Your Thoughts/Prayers/Voodoo Needed

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think that at this point in time, Marie will not physically attend the wedding. We are also very uncertain if Marie can, in fact, see things like a video screen. We really have little idea of what she can comprehend because she is basically uncommunicative. She may speak a word...or several words...and then not say another thing for days. However...while Marie was in the hospital's ICU, our daughter and her fiance spoke with one of the hospital chaplains. The chaplain agreed to "marry" them in Marie's presence in the ICU. And some of the ICU staff provided some wedding "trinkets." In fact, the "wedding" was quite the gossip throughout the entire hospital for several days! While they did not have a state-issued marriage license, we all firmly believe that they are married in the eyes of God...and in Marie's heart. Yes, there will be sadness at the wedding, but there will be much joy and celebration, as well.

glenn514:(

I think that at this point in time, Marie will not physically attend the wedding. We are also very uncertain if Marie can, in fact, see things like a video screen. We really have little idea of what she can comprehend because she is basically uncommunicative. She may speak a word...or several words...and then not say another thing for days. However...while Marie was in the hospital's ICU, our daughter and her fiance spoke with one of the hospital chaplains. The chaplain agreed to "marry" them in Marie's presence in the ICU. And some of the ICU staff provided some wedding "trinkets." In fact, the "wedding" was quite the gossip throughout the entire hospital for several days! While they did not have a state-issued marriage license, we all firmly believe that they are married in the eyes of God...and in Marie's heart. Yes, there will be sadness at the wedding, but there will be much joy and celebration, as well.

Glenn, I'm continuing to remember you and Marie (and the girls) in my thoughts and prayers. May you receive some comfort and strength as you go through this terrible time. And of course the wedding is a source of joy, and for celebration, in the midst of all this. I wish I could be there to provide some support, but I am there in spirit.

This brought a tear to my eye and my heart hurts for you. I am still here to listen and am still sending good vibes your way.

What a lovely thing to do! I bet Marie WAS aware of what was going on, at least at some level.

Sending out more healing thoughts and prayers for Marie and you and your family, Glenn.

I am weeping because of all the support I'm getting from people I have never met. Thank you, fellow brewers, for lifting me up and giving me comfort.

Today, I visited with my dear wife. When I arrived, she had the blanket completely off herself, and had pulled up her hospital gown...she was in bed. It was warm in the room, so I turned on the a/c. Then, she began to pull on her "briefs" [aka adult diapers], and after some grunting and groaning, I called the CNA's to come and change her.

I did get an opportunity to talk with the physical therapist, and the therapy will stop tomorrow due to Medicare. The therapy she is currently receiving is "maintenance" therapy, and Medicare will not continue to pay for that. Should her condition improve, therapy will be restarted.

My family and I are people of faith. Years ago, Martin Schalling wrote a wonderful text that some folks still sing, called "Lord, Thee I Love With All My Heart." The final stanza calls for our Lord's angels to "bear me home." I have read Schalling's text numerous times over the past weeks, and, like your kind words, it gives me comfort.

I am following this thread diligently. It hurts me that you have to go through this but I commend your strength. I am not super religious but I am still sending my best even though I dont post it often. Hang in there.

I am also here everyday Glenn. My heart hurts for you, your wife and family. My eyes well up and I get a catch in my throat for what you endure everyday. Religion is not one of my strong suits, but please know I'm here to help ease some of the weight of your heart.
I'm certain there are many others that are here for you too, but words to post don't come easy for all.

You are doing all the right things Glenn. You are providing your dear wife with love and care and trusting in the Lord to help and to guide. I am inspired by your caring, strength and faith. I know that the Lord will hold you and Marie's hands and lead you through.

I buried two parents and a father in law. My wife is a therapist. I know precisely what you are going through.

No words of wisdom, except to say it's a personal journey for each of us. My wife and I chose to remember the persons they were And try and act according to how they had lived.

I empathize with you and your family and hope you find the strength you need. Sometimes I found it in very unexpected places.

Keep posting, it's a positive thing.

God bless you and your family. I lost a wife years ago to lupus and it changed me forever. I feel your pain Glenn it has taken me back all those years when I was a young man and caretaker of a very sick wife. I will be thinking of you often and praying for positive outcome.

Don't hesitate to lean on us here when you need a shoulder, an ear, a kind word of support. Even though you don't "know" us - we will lift you up in prayer, give positive thoughts, whatever you may need - there IS strength in a group of people sending out positive energy. I've seen it many times on another forum I frequent.

First off, I need to, once again, thank all those that have posted positive thoughts to this sad thread. I want you all to know that I truly appreciate all the love and support you have shown me in this most difficult time.

Today was a MOTS day for Marie. A former meteorologist on the Rockford NBC station used to forecast MOTS. That simply means More Of The Same. And that is what today was. Marie was a bit "agitated" when I arrived, but that got taken care of when Lisa and Christina came to change her, clean her up and reposition her in bed. Before Lisa left, Marie was back to sleep.

So definitely MOTS. And the Packers are currently ahead of the Bears by 8.:mug:

Recon they're " packin'" today? :D Chin up man. When things get so bad you find yourself at the bottom, the only way left to go is up, right???

I haven't updated in a few days because the days have been MOTS days. I have noticed a decrease in her nodded answers. A few weeks ago, when asked a question, she would nod either yes or no. The past week, I've gotten few, if any, nods.

I sit in her room, with her sound asleep, and I begin to weep out of sadness, because my strong, brave, loving wife is no longer here. But then, often, my weeping comes from the joy of our four daughters, our two...soon to be three...grandchildren, and all the people we touched over our years together. While she is still with us, I miss her terribly. In fifteen days, our second-oldest daughter will be married. Marie will not be at the wedding, and all of us will miss her.

Again, my thanks for all the support I have felt from members of HBT.

Please do continue to update us. Make sure she knows you (and we) are rooting for her. Tell her how much you appreciate her responses because at this point you have to believe that she is probably frustrated with the MOTS even more than you are. Dont give up, dont settle, encourage her and be there. I am not saying that you arent but dont let her give up, keep her fighting. Best wishes at you as usual.

Went over to visit my dear wife today. I just didn't have it in me to get over there yesterday. Today was another MOTS day...she was in her chair, and the only time she seemed awake was when the CNA's came to move her back to bed, change her and get her cleaned up. Then, she went back to sleep.

I haven't updated in a few days because the days have been MOTS days. I have noticed a decrease in her nodded answers. A few weeks ago, when asked a question, she would nod either yes or no. The past week, I've gotten few, if any, nods.

I sit in her room, with her sound asleep, and I begin to weep out of sadness, because my strong, brave, loving wife is no longer here. But then, often, my weeping comes from the joy of our four daughters, our two...soon to be three...grandchildren, and all the people we touched over our years together. While she is still with us, I miss her terribly. In fifteen days, our second-oldest daughter will be married. Marie will not be at the wedding, and all of us will miss her.

Again, my thanks for all the support I have felt from members of HBT.

Oh, Glenn, I'm thinking of you and Marie often. Keeping you in our prayers here!

Wow, I'm just seeing this thread now. I am heartbroken for you. I'm not always the best with words, so I'll quote a comforting scripture:
Ps 34:18 The LORD is nigh unto them that are of a broken heart; and saveth such as be of a contrite spirit.

I stopped in this morning to visit with Marie. She was still in bed at 1000am-ish because the staff was overwhelmed with other issues. Regardless, she was MUCH more comfortable this morning than she was on Sunday. The "cipro" antibiotic is obviously doing what it is supposed to do. When I left, she was sleeping soundly...and comfortably.

Just read through this thread - I saw it pop up a few times but ignored it, thinking it was a new brewer worried that he infected his first batch. I wish that were actually the case...

So sorry to hear about your wife. Remember the good times over your 46 years together and continue to stay strong for her.

Today will be a therapy day for me. I rode my motorcycle only once so far this riding season...and when I did that, I discovered I had no rear brake. So, the bike went into the shop for repairs. I got it back yesterday, now with both front and rear brakes, so I plan to take a bike ride today. First, I will stop in and see my wife, and check up on how she's doing today. Then, I will head out for a lovely park in Beloit, WI, along the Rock River, where the city fathers installed benches just for our benefit! I will spend some time reading my lastest novel from the library, and enjoy this warm fall day. And I will also miss my riding partner dearly.

Glenn, at this point, you have to remember the good times. Keep her in your heart and when you find yourself getting down in the dumps, think of some special time you had together and hold onto it.

Glenn,
Glad to hear that you made a little you time. Sometimes, it's what we need in order to clear our head and come back with more positive energy!

Just before I left the house earlier today, I got a phone call from my "cousin," David Becker. David is the grandson of my Great-Aunt Minnie. He had ridden his Gold Wing Trike from central Wisconsin to the town of Beloit, and he was waiting for me to show up. I explained that it would be a couple of hours...but he was waiting for me when I finally got there.

When I arrived at Marie's bed, I asked her if she knew who I was. I got no response. After a few minutes, the pastor of the congregation I served here in Marengo appeared at the door. Regardless of what issues Marie and I may have with the man, he was still our pastor for twelve years. We had a good chat about Marie, me, and his three-week old hip replacement! He offered a wonderful prayer for Marie and for me and the girls. I appreciated his visit.

My time with David was wonderful. He's a few years older than I am, but we hung out together when I would go "up north" to visit my Great-Aunt. I appreciate the effort he took today to see me.

My "Day of Therapy for Glenn" has turned out extremely well. Soon, I will make my dinner...but that should be a piece of cake...or chicken! Marie was sleeping comfortably when I left today.

I am glad to see that today was one step ahead of MOTS, you needed it.
Even though I'm not a religous man and you and Marie may not see eye to eye with the pastor, his showing compassion for others so soon after his own troubles says a lot.
I think I'd like David, next time you talk to him, tell him HBT said Thanks.

The weather was so absolutely beautiful here today, that I just HAD to ride the bike over to Hearthstone! And it was a very pleasant ride, I might add.

When I arrived, Marie was in bed. She had just been returned there and must have been warm, because she kicked the covers off! She even greeted me, saying "Hi, there!" And some time later, she said, "Cold." So, I covered her with a sheet.

She was more aware and awake today than in several days, but she has developed a nagging cough. I mentioned it to the nurse, and she said she will check with Dr. Judy to get a chest x-ray tonight or perhaps tomorrow morning.

And that's it for today.

Motorcycle riding over the past several days has been excellent therapy.

Sunday, Marie was amazingly awake and aware during most of my visit. She was also using more words than she has in several weeks. However, she has developed a cough that really sounds nasty. They did a chest xray, and her lungs are clear...NO pneumonia. On Sunday, the nurse was talking about a "nebulizer" or some way to get medication into her lungs to clear up the wheezing and coughing.

Yesterday, during my visit, the cough seemed worse, but the nebulizer was sitting on a chair. It had been used yesterday morning, but the nurse...a different nurse...was still thinking about some type of cough medication through her gastric tube. Marie was awake for a portion of my visit, and then had more sleepy-time.

I'm spending some time this morning getting the house cleaned and in order for the festivities this weekend: the marriage of our second-oldest daughter! Three of our four children will be here, my brother and sister-in-law will be here, and we should have a simply splendid time! Gotta go make up some beds!

Back