You Yanks drive me crazy!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As an engineering student, an all out switch to the metric system would save me a ton of time converting between various imperial/English units. Everything makes a ton more sense in metric and I wouldn't have to remember that a cubic foot of water weighs 62.4 pounds , 1 BTU heats 1 lb of water 1º or = 780ft·lbf or anything like that.

I'm all for switching to metric or SI, maybe I should just move to another country...

We are, but slowly. Our Interstate highway system was spec'd in metric back in the 1950s. Almost everything about our cars is metric, except the wheel sizes and the odometer. Soda is in 2L bottles and wine in 750ml. All of our coinage and paper money is metric (nickels are 5.000 gm). Meds are in mg.

But most of the elders can't cope. For example, how would they buy gas? Now all they have to do is say, "Fill it." or "Give me $30 of regular." It would be too hard in metric.

Not changing can be very expensive. A couple months back I was reading about a new shipping facility that delayed its opening because the cable trenches for the electric cranes were too small. The cable was metric, and the trenches were stupid. When specifying the trench, they converted and rounded down. Just a 0.3 mm error. $2.5M.

Well, if it's true that Napoleon implemented the new ideas of the metric system AND driving on the right, then I guess the US is 50/50 on taking up new concepts. I still think it's best to drive on the left though just in case there is an apocalypse and once again we need to have our sword hand ready to tackle an oncoming foe.

I'll have you know that my sword hand is always ready and able. I can drive, shift, smoke a cigarette, eat a taco and "handle may sword" all at the same time :cross: :p

Metric system. I served my apprenticeship in construction in England during the time they in transition between imperial and metric. All my tape measures had both metric and imperial. I still search out those tapes even today. I will often measure something using both units......Hmmm I need a piece of 3/4" ply 16" long by 233mm wide. It's the best of both worlds when you just pick the easiest one on the tape! :)

Why can't the world just realize we're better than them and get with the program? j/k...I work in the medical industry...most if it is metric. I have to use a conversion table when issuing the few items that use pounds (bless a calculator.)

Bah, that metric stuff is a fad. It'll never last.

I can just imagine watching a football game with my 354.882355 mL beer, as the quarterback makes a pass for First and 9.144.

lol. Hmm...I never hear about "cubic meters"...that's interesting...

We like what we have and are very resistant to change. I work in highly technical fields and use different systems as the need arises. But to convert based on, "the rest of the world has done it...", will not fly here. We are a country based on non-conformity and individuality. To expect us to conform to what the rest of the world has done will further strengthen our resolve. It's just the way we are wired.... Besides, most of us have spent a lifetime of falling off the wagon, in stead of jumping on it.:drunk:

Americans are all completely in agreement that they are non-conformists. ;)

We'll consider using the metric system when y'all stop driving on the wrong side of the road.

(Yeah, I said y'all... y'all got a prollem with that?)

:D

We'll consider using the metric system when y'all stop driving on the wrong side of the road.

Already stated!! Come the apocolypse, all right handed people riding their horses on the right side of the road will find their swords are only good for trimming the hedges at the side of the road. There IS a reason Brits drive on the left you know!! :D

I am perfectly fine with the left side driving bit.

But why you gotta go and put the wheel on the right side, switch the column lever but leave the pedals like ours? :drunk:

I drove my French car in the UK with the driver's side all mixed up for about four years. Meh, it was easy aside from the deafness caused by the screams of people in the passenger seat. Most passengers are fluffycats and don't know what the middle of the road looks like.

I drove my French car in the UK with the driver's side all mixed up for about four years. Meh, it was easy aside from the deafness caused by the screams of people in the passenger seat. Most passengers are fluffycats and don't know what the middle of the road looks like.

I always drive in Malaysia. Inevitably I go to the wrong side of the car at first. And signal my turn by turning on the wipers. Of course, it's Malaysia, so no one really cares. Or notices.

And what the F is the deal with 4 lane round abouts and 12 exits? Seriously?

I always drive in Malaysia. Inevitably I go to the wrong side of the car at first. And signal my turn by turning on the wipers. Of course, it's Malaysia, so no one really cares. Or notices.

And what the F is the deal with 4 lane round abouts and 12 exits? Seriously?

You forgot about changing gear with the window winder (When cars still had those)

Roundabouts are GREAT!! I wish the US had them! there are sooo many ways you can cheat the traffic on those things! much better than having to go to the trouble of stopping to a dead halt at every single junction! :D

You forgot about changing gear with the window winder (When cars still had those)

Roundabouts are GREAT!! I wish the US had them! there are sooo many ways you can cheat the traffic on those things! much better than having to go to the trouble of stopping to a dead halt at every single junction! :D

We have them here in NJ, but they are called circles and are slowly going away and being replaced with intersections. I have driven circles ever since I could drive and often every day so they don't bother me....unless traffic is crawling at a snail's pace because you loose your intimidation edge. In other words you never look into the other eyes of the other driver and they usually back off because they think you won't notice them and stop if they get in front of you.

Yeah the body shops love them- they keep them in business, cuz that's where all the accidents happen around here

Yeah the body shops love them- they keep them in business, cuz that's where all the accidents happen around here

Think about it though. In reality it is all culturally reversed. The four way stop should be an English thing......

4-way stop etiquette: Is it my turn? No. I think you stopped first. Please go before me, I'm sure you have the right of way......No!! You have the right of way, I stopped a full half a second after you, even though i was really trying to stop first. You beat me fair and square at stopping quickly. You go first, I insist!

Roundabout etiquette: F*ck you, I'm going, goodbye!

Remember a few years back when we bounced a Mars project on the surface instead of parachuting it down? A scientist at Martin calculated the landing using miles instead of kilometers. I think Martin placed the blame on the metric system....Devil's handywork if you ask me.

Oh, and we can't convert everyone to English because the Brits would be forced to translate ;)

The US will change to metric about the same time the World Cup becomes more popular (In the US) than the Super Bowl.

Think about it though. In reality it is all culturally reversed. The four way stop should be an English thing......

4-way stop etiquette: Is it my turn? No. I think you stopped first. Please go before me, I'm sure you have the right of way......No!! You have the right of way, I stopped a full half a second after you, even though i was really trying to stop first. You beat me fair and square at stopping quickly. You go first, I insist!

Roundabout etiquette: F*ck you, I'm going, goodbye!

ROFLMFAO!!!!!!!!!

You're close on the 4-way etiquette. It's more like this:
Hey *******, get movin! Don't you know you have the right-of-way? the gas is on the right! GO ALREADY! What are you waiting for, an engraved invitation? Ah, screw it- if you're too dumb to step on the gas, I'm gonna- hey-watch out! *crunch* Aaauuuugghhhh!!!!!

So how can I be a non-conformist?

You just have to dress like us and listen to the same music we do.

fvl6wy.jpg

Everyone is a bunch of nazi conformist cheerleaders.

If someone says 5 gallons, I can visualize it.

Yet if you tried to siphon my 5gal brew into your 5gal carboy you would have 1of my gal left over... see why it makes me angry?

Only 'cause I do drive on the right (which is also the correct) side of the road...

Why is it that you guys haven't adopted the metric system yet. lol I don't get it and it drives me crazy every time I try and use american recipes and have to convert them into how i have my ingredients or changing them yada yada. You guys are among 3 countries in the entire world that doesn't use the metric system! jump on the band wagon guys!

I vote everybody should follow Orfy's example and post your recipes in real version along with the made up US units. I don't feeeeeel like doing the math and hubby protests making 4 L less beer per batch.

I vote everybody should follow Orfy's example and post your recipes in real version along with the made up US units. I don't feeeeeel like doing the math and hubby protests making 4 L less beer per batch.

Weeelllll, if you want to get technical, the English sytem was here first, so that would mean that the metric system is the "made-up" one...........

But if you don't feel like doing the math, Beersmith has unit conversion...........

But if you don't feel like doing the math, Beersmith has unit conversion...........

Well my solution to the math was to create an excel spreadsheet that I dump base ingredients in and it converts it (with the formulas I gave it) mostly the part that bugs me is scaling it from 5US gallons to 6US gallons...

I have said it before, but I find it silly that (US) Americans want to make less beer per batch...

Why is it that you guys havent adpoted the metric system yet. lol I dont get it and it drives me crazy every time I try and use american recipes and have to convert them into how i have my ingredients or changing them yada yada. You guys are among 3 countries in the entire world that doesnt use the metric system! jump on the band wagon guys!

We've never been much for bandwagon jumping.

What do those "imperial" people keg them in? All of my kegs are 5 gallons.

Ahh, bottlers. Forgot. Sorry :D

I haven't had $300+ to start kegging, but when I do I will bottle the difference (I assume that works) and then get to set some aside for long-term aging if I want. Best of both worlds I figure.

Plus I like having bottles to take places, and don't relish the idea of bottling from the keg...

Latest posts

Back