Your Expertise, Please! First water report.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aa760

Reaction score
OK, like many posting to this thread, I have read about water and researched city water reports,and finally realized I need to pony up and have MY brewing water tested. I used a carbon filter and marine hose to collect water as I would for a brew day and sent it into ward labs- these results are for my filtered water- can you please share your thoughts?

pH 7.9
Total Dissolved Solids (TDS) Est, ppm 630
Electrical Conductivity, mmho/cm 1.05
Cations / Anions, me/L 10.0 / 10.4 ppm

Sodium, Na 94
Potassium, K 5
Calcium, Ca 73
Magnesium, Mg 26
Total Hardness, CaCO3 291
Nitrate, NO3-N 0.2 (SAFE)
Sulfate, SO4-S 82
Chloride, Cl 93
Carbonate, CO3 < 1.0
Bicarbonate, HCO3 156

Total Alkalinity, CaCO3 129
Total Phosphorus, P < 0.01
Total Iron, Fe < 0.01

I heard that I should multiply the SO-4-S number by 3 to get sulfate- that seems high- is it really 246? The sodium seems high for filtered water, no?

My dark beers typically turn out pretty rad, if I do say so myself. Sometimes I struggle to get my IPA's to "pop" despite copious quantities of dry hops, I thought this might be related to sulfate, but if these numbers are accurate, I am thinking this might not be a sulfate issue.

I typically add 4 grams of of calcium chloride and 6 grams of gypsum to 10 gallons of this water, which I prepare the day before I brew.

If this was your water, would you have concerns? I appreciate the wisdom of those who have been down this road before me.

By the way, this is for Oceanside, California, if there are any other north San Diego county brewers out there that can use this info!
Cheers!

That Sodium is a bit on the high side. With that hardness I don't think you need to add gypsum or CaCl unless you are trying to adjust to a particular water profile.

The bottom line is mash pH so I would enter this profile into some brewing software along with your grain bill and see where you stand.

Sulfate, SO4-S 82

I heard that I should multiply the SO-4-S number by 3 to get sulfate- that seems high- is it really 246?

Yes.

The sodium seems high for filtered water, no?
As there are no sodium filters (other than RO units) filtration on lack thereof has nothing to do with it. But yes, that sodium is pretty high.

I typically add 4 grams of of calcium chloride and 6 grams of gypsum to 10 gallons of this water, which I prepare the day before I brew.
You add more sulfate to this water?

If this was your water, would you have concerns? I appreciate the wisdom of those who have been down this road before me.
Yes. You are restricted to brewing beers that are OK with your high sulfate and sodium levels. I don't personally like those beers but if you do you are fine. Your alkalinity is highish at 129 and beating that down with acid means more anions in the water. Were this what came into my brewery I would invest in an RO system or at least experiment with RO water obtained from whatever source to see if I should invest in an RO system.

Not surprised by the report after I saw where you are located. The report is typical.

It could be usable for brewing pale ales and IPA, but its not suited to much else. The mineralization is too high for many styles. Some dilution is recommended.

This is great feedback! I really appreciate the way this community supports each other. Thanks for taking the time. Looks like dilution is the best strategy for the time being. Going to try a 50/50 mix with my water and distilled for my next brew tomorrow. If calcium sinks to 36-37, could that have a negative affect on yeast health? Further thoughts or input are welcome. Stoked to get good feedback on water. Thanks, hbt'ers!

Low calcium has no effect on yeast health, that is a myth. However, low calcium content can adversely affect yeast flocculation and the beer may not clear as well.

Low calcium has no effect on yeast health, that is a myth. However, low calcium content can adversely affect yeast flocculation and the beer may not clear as well.

I had heard rumors that high calcium wasn't necessarily required for yeast health, but after a couple of batches of putting calcium at around 100ppm I was very pleased with the clarity of beers compared with what I was getting when I didn't go that high.

Looks good for dark English styles too. +1 for half distilled. That magnesium level is almost diaretic.

I had heard rumors that high calcium wasn't necessarily required for yeast health, but after a couple of batches of putting calcium at around 100ppm I was very pleased with the clarity of beers compared with what I was getting when I didn't go that high.

It does aid flocculation. Most of the beers made with little calcium seem to be lagers and there we have the time of lagering in which remaining yeast can settle so we don't need the flocculation benefit.

With over 100 ppm calcium in Burton on Trent waters, the beers of Burton were revered for their very high clarity. Your result is not a surprise.

Back