Young mead

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

THowe16

Reaction score
Hi all,
My first batch of Mead smells and tastes like wine after a month of fermenting (curious taste test) is this bad?

For most mead I would say that's just what it should taste like right now. It's only bad if you don't want it to taste like that. Without further details about what you were trying to make or how you are making it, it's hard to give a good answer to that.

Hi Thowe16 and welcome
Never bad to taste your meads /wines as they ferment and age, but what exactly were you hoping that your mead would taste like if not "wine". It's not gong to taste like a beer (no grains). It's not going to taste like soda (not enough carbon dioxide). It's not going to taste like "honey" in the abstract since honey is very sweet and you have fermented all (or most) of the sugars that cause the sweetness but it should taste of the flowers that the bees used to make the honey... The exceptions being if the mead is very high in alcohol in which case you may taste the heat and not the flavor, or if your fermentation was too aggressive and you blew off the volatile flavor notes or if you boiled the must (as suggested in older recipes) and you boiled off all the flavor...

Hi Thowe16 and welcome
Never bad to taste your meads /wines as they ferment and age, but what exactly were you hoping that your mead would taste like if not "wine". It's not gong to taste like a beer (no grains). It's not going to taste like soda (not enough carbon dioxide). It's not going to taste like "honey" in the abstract since honey is very sweet and you have fermented all (or most) of the sugars that cause the sweetness but it should taste of the flowers that the bees used to make the honey... The exceptions being if the mead is very high in alcohol in which case you may taste the heat and not the flavor, or if your fermentation was too aggressive and you blew off the volatile flavor notes or if you boiled the must (as suggested in older recipes) and you boiled off all the flavor...
I was going for a dry Mead because I'm not a fan of the overly sweet meads I used a recipe calling for regular active dry yeast and no boiling so I guess I did something right when I put the halved raisins in

Latest posts

Back