Your Thoughts/Prayers/Voodoo Needed

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Before I left for church this morning [played two services at Calvary Lutheran LCMS in Elgin] the bike battery was fully charged. When I got home from church, I installed it and the bike started up like a champ. Fluffed up the tires and headed to Hearthstone to see Marie. She slept the entire time I was there!

Liesl and Jim were there as well...and they made me a platter of food from Hearthstone's resident/family/staff picnic! So, I even got lunch out of the deal.

This week, I'll be meeting with Hearthstone's staff regarding present and future treatment. I'll also be meeting with Journey Care's nurse/practitioner. Stay tuned for further updates.

glenn514:(

When I arrived at Hearthstone today...100am-ish...Marie was already sitting in her chair, and was alert. I asked her if she missed me yesterday. She shook her head "Yes." I explained to her that I did not feel well, and I think she understood.

Jason, the speech therapist, stopped in and we chatted about Holy Communion. I mentioned "intinction," which is dipping the bread into the wine and administering the moistened bread as both Christ's body AND His blood. That idea he really liked! He said that she may turn away from it, but she basically turns away from most things placed in her mouth. So, any time Pastor Rubeck is willing, she can commune!

The physical therapists worked with her for a time this morning, as well. Shortly before I left...100pm-ish...they put her back in bed, and she was almost asleep when did leave.

Tomorrow afternoon, I meet with the Hearthstone staff. I have a number of questions already jotted down. Tomorrow morning, I have a dental cleaning/x-rays/exam. I'll stop back at home before I head to Hearthstone to meet with them. On Thursday afternoon, I meet with the nurse-practitioner from Journey Care.

My continued prayers for you and your family. It's possible to lose track of the emotional toll this takes on all involved.

It's good that you have your faith to support you and your loved ones during this difficult time.

Damn. This is hard.

I have not been on much lately, just saw this thread and read through it all and was floored by the absolute and simple truth in the above statement. I am not a religious man and am, therefore, not a praying man, but you are certainly welcome to any influence my thoughts and wishes for you and your wife have on the universe. In the end, despite all the problems and my often cynical outlook, I believe in people. It gives me hope. Following your story about this difficult time, has strengthened that belief.

I did not visit Marie this morning...had a dental cleaning/exam...but the people who care for her said she used numerous words this morning. She was semi-alert for part of my visit this afternoon.

The Journey Care person was running at least 30 minutes late, and there was NO doctor's "order" for her visit! That took care of that!

Tomorrow, I meet with the care team to look at what she can do, and what the future may hold. Brenda, one of her physical therapists, was excited about several little "steps" toward improvement.

As long as the steps are toward improvement you can't complain. All my best though. And thank you for the updates. I am sure I speak for the rest when I say that we are right there with you although we don't necessarily know Marie ourselves. Hang in there and keep positive

Well, at my meeting today, Hearthstone will continue to do what they are doing...giving Marie all the therapy she can tolerate in her condition. Julia, one of the physical therapists, said that while the gains may seem very small, from a therapeutic viewpoint, Marie is making good progress.

It also seems that getting Journey Care involved was premature. All three people at the meeting, in addition to me, said that at some point in the future, palliative/hospice care may be needed, but at this point in time, all her vitals are rock-solid, and therapy is assisting in her care. Right now, palliative/hospice care is not what we want. I want the staff to do what they do best...care for patients. And then, let's sit back and watch our Lord hard at work through those people, working toward improving her quality of life.

All of us know that she is at high risk for additional strokes/clots/medical problems. But I was assured today that her condition is NOT at the point of involving Journey Care at this time.

It's so very hard for me to let go, and let our Lord do His thing. But His strength is so much more than mine.

Yeah, that was the hardest thing I ever had to do, speaking from past experience. But being mortal, it's natural to ponder what might've been done vs what can I do now? Nothing to do now but keep trying whatever works & let god do his part. It's hard, I know, being with someone longer than you've been single, watching them go through something like this. Years ago now, my wife was in a bad " shunt" as they call it in European racing lingo. The doctors were out of ideas, so I discussed it with them & gave them my idea. It worked, & she's still her today because of my getting "A"'s in the living sciences. So you never know how God will inspire you to help out...maybe even save the day. Just clear your mind 7 let him work his magic...

This "new normal" sucks. This morning, I spent some time reviewing the checkbook. I am amazed that, since I took it over almost a month ago, everything...I repeat...EVERYTHING balances! Now, prior to my taking it over...

Marie is being cared for extremely well by the staff at Hearthstone Manor. Every day there are little steps toward improvement. Two weeks ago, she couldn't turn her head to the left. Now, she does it often. I am thankful for the work the therapists are doing for Marie. And I am also thankful for the staff that puts her into her chair, changes her diaper, wipes her butt, gives her the medications she needs...all those things we take for granted.

It's a bit over four weeks since the first stroke and subsequent hemorrhagic stroke, and I must say it again...this "new normal sucks."

It DOES suck, but try to concentrate on the positives as much as you possibly can - she's fortunate to have such a great caring place to recuperate, not to mention a husband who loves and adores her and wants the best for her.

Agree with the others that it is important to concentrate on the positive, but know you can always come tell us when/why it sucks. Its also important to get that out. Take care!

Glenn,
We're certainly glad to hear about these updates, especially all of these little improvements! Keep encouraging her and let us know if you need anything!

Glad to hear of improvements, this thread makes me tear up every time I come here.
Stay strong and my thoughts and prayers go out to you.

Just popping in to let you know I've been thinking of you and your lovely wife. If you need anything please don't hesitate to ask.

Today brought a discovery. Our oldest daughter, Joy, made a Shutterfly book for Marie, entitled "THE MAHNKE'S!" Inside it are photos of both Marie and I, all four of our girls, our grandchildren...as well as grandchild #3 to be born this October! The thought and love that went into making that book made my eyes overflow with fond memories and warm thoughts. Our second daughter read/showed the book to Marie last night. And her speech therapist will borrow it and use it in her therapy! That book made my day!

And today was a much better day for me than yesterday.

That's awesome Glenn!
Been following along, and our prayers are definitely with you and the family. I admire your strength and your attitude. I can only hope to be half as strong as you, God forbid something like this should fall upon our family.

I didn't make it to Hearthstone yesterday, but I did today. When I arrived, Marie was in her chair. Not much later, the Dynamic Duo...Batman and Robin [aka therapists Brenda and Julia] came in to work with Marie. Brenda managed to get her to lift her right leg FIVE times [it is the left side that she cannot move]! Julia massaged her left hand, which is quite swollen from lack of movement. Julia mentioned that nursing is getting a long compression glove for her to keep the swelling down.

Marie was covered with a lovely quilt, made by the ladies at our congregation, Prince of Peace, Crystal Lake. Pastor Rubeck brought it over the day after the ladies finished it; he and the ladies prayed over it for Marie.

When I left, she was again sound asleep. She is comfortable, clean, and lovingly cared for by the entire staff at Hearthstone. Seeing them care for her is watching God at work in all of our lives.

Great that you have Family, a Faith community and Friends to work you both through this. The staff at Hearthstone sounds terrific.

I arrived at Hearthstone today a bit before 1000am. Marie was already in her chair! I woke her and told her several things before she went back to sleep. I left around noon, and she was still in the chair, and dozing contentedly.

Someone really cranked up the a/c in her room...such that I was cold. I adjusted it so it would be a tad warmer for her.

That's it for Monday.

I did visit with Marie for a time today, although she slept for most of my time there. I did have two conversations, one with Jason, the speech therapist. He is between a rock and a hard place because he needs Marie awake and alert during the therapy, and that issue is a crap shoot!

I also spoke with the social worker, and Marie will be "discharged" from therapy...read that again, please..."discharged" from therapy effective 11 September. That is next week Friday. Reason? The overwhelming lack of any real progress. Marie will remain at Hearthstone but physical therapy and speech therapy will be discontinued. She will continue to be lovingly cared for by the staff.

I spent about 90 minutes visiting with Marie today. I spoke about the things I had done in the past few days, and the things that were going to happen in the days to come. She slept through most of my visit, waking only when the nurse came in to administer meds and check blood sugar.

Part of the time, I simply sat in a chair and wept. I wept not for myself, but for the dear, kind, loving person that Marie was before 24 July.

I did visit with Marie for a time today, although she slept for most of my time there. I did have two conversations, one with Jason, the speech therapist. He is between a rock and a hard place because he needs Marie awake and alert during the therapy, and that issue is a crap shoot!

I also spoke with the social worker, and Marie will be "discharged" from therapy...read that again, please..."discharged" from therapy effective 11 September. That is next week Friday. Reason? The overwhelming lack of any real progress. Marie will remain at Hearthstone but physical therapy and speech therapy will be discontinued. She will continue to be lovingly cared for by the staff.

Glenn,

First, hang in there.

Second, do some googling, I seem to remember that therapy may not be withheld because of "lack of progress" if Medicare is in play. Not sure it applies here.

Take care.

I went to spend some time with Marie today. She slept the entire time I was there. The nurse did come in and administer some meds. She was concerned about the bloating, but said that she listened closely to her bowel sounds yesterday, and all was good.

So, nichts neues.

Consider meeting family members there (if they are local) and playing cards etc. I know my dad could hear us shooting the **** and stuff. He would mumble some things while we were playing. I'm sure he enjoyed hearing us there, even though he couldn't participate.

We put sports on TV and also fired up some old songs (youtube on smart phone) that my dad liked. That really got him perked up. He could barely talk, but he told us songs he wanted to hear - Harry Chapin. Maybe your wife would like to hear some music.

Passedpawn...we do have a CD player in her room, and we'll put on one of her favorite CD's from time to time And only one daughter is local, and she's planning a wedding in less than a month...so she's rather busy. But we do talk when we're there together.

only one daughter is local, and she's planning a wedding in less than a month

Hey Glenn- I don't know the situation, so excuse my ignorance, and no hurt intended, but with the wedding upcoming, just a thought to throw out there for you: If Marie was intended to be there and the general feeling is one of sadness of her not being able to attend, why not see if you can find someone local to set up a video feed to a laptop or even the tv in her room? My oldest son did that for his favorite uncle that could not come up for his wedding.
She may or may not be able to respond/understand, but at least she would 'see and hear' what is going on. Also..... those at the wedding would be able to take comfort in/relax a bit knowing that at least Marie is there in a virtual sense.

Dunno if it's feasible or what, but just a random thought that hit me.

Latest posts

Back