS, the Sunday after the Steel City Big Pour at Fat Heads earlier this year, Founder's had a keg of CBS, a local Belgian cafe made awesome waffles, and they had bottles of the maple syrup (Blis maple syrup, $30 a bottle) that occupies the barrels before CBS does. It might have been the best meal I've ever had.

Stouts are my bread and butter.

1. founder breakfast
2. founders kbs
3. brooklyn black chochalate(on cask at capital ale house Richmond)
4. Shakespear, Rogue
5. Oak Aged Yeti, great divide

Mind you I've had; Heresy, Ten-Fiddy, Dragons Milk .... all to syrupy sweet for me.
I haven't had dark lord.... which I really want.

Old Rasputin would be my #6

I've had a few Imperial stouts, not all that many. But Founder's Breakfast Stout kept returning to the top of the heap, so I brewed the clone in the Recipes / Stouts section. All you stout lovers: you will NOT be disappointed.

1. Old rasputin
2. Oharav by George Town Brewer
3. Dogfishe Head World Wide Stout
4. Yeti
5. Bells Expedition

1. Deschutes Abyss
2. AleSmith Speedway Stout
3. Avery Uncle Jacobs
4. Yeti
5. Can't decide beyond my top 4

Well, four year break in this thread, but I'll still play. and With Canadian brews, no less.

1. Grand River Russian Gun
2. Amsterdam Tempest
3. Wellington Brewery's IS
4. Nicklebrook Bolshevik Bastard
And while I didn't overly care for Sawdust City Long Dark Voyage to Uranus, I did enjoy the name, for I believe that is what every beer is.

6. Surly Darkness
5. KBS/Bells Expedition/Speedway Stout
4. Mikeller Black Hole Barrel Aged White Wine
3. Port Brewing Older Viscosity
2. 2011 Bourbon County Coffee Stout
1. 2009 Dogfish Head World Wide Stout

Latest posts

Back