experiences of novice cider-maker in islamic country (minimum tools)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

reynardthefox

Reaction score
greetings to my fellow cider-makers and cider-lovers

I live in an Islamic country where public alcohol consumption and trade is extremely frowned upon and is often accompanied by an assortment of punishments by law. (whipping and jail)
therefore, there are no brew shops in sight and the only kind of homebrewed alcohol is a raisin spirit which is above 50% ABV and destroys the whole gastrointestinal system, not to mention it has horrible smell and taste.
since I have a master's degree in English translation and applied linguistics, I've become familiar with the fine aspects of western culture. after reading a crazy load of online forums on homebrewing and watching a crazy load of youtube, I decided to make hard cider at home.

my main obstacles were yeast and airlock. I found a French baker's yeast called saf-levure (saf-Levure is dehydrated active dry yeast) and fashioned a DIY airlock from youtube. I bought a 7-liter plastic container and drilled a hole in the cap and glued in my airlock. bought some fresh, sweet and ripe apples from a nearby farmer's market and juiced them with my mom's fruit juicer at home. btw, i tried to stay as clean as possible using dish soap.
first, I activated a full teaspoon of the yeast in some warm water with two tablespoons of sugar and waited 15 minutes for it to foam. I stole about a pound of white sugar from my dad's stock ;) (he's a beekeeper) and dissolved it in some hot water and let it cool. (i eyeballed everything, no measurements whatsoever lol)
when the yeast was ready I pitched it to the cider and added the sugar. after stirring it well, I used some Teflon water-proofing tape around the container mouth and fastened the cap and airlock. I put the container in my closet and wrapped a blanket around it. it's early spring here and the temp is around 20 to 30 degrees Celcius.

much to my child-like amazement and wonder, it started bubbling like crazy in 24 hours. in a week, it became quiet and in 2 weeks I opened it to taste and rack. that first sip was heavenly. even though I have never tasted wine or cider in my life, I immediately knew that I was on the right track. it was just the right combination of sweet and alcoholic mixed with the joy of tasting my first homebrewed cider. it was the best feeling I could imagine. yum. yum .yum
there was quite a bit of sediment at the bottom so I siphoned it to a similar plastic container and put on the airlock so that I can get it a bit drier. after a week (this is day 21) I racked into glass bottles and just to be safe (no hydrometers, just going by what I have read) i put them in the fridge for a few days.
at this moment, I am sipping the first bottle and enjoying this lovely cider. there are no noticeable yeast flavors and I'm guessing the alcohol is about 6 to 8% ABV because it gives the lightest buzz ever. maybe I'll let a couple bottles age and see what happens and I'll definitely be making more soon.

i would like to thank homebrewtalk.com and the whole internet homebrewing community for helping me do the impossible. I hope another fellow Moslem-born reads this and gets brewing.

I would appreciate any suggestion you might have to help me make a better cider. I might even start making mead with my dad being a beekeeper and the 1 metric ton of natural honey stored in the next room lol
cheers

Welcome. I've never heard of a Muslim calling themselves a Moslem before. That's a pretty old term that's been done away with, like being called a Mohammedan.

Making an airlock is simple...a balloon with a pin hole in it.

Sounds good to me... I think there's a fair chance your ABV is a bit higher than you stated. I don't have any tips, but this was a great read! Thanks for sharing!

Sounds like you need to make mead my friend! Plus from my limited experience making mead and cider, mead is much more forgiving and simple.

All a mead requires is stabilizing it with potassium-metabisulfite (aka. campden tablets) or potassium-sorbate to halt fermentation, and then mixing more honey in to back-sweeten. Unless you have a very good system for temp control or you find a great way to stop the yeast before it ferments the beverage completely dry, cider can be quite challenging.

I remember having to rack some of my ciders 2-4 times off the yeast, all while cold crashing in a rigged-together system and using the chems to stop the yeast. Even then the little buggers managed to continue munching the sugar lower than where I tried to finish.

We hope all your future endeavors are successful... and fun, of course! Please keep us posted!

Welcome to the obsession. I mean hobby. Glad to hear you had good results; so many times when an unknown yeast is used for fermenting the results are not always good. Keep up the good work and keep us posted. I guess your only problem now is to very carefully pick your friends...

photo_2018-04-11_01-12-24.jpg
Sounds like you need to make mead my friend! Plus from my limited experience making mead and cider, mead is much more forgiving and simple.

All a mead requires is stabilizing it with potassium-metabisulfite (aka. campden tablets) or potassium-sorbate to halt fermentation, and then mixing more honey in to back-sweeten. Unless you have a very good system for temp control or you find a great way to stop the yeast before it ferments the beverage completely dry, cider can be quite challenging.

I remember having to rack some of my ciders 2-4 times off the yeast, all while cold crashing in a rigged-together system and using the chems to stop the yeast. Even then the little buggers managed to continue munching the sugar lower than where I tried to finish.

We hope all your future endeavors are successful... and fun, of course! Please keep us posted!

thanks for the vote of confidence. i can't find those chemicals even if i wanted to. but my cold crash did work (3 times racking). guess i'm just lucky.
i also did make 4 batches of mead today. each bottle has 2.5 liters of must. i just put in different amounts of honey (400, 500, 600, 700 grams) just because i was curious. i will not cold crash these and let them go all the way.
i'm also gonna buy a hydrometer soon from a lab hardware store and maybe make a couple batches of mead with fruit and cinnamon. if the whole mead thing is succesful. i'm thinking of cyser next.
cheers

Last edited:
I suggest you research "JAOM", Joe's Ancient Orange Mead; it uses bread yeast and has a very short turn around time, and is very loved around here. And many other places too!

thanks for the suggestion, i did check it out, what an awesome recipe. now i regret not reading this a few hours sooner ;). my next batch will definitely have oranges, cinnamon, and raisin (sundried, from my grandpa's raisin vineyard).
busy busy busy

photo_2018-04-11_03-03-04.jpg

Last edited:
Man with how busy you’ve been, it sounds like the obsession has already kicked in!

PS: Buy a back-up hydrometer along with your graduated cylinder for measuring. Hydrometers tend to be made of pretty thin glass and can be prone to breaking easily.

Cheers!

I am stumped...what kind of plant/tree is in the above picture?
imagine my pain when i had to find the queen in there. even then, i found that there were two queens. painful but quite rewarding ;). as for the plant itself the locals call it Geez lol

Back