Your favorite band or album that nobody ever heard of

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Interesting....I don't know who 80% of these bands are:( I spend my radio time listening to "oldies" from the 60s & 70s. Music kind of died in the late 70s with disco for me anyway.....got back into some things this century but I still don't know what half of you are talking about....

I'm in the same genre as the OP, Yooper, cluck, etc.... I think I saw Uriah Heap in Knoxville in 1970....I can't remember a lot of those concerts ;)

Barefoot Jerry...wow...now that's a flashback.....used to see them all the time and the members changed, depending upon who was in town.

ah but enough of my wasted mind.... I guess my most favorite obscure band is 8-1/2 Souvenirs. Just sort of gets to me for some reason.

Matthew Good Band - The Audio of Being

Now the Canadians will know them but in the US they are pretty much unheard of. I listened to their earlier albums a ton during my college years....mid-late 90'ies. Great mix of super relaxing, witty songs with uplifting anthems that get your mind racing.

Listen to "The fall of man". Incredible song and songwriting.

Not exactly someone you've never heard of, but a more obscure album: Herbie Hancock's Sextant is a personal all time favorite. I love older electronic music: Beaver & Krause, Tangerine Dream, and Gong all come to mind. Also a huge TSOP fan. That's 'The Sound of Philadelphia' for my non-soul loving friends on here. Teddy Pendergrass can sing about doing it like no one else.

I never got Zappa. Not that I don't think he a talented musician, composer, and arranger, but I never understood why his music is so complicated or such a mish-mash.

It's got to be Tennessee or Women and Work. They got a little whiney on the middle albums. Saw them twice on the last tour, I hope I get to see them again before someone ODs.

I saw them last year and the show was really tight. Ben didn't even get that messed up. I had heard about him being epically high/drunk in shows. I really don't understand why they don't get more pub. See, I can't single out one album, as I think they all have a uniqueness. Maybe that's just the fanboy in me.

For those with a taste for alt country/Americana/good hard-drinkin' music (much of it obscure, so I'm still slightly on-topic), may I recommend Boot Liquor Radio (streaming):

http://somafm.com/bootliquor/

In just the past hour, they've played -

Stacey Earle, Beautiful Loser Society, Victor Mourning, Sara Petite, Fred Eaglesmith, Jinx Jones, Scott Miller, Hank Williams III, Dave Alvin And The Guilty Men, Hot Texas Swing Band, Gas Money, ThorNton Creek, Ernest Tubbs, Country Fried, Beat Farmers, Black Boot Trio, Refreshments, Chicken Coupe Deville

I also hear a lot of Drive-by Truckers, Derailers, Meat Purveyors, Bob Wills, Wailin' Jennys, John Prine, Blind Corn Liquor Pickers, Townes Van Zandt, Folk Uke, Gram Parsons, and many others that you may or may not have heard of.

For those with a taste for alt country/Americana/good hard-drinkin' music (much of it obscure, so I'm still slightly on-topic), may I recommend Boot Liquor Radio (streaming):

http://somafm.com/bootliquor/

In just the past hour, they've played -

Stacey Earle, Beautiful Loser Society, Victor Mourning, Sara Petite, Fred Eaglesmith, Jinx Jones, Scott Miller, Hank Williams III, Dave Alvin And The Guilty Men, Hot Texas Swing Band, Gas Money, ThorNton Creek, Ernest Tubbs, Country Fried, Beat Farmers, Black Boot Trio, Refreshments, Chicken Coupe Deville

I also hear a lot of Drive-by Truckers, Derailers, Meat Purveyors, Bob Wills, Wailin' Jennys, John Prine, Blind Corn Liquor Pickers, Townes Van Zandt, Folk Uke, Gram Parsons, and many others that you may or may not have heard of.

Nice! Thanks.

Another band I haven't seen on the list but is awesome is the birthday party. A early nick cave band.

Nope... not even close..

Wait.. are you a snow machine riding AK boy?

heh, if i still had a snowmachine i would be..:rockin:

not even close huh? Brock looks like he's having a heart attack and short of breath everytime they play lol

but Kallahan should get more props especially on a forum like this; do you recognize the bassist???

owner and head brewer of Anchorage Brewing Company :rockin:

Last edited by a moderator:
Roots rock/jam band called IS out of New York state.
Singer songwriter Peter Cardilla out of Santa Cruz, Ca.
Garage rock band called Pigs, out of Las Vegas in mid 1990s

Brian Keane. He pulled off the Odyssey as a country and his favorite covers when playing Gruene Hall, the oldest dance hall in Texas, were Prince-Nothing Compares to You (yep, the one Sinead O, Connor did) and Beck-Satan Gave Me a Taco...that is just downright badassery!

heh, if i still had a snowmachine i would be..:rockin:

not even close huh? Brock looks like he's having a heart attack and short of breath everytime they play lol

but Kallahan should get more props especially on a forum like this; do you recognize the bassist???

Video Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i9Gt9g96m20

I moved to GA long time ago... my neighbors freaked out when it snowed and I pulled the SM out of the garage.. had never seen one..

owner and head brewer of Anchorage Brewing Company :rockin:

That I didn't know.. that's badass..

got to agree with the cramps posts, lux interior was great! loved the meteors too. Elf, an early, bluesy, ronnie james dio effort is worth hunting down, but im afraid ive always been a bit partial to the bonzo dog doo dah band.... and like the late great vivian stanshalls catalog, its just plain eccentric:)

probably known....but definitely lesser known:
John Mancini Band
Fishbone

Man or Astroman
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/6syxA0ThR5Y" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Funny thing is...I'm actually more of a bluegrass fan.

Not exactly someone you've never heard of, but a more obscure album: Herbie Hancock's Sextant is a personal all time favorite. I love older electronic music: Beaver & Krause, Tangerine Dream, and Gong all come to mind. Also a huge TSOP fan. That's 'The Sound of Philadelphia' for my non-soul loving friends on here. Teddy Pendergrass can sing about doing it like no one else.

I never got Zappa. Not that I don't think he a talented musician, composer, and arranger, but I never understood why his music is so complicated or such a mish-mash.

Looks like I have to listen to Beaver & Krause since the others are progammed into Drom John Radio on Pandora. In fact, my bottling session last Sunday was to Tangerine Dream Radio on Pandora.

As to Zappa, I disliked him at first, mostly because of the lyrics. Then someone had me listen to Zappa alongsided Ornette Coleman. They are very similar.

Hmm, Spotify just introduced [now playing] Skerik's Syncopated Taint Septet. I highly recommend.

Pretty much anything from these folks, but these are some of my favorite songs from each:

This Will Destroy You -
Red Fang -
MC Frontalot -
High On Fire -
Russian Circles -
Explosions In The Sky -

Last edited by a moderator:
Reckless Kelly
Cross Canadian Ragweed
Casey Donahew Band

Casey Donahew? I can't stand listening to that guy.

I was at the recording of Reckless Kelly was here. One of the best concerts I ever saw. CCR was good too, and still a fan of The Departed. My fav Texas Country band is still Randy Rogers Band. Lots of good Red Dirt music out there....

Casey Donahew? I can't stand listening to that guy.

I was at the recording of Reckless Kelly was here. One of the best concerts I ever saw. CCR was good too, and still a fan of The Departed. My fav Texas Country band is still Randy Rogers Band. Lots of good Red Dirt music out there....

How about Band of Heathens? I can't say I like the Departed much but Randy Rogers is awesome

Spicemon1972 said:
Not sure if nobody knows about them, but Jets To Brazil - Orange Rhyming Dictionary is an album that clicked with me from first listen. I also found Lucero a few years ago - their record Nobody's Darlings is delicious. There are many, many more for me, but these two really stand out.

I was/am a huge Jawbreaker fan and think ORD is the best Jets to Brazil record, for sure. Sea Anemone is my favorite song.

Just got the 2003 re-issue of "Dopesmoker" from them for xmas last year. TRVE just made an awesome Double IPA as a tribute (towards the bottom of the page). :rockin:

Stout O))) lolz

that's cool, i was lucky enough to try 3Floyd's In the Name of the Suffering(blackIPA, they're tribute brew to EYEHATEGOD. And i read some where that they're doing another called Kill Your Boss at some point..:rockin:

Japanese ska band:

Kemuri

90% of the songs on their albums are in English.

[ame]http://youtu.be/KFyezEqPXtU[/ame]

Here's a few from the mid to late 80's I grew up listening to and discovered on college radio:

[ame]http://youtu.be/2ATHaT641ZA[/ame]

[ame]http://youtu.be/J5MdOnqipIU[/ame]

[ame]http://youtu.be/rEiQ_0Mv28E[/ame]

The later two were from the 80's Athens music scene but couldn't get out from under the shadow R.E.M. cast out over that scene and it's too bad because they were some damn fine bands...

Samuel Locke Ward outta Iowa is very under the radar. If you are a fan of indie rock you will most likely enjoy his music. His Sad Times For High Hopes album is awesome, one of those albums you can listen to over and over all the way through. I couldn't find anything from that album on YouTube but its incredible and anyone who enjoys edgy DIY rock and roll should check it out for sure (its on his bandcamp page, link below). It's the album that has a unicorn with an Uzi on it...favorite songs are the differents, lungs hurt, and god forgive America...but they're all good in my opinion. I was introduced to his music when he was touring with Joe Jack from the Dead Milkmen a few years ago and I don't regret it. Some other slightly (but not so much) obscure music I have been enjoying lately is Girls Against Boys (love touch and go records!) and Hawkwind
http://samuellockeward.bandcamp.com/

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=CFGAy02dbUA&desktop_uri=/watch?v=CFGAy02dbUA

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=SzVsJg5h1HQ&desktop_uri=/watch?v=SzVsJg5h1HQ

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=kasaRZhppkg&desktop_uri=/watch?v=kasaRZhppkg

Jose James. Incredibly smooth jazz voice out of Brooklyn. His version of Park Bench People is fantastic. There are some awesome videos of him playing with Japanese jazz band Soil & "Pimp" Sessions. In one he is scatting back and forth with the sax player...epic!

I was a great bar right outside of Boston earlier(Deep Ellum). Heard some music and cranked up Shazam. The band was called Spoon. Not sure if the amazing beer was kickin in, but it sounded pretty good.

Bulls Beers said:
I was a great bar right outside of Boston earlier(Deep Ellum). Heard some music and cranked up Shazam. The band was called Spoon. Not sure if the amazing beer was kickin in, but it sounded pretty good.

Nope, Spoon is a good band. And you can check out Divine Fits too if you like that.

Latest posts

Back